SP3JC: Fearful of Corvette-ization of Ferrari styling | FerrariChat

SP3JC: Fearful of Corvette-ization of Ferrari styling

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by bitzman, Mar 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Ferrari SP3JC: The Corvette –ization of Ferrari

Say it aint’ so, Joe. I look at this picture of the latest one-off Ferrari, the SP3JC (sounds like the type number of an industrial drill) and damn if it doesn’t look like a Corvette.

Not even a new Corvette, just random bits from the late ‘60s (Mako Shark era) to the present one 's same general body shape.

Now I know the goal of Ferrari’s custom build shop is to give the customer what they want but hey, give me a break, if they want a Corvette, then they should buy a Corvette. Or maybe 30-40 of them considering how much this car probably set them back.

There’s a movement in fender lower down. This change also flows into the doors that have less prominent creases that on the coupe. A pair of carbon fiber roll hoops now sit behind the seats , y’wonder do they have the strength to hold the car up if it’s upside down. A narrow wing connects them.

The rear is where the SP3JC breaks with; the TdF or the Corvette.

It brings back two taillights per side. The louvers are off putting. It seems like two car rear ends jammed together.

It’s two tone like the ‘50s but in an odd way which the people at Ferrari say shows the client's "passion for Pop Art." (Hey, it's a good thing he didn't go for Andy Warhol!) Colors are Azzurro Met (blue) for the nose and Bianco Italia (a shade of white with some shadows of silver) over the rest. Giallo Modena (yellow) is the color for the hood's horizontal stripe, the number 3, and portions of the nacelles.

No interior picture but they say blue leather with white inserts was chosen.

The is based on the F12tdf's 6.3-liter V12 with 769 horsepower (574 kilowatts) and 520 pound-feet (705 Newton-meters) mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox. The 0-60 mph time shames a 427 Cobra , with 0 to 62 miles per hour (100 kilometers per hour) achieved in 2.9 seconds and a top speed of 211 mph (340 km/h). I don’t even know if there is a roof actually. It took Ferrari only three years to build it, which in the car design world is forever.

By the way the client is a free lance writer named John Collins. Well, he must be very successful as free lance writing doesn’t may much unless you write for VANITY FAIR.

I am hoping if the Corvette goes mid-engined that Ferrari’s one-offs will look less like Corvettes but then, egad, what if Corvette designers steal every design feature of mid-engine Ferraris?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Dude if you don’t know who John Collins is you should just delete this thread. SMH. OMG.

3. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    +1000 :rolleyes:

crinoid likes this.
  4. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Is it possible that someone, who built a company like Talacrest that became the world's number one classic Ferraris dealer with more than 1750 cars sold, ordered two one-offs Ferraris that look like Corvettes ? Even if this men was completely blind he would sweat from his pores more knowledge about all Ferrari models than the majority of us. IMO the only "Corvette-style" detail you can find on the SP3JC are the portholes in the bonnet to show off the 6.2-litre V12 beneath.

crinoid likes this.
  5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Four wheels is the only similarity I can see.

anunakki and MDEL like this.
  6. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I much prefer the portuguese word

CORVETIZAÇÃO

7. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Please accept my humble apologies for not knowing who the customer was; there's even a book about him out recently.(see below) But I
    am running two more Corvette pictures, more evidence in a case I am clearly losing....as a way of making amends, here's the blurb from his website: https://talacrest.com/talacrest-classic-ferrari-book/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A fascinating new book by John Collins.
    This book is a fascinating insight into the world of dealing in classic collector Ferraris and other exotic cars from John Collins. It tells the inside story about John Collins and Talacrest, from its beginning to present day and is also a wonderful catalogue of the world's most fabulous cars that Talacrest and John have been involved with.

With approximately 350 pages, the book is prolifically illustrated with stunning archive pictures from Auto Italia and Marcel Massini amongst others and includes many important Ferrari road and racing cars. Many are accompanied with histories, track tests and how the deals were done.

The book has been published to commemorate Talacrest's 30th Anniversary and documents the start of the business with borrowed capital from mates in the local pub, to the development of an enterprise which became the first Classic Car dealer to win a Queen's Award for Export.

A must read for all Ferrari enthusiasts
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

8. DeFerrariman

DeFerrariman Rookie

Nov 26, 2017
    Lately i hear a lot of people say modern Ferrari's look like the corvette . But my opinion is that it is the other way around. If I'm not mistaking the 458 is older than the new style Corvette. And the 458 wat the beginning of the "new" more aggressive styling of Ferrari

Sent from my SM-G965F using FerrariChat.com mobile app