So... this is what happens you valet!?! | FerrariChat

So... this is what happens you valet!?!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, Jun 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #1 OttoB, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Your car - its your pride and joy, especially when it is working as it should and the 'to-do' list is so very small. So... you take it out on the town and behold, end up somewhere that has no parking arrangements other than valet. Oh, and you are with a date and its raining a bit.

I ended up this past weekend at a very nice place nearby who is used to parking patrons' high end cars. I even told the valet to take good care of it as I was collecting my valet stub from the soon-to-be driver. Famous last words, I guess...

When I hop in the car about an hour later, there's a line of cars behind me and I move out of the way, but immediately noticed that the windshield wiper stalk cap was 'floating' and had no resistance. As the valet had been pulling up my car, I had seen all the different lights at the front of the car turn on and off as he was headed in my direction - nothing with the wipers.

Once inside the car and realizing what happened, I pulled the car out of the way and my jaw dropped as I was able to see the broken plastic piece in the floor mat by my feet. Suffice it to say that the valet driver likely twisted the dang stalk as if revving a motorcycle until it gave way and broke, yet didn't say anything.

Whereas my instinct was to tell them immediately what happened, I preferred taking a look at it myself in daylight to see if it was something simple. Alas, it doesn't seem so much...

This is the link to eurospares.co.uk although I cannot find the stalk part number just for it (the one in the diagram turns the lights on, not the wipers).

Ferrari 400i (1983 Mechanical) - Steering Control: Page 044 | Order Online Eurospares

Then, I found one substantially similar to our cars on eBay, from a Mondial, and it looks worse for wear:

Ferrari mondial stalk control headlights, signals, wipers vitaloni | eBay

Because its plastic, I highly suspect it will hold up over time if glued back on. Anyone have any experience with their wiper stalk, or with valet?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    I am so sorry that is a bummer. I bet that Dude was sick and scared. Shoot those pics to Verral at Unobtanium. I bet he can fix it. He repairs and modifies stalks all the time.

3. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

The valet folks are paying for it, right?

I gotta assume you went back and had a chat with them today.

It's bakelite, I think, not gonna glue up well.

Replacement is pricey, gonna be a bad day for the restaurant when you tell them the cost. I had one repaired for my dino. Tom Shaughnessy knew someone who fixed em and he hooked me up. Not sure if it was Verell, and I think he's in semi retired mode.

Hope it works out.

D

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    One of the many reasons I never, ever, ever, ever, valet my car. Any car, let alone one of my collectibles.

Some of my California friends love valet......they think I'm crazy for driving looking for parking.

Threads like this validate my decision. Never, ever, ever, valet a car.

6. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    The establishment I was visiting indicated to me that the valet is a separate entity all together. So, I left them a voicemail and will continue following up - I happen to be an attorney by trade, but already can tell this is going to be a waste of time.

Can anyone help me identify the specific part number for the wiper stalk? Per my initial post, no. 5 in the diagram from Eurospares seems to be for the light stalk only. I am optimistic that if the wiper stalk is sold separately, that it could be a matter of simply replacing it?

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    and now for an alternative point of view, that stalk is famous for cracking and being borderline on breaking. When it is time for it to go, even a mild twist will make it disintegrate.

So, is it the valet's fault? maybe not.
    Will they pay for it? Probably so, they have insurance
    Do you blame them? No, you drive an old car with cracked plastic stalk. It will happen today, tomorrow, or the next day.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yup. Agree completely. You would have been holding those parts in your hand today either way.

Fix it and move on.

oddparts.net

Best in the business.

And no, valets never park the Ferrari's. Dont get a big thrill driving the Ferrari to a restaurant. Thats what the truck and Mercedes is for. Ferraris are for taking to lunch, 300 miles that a way.

9. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    You won't see a dime or even an apology form the valet company. Definitely best to move on.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Call Rutlands and see if they have a used unit sitting on a shelf. Never know.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    At this age they'll all be ready to break. We have been dealing with these switches since the 275's. Their lifespan is well understood.

12. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I beg to differ on your perspective, but everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion. For starters, my car did not have a cracked plastic stalk when it arrived at the establishment and unsure how you arrived at that conclusion. Secondly, but for the valet driver twisting the heck out of it, in all likelihood believing that it would turn the wiper function on (instead of simply lowering the lever/stalk), then I would have gladly left the premises with a fully functional wiper stalk and not have to deal with the issue for the next few days/weeks.

So yes, I do blame them for breaking it, and do believe it is the valet's fault. Both my friend and I saw firsthand while it was probably taking place that the driver also did not know how to operate the lights on my car as it looked like it belonged in some parade with every conceivable light being turned on and off, except for the hazards, seconds before parking it and handing me my ticket.

I still need a part number, to the extent anyone has that information available.

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think I remember see one a while back on eBay for $1600.00

14. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The stalk was never sold separately. The entire switch assembly was sold as a unit. If you could find a NOS replacement switch assembly it would be $1000-2000.

As Rifledriver said, the plastic on these stalks was not very good when they were new.
    Decades later pretty much every stalk has small cracks in it. If you look closely at your headlight and turn signal stalks at their bases I will bet that there are small cracks in them

He also recommended one of the best places to have it repaired: O.D.D Parts - Home
    The other is Unobtainium Supply Co.—HOME, but Verrell is getting his knees replaced, so he may not be able to fix it for some time.

Both of them know their stuff and are the only places that I would consider sending the switch for repair.

It is too bad that the valet broke it, but many of the parts on these old cars are fragile and also not easy/intuitive to use. I work in a Ferrari Dealership, and none of the new car guys can start/drive/operate a vintage Ferrari properly. Why would you expect a valet to be able to?

It's not the end of the world. Get it fixed and continue to enjoy your car.

15. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    There is a deep learning curve for operating these cars. Odd ergonomics in general, strange shift patterns, no 2nd gear until warm, hard to get to reverse, heavy clutch, manual steering, low ground clearance, old school and ineffective parking brakes, hidden interior door handles, and the infamously delicate switchgear. Definitely a departure from the Infinitis and BMWs the valet would experience the rest of the night. Combine that with some kid thinking "oh my God, I'm in a Ferrari!" and it's a valet disaster waiting to happen.

That said, you want to be able drive your car as a car, you have something that costs less than a lot of the loaded SUVs in the lot, you want to go to this particular spot, and you don't want to be the guy who comes across as "Young man, this is a FERRARI, you may not touch it!"

It's a shame - sorry about your aggravation. The worst part is ending a nice dinner date with something that weighs on your mind.

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Actually I'm pretty well recovered, with little backlog, so could start shortly after it arived. Turn_around is typically 5 to 9 business days, 3 to 5 days if just a knob.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    How many 308 turn indicator switches have been broken by people who have no idea how to get into the car without hitting it with your knees?

Some cars are just too fragile for inexperienced drivers to get into. Cars today are just designed around all these issues so people get lazy or assume they are all the same.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Its frustrating!

18. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I would tend to agree, but for the fact that there was no choice BUT to valet park the car. Given that, there was no way for the OP to park it himself, enhancing the chance that the valet guys could/would break something.

Now, one could argue that NEXT time you'd take the DD, eliminating the risk, but, the damage is done, and the valet guys did the damage. Not a lot of room for argument if you're doing the valet parking.

And, the schmuck who did it didn't even tell the guy it happened, making it worse.

D

19. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Well there's your good news for the day!!

D

20. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    This rings so very true... I didn't even bother looking at the car on Sunday, so as to allow me to enjoy the weekend. In certain areas/places, valet is the only possible alternative and some individuals have a hard time recognizing that in various areas throughout the country. In Southern Florida, it is the norm whether you like it or not :(

The DD's are exactly just that - DD's. I enjoy driving the 400i 2-4 times a week and, the place I visited is very ritzy, not like a Jack in the Box, so the valet caliber also should have been somewhat more experienced. It was even raining, and I gladly took it out as I want to drive the wheels off of it after restoring it for years! One of the many things that suck is that I had a rapport with the driver before he parked my car, from previous occasions (including one of my DD)! Yet, I know he knows he broke it, and was coy about it.

At this point, its not even the money as much as the principle. I will likely send a demand letter and file a small claims suit against both the restaurant and valet service. When I spoke to the owner of the valet service yesterday, he wanted me to text him the pics and was surprised when I asked him for his email address. While on the phone, I had him spell the name of his company so that I could locate them on the state business regulations database and he knowingly ommitted his correct mailing address when we spoke. I sent him a detailed email and no response as of yet, but again - his reluctance to provide me his email, business name, and giving me incomplete address already tells me that it won't be easy and for me, I don't want to be persona non grata at the place, despite it not being my fault they broke off a piece of my car like a Kit Kat bar.

21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Glad to hear you're doing well! I will be sending one of the units this fall for a general rebuild.

22. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I can't imagine ever giving them another nickel unless they make you fully whole and apologize for the deception. I'm pretty sure you can find other places to eat and these *******s shouldn't be able to escape responsibility for this. No wonder we have so many problems these days-- so few people ever hold anyone accountable anymore.

23. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    I mean really? Didn't you see what happened to Ferris Bueller?

24. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Ferris Buellers Day Off...........good film.........like the idea of winding the mileometer back by reversing up on chocks !! I wonder how many dealers have tried it ?

Anyway.......you go to the bank or dentist or visit friends....does someone park your car for you.? You kidding? Let some numb nuts drive my car ? and then expect a tip ? What could go wrong ? Lesson learned...fix it , move on....life's too short.

25. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I won't even valet my 2009 Town and Country mini van.

It's not worth it.

I'll walk another 200 feet.