So... this is what happens you valet!?! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

So... this is what happens you valet!?!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, Jun 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Kind of the way I look at it. But really I will hopefully never live in a place where I have to valet one of my cars. On the other hand a rental car while on vacation would be just fine.

2. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Okay, okay... Let's just say you are fortunate enough to be dating a really hot, desirable chick (for this scenario, just presume other people also think she looks really good!). And, after a bit, she ends up cheating on you. So, because a hot chick cheated on you once, does that mean that you will never date another hot, desirable girl again? No - you gage every instance on a case-by-case basis.

So conversely - if I have let valet drive my cars on over 50 occasions in the past few years, and I encounter 1 single bad experience with my car sustaining damage like what happened last week, does that then mean that I should never again valet this or any other car???

My answer is no - simply gage every instance on a case-by-case basis. THE ONLY LESSON I HAVE LEARNED FROM ALL OF THIS, was to have instead gone back to the valet immediately upon learning of the broken wiper stalk, and placed him on notice/attention while getting them to take pics, write an incident report, etc. to document what took place.

That, my friends, is what I strongly recommend anyone else do if it happens to them, rather than my sheepish reaction of - I'm on a date, its raining, its dark, I don't want to make a big fuss, hopefully its something simple that I can tackle on my own during daylight - which was my genuine train of thought as an overall easy going guy...

4. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree with the above, but I just don't like valet service as a rule.

I just don't like anyone I don't know having the keys and access to my car.

A car in ways is like a house and I would not let someone in my house I don't know.

5. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Luckily (by the sounds of it) its not something that's ever caught on over here, well certainly not in my part of the country (as I nibble my piece of straw a bit further), although when I did pull up at a boutique type hotel once in the 360, the valet asked me to park it as he couldn't work out how to get it in gear...he did save me a double space though so worth a tip!

Not something I'd ever be comfortable with.

6. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Same here. I offer close friends the key so that they can enjoy the experience but I've heard enough horror stories (some of them on this site) about irresponsible (or worse) valets that I'm not going to risk it. But everyone has different priorities and there are plenty of people willing to hand over the keys to a car worth more than all of mine put together. It's all in how you look at things.

7. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Not really a fair comparison-- the risk/reward ratios are completely different. There's almost no upside to letting a mininum wage employee park my car. The potential upside of dating a hot girl is worth the risk. :)

8. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    ''you gauge every instance on a case by case basis'' The lady wife might also have something to say about my date with a really hot chick ! (chick ? God, I hate that word)
    Could lead to loss of wife and 400I. But on another point......handing your car keys to a Valet in effect writes off your insurance. same applies when you 'give' you car to a dealer on a sale or return basis. You have, in effect given your car away in both instances, and if your car disappears...go figure ! Check the small print on your policy.
    How do I know this ?...don't ask.

9. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Granted the damage to the stalk for the op is not earth shattering; it can be repaired/replaced. I get that.

I think if you throw in the "hassle" factor too it's just not worth handing your keys over to someone that's never going to treat your car the way you would.

It's not about the money. It's the bs of going through the time to fix it too.

Just my take, but everyone is different.

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    OttoB please don't take my comment the wrong way. I applaud you for driving your car and using it for real life things.

11. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Years ago, I started following the direction of or own FChatter, Napolis/Jim Glickenhaus:
    "Where would you like me to park it?"
    I'll tip a little over, as if they parked it in a better spot, and they're happy.

I don't valet often (ONLY when necessary), but haven't had any push-back yet. I'm fine with leaving for another establishment, if that ever happens.

I've learned to dislike the slacker 'slide -down-the-seat-bolster" entry, too. A bank VP did that in the Boxer once, so it's not just kids who are so clueless. It's easier to just assume they all are, and avoid the moment.

12. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve

Agree. Sometimes valet parking is unavoidable, e.g.,weddings, etc., I get that.....but I try to avoid valet parking whenever possible.

I can still enjoy my life and my car without someone parking it for me. Yes, it's just a car, but when I take my Ferrari out to pick up bagels on the weekend I park a few spaces over just to avoid the inevitable door ding too.

13. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I wholeheartedly agree! The only mechanic I have ever gotten to work on my car - Michel - is 40+ miles each way, which I would inevitably have to do in order to repair/replace the piece (an hour drive each way but easily then doubled if I get the piece sent out to be repaired versus buying another one that has also seen its fair share of years and use, to swap it in)...

None taken at all from anyone - this is a forum for all to share their ideas and express their points of view!

I am surprised not to have heard from others with similar stories...

As an update, the owner of the valet service spoke to the driver of the car, who swears nothing ever happened. Because someone peed on my Cheerios, I don't get mad - I get even and will await to get 3 decent estimates for repairs before the likely filing of a small claims suit. We are now in summer here in Florida, where it is likely to rain 5-6 days a week, so this can be become a nuisance rather quickly. That reminds me - I have to remain on the date's good graces until she signs off an affidavit of what she saw too!

I had sent both the valet company owner as well as then subsequently the 'manager' of the establishment a detailed email of what transpired, along with pics. I have a clean conscience that I reasonably tried, but I have to weigh in the options of how to legally approach the 'I say, they say' hurdle.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Our HERO!

Welcome back!

This is the way forward....

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Just wanted to say, here....chicks really dig a guy that can care less about bad things happening.

Because they do, every day!

My Ferrari has been vandalized a lot, over the years.
    But they are still losers, and I still drive a Ferrari.

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Lot of truth right here, not always easy to do though.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No it's not...

The acid down a cracked open window at the Hospital was especially damaging and hurtful, as it had to be an employee of the system.

Smashed tail lights and so forth ...."just parts"!!
    :D :D

18. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  19. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The Mondial switch will be close enough to work & is a good appearance match, however IIRC, the Mondial switch has much longer wires than your switch, and uses different pin-out connectors. So 'some assembly is required'

Jason, tnx for the compliment! Appreciatively, Verell

PS: only 1 'r' and 2 'l's in Verell ;)

20. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Sorry about spelling! I left you a VM at your nbumber from unobtanium, as there are a couple of parts I need, and was wondering if you make (or could make). A sun visor clip (female receiving piece in crema), and a seat rail cover (driver's side seat, right side cover). What's the best number to reach you at?

21. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
  22. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    I did and have left multiple voice mails. Am i better off leaving one for 'Verell,' or under the 'Unobtanium' option?

23. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    My apologies,
    I was away for 2 weeks & am still catching up on the numerous accumulated VMs.

I've listened to your voicemail & will call you today.

Unobtainium is the best to leave VMs related to Ferrari parts.

24. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    No apologies needed! Just wasnt sure if I was leaving them in the correct box! Thanks!