So if I wanted a Nissan Skyline R32... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

So if I wanted a Nissan Skyline R32...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by sherpa23, Mar 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    Be careful with any Skyline , i had a R34 , i liked it alot , it was brought here in pieces and assembled , Pennsylvania is where i bought it from ,it was titled as a special construction vehicle , well here in Ny , thats no good , they don`t have that here , so i was brought into the special registrations unit , which in the Ny police , they did a investigation and finally re-titled my car as a Custom vehicle using the Penn. affixed VIN # .Well the car was a GTS type M and smoked the tires even in 5th gear, needless to say it had some work , well i sold it to buy my wrecked Lamborghini, but i will say that the there are Goverment officials that hunt down these Skylines , i see alot of skylines pop up on Ebay then later they pop up again but with the stipulation the car Must be Exported out of USA. So beware. , I know of 3 for sale in Boston

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    As stated in several of my other posts here, I am not doing that. I am importing a car legally from Japan. No disassembly/reassembly, no dodgy registration, no VIN swapping, on and on and on.

Thanks to some of the posts on here, I made contact with some great people who have stellar reputations and I'm working on putting a deal together for the right R32.

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Will you kindly post or pm your contacts? As mentioned earlier. I'm looking for an R32 as well and my search has not been fruitful.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

4. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
  5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I will once it's all said and done. There are too many moving parts to the whole thing to lay it all out just yet but once the car is secure and on the boat, I'll do that.

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Stellar reputations aside the R32 is still not "road legal" (show and display only) in the US unless things have changed since '11/2013. Do as I did 3yr's ago and personally speak with a rep from the Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Not taking a piss just stating what I have learned and have been told. The whole thing back in the late '90s and early '2k's was importing JDM vehicles, which is legal, and then the buyers found out they could not register their vehicles for road use.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #32 sherpa23, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    I don't know if you've looked at a calendar lately but it's not 2013 any more.

And I spoke with not only NHTSA but Customs and Border officials. I also have documents enroute from them. Since you've apparently done this before, then you know exactly what those documents are and what it means. It's not amateur hour here.

8. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #33 sherpa23, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    Let me add this, as there seems to be some confusion or misconceptions as to what I'm after or doing as people keep chiming in with things that I'm absolutely not doing or going to do:

1) I am not bringing in a car that is not fully legal and compliant to be imported by the time it would arrive, which is summer 2014. All this talk about 2013 rules and what not is just plain stupid. It's 2014 and the cars eligible for this year are entirely different. If you know who to speak with and you get taken seriously, it's no big secret as to what's eligible for importation during the 2014 calendar year that is not on any list before, if necessary.

2) I am going through all of the proper channels, completing every check, procedure, verification, and rule necessary. When I say that I have good contacts with people who know what they're doing, that means the government, too. I am not some penniless hack or dreamer calling and asking useless questions and wasting people's time. I have gotten all of the right people to respond quickly with very good information, documentation, and forms. I have documents being processed now, and things are in motion.

3) I am not cutting any corners or going to engage in any shady BS, like bringing in a car in parts, swapping VINs or any of that other stuff. Yes, you can point out all of the cars that are here and that "it can be done" but the law is very clear on what's eligible to be here and how it can get here and that's all I'm going to do. End of story.

4) I have conducted background checks, done due diligence, and made the calls to vet who can properly assist with the legal importation and registration with a normal 50 state US title.

All of that is done. Thanks to some very informational posts here and pm's, I was able to get the info that I needed and I have several steps already completed and all that truly remains is to secure the right car and get it on the boat.

9. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Glad you took the time to properly look into this, everything you said is true. People love to complain about this issue, I had a similar style car make bring a trailer and you should have seen the negative comments

10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I never doubted you were not doing it right, sorry for having an opinion, carry on.

11. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    ...............................Just trying to help., to some officials they could care less what steps you did to get the car here legally or otherwise,its just the way it is , good luck they are reliable cars .

12. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Here's a question. I figure a lot of the interest in these cars comes from their mystique and the huge following from gran turismo series. I know they can make a ton of power, but how are they to drive? Does the driving feel live up to the hype?
    I've always wondered with these cars.

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I have driven two R32s, an R33, and a Mitsubishi Evolution IV. I'll probably also import the Evo IV when it becomes legal, which is a while away.

14. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ok.....thanks. If it's different then JDM Legends and/or Sean Morris please let me know. Coleman Sachs over at the NHTSA is a good government contact too if you haven't talked to him yet.

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I agree that the interest in GTR's increased 1K fold with GT but I like to think they were always a desired vehicle for true car people just like the WRX was.

16. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My experience is with the R32 GT-S and GT-R.

The GT-R drives really well. Handles great in stock form. Good power, brakes, etc.

That said, it's 25 years old now and I don't think you'd be blown away by it after driving say, an Sti or Evo. Most modern performance cars have surpassed it in many ways.

Do I want one? Yes. Do I want one over most cars including many Ferraris? Hell yes.

I've followed these damn cars (and the whole importation sage) since I first learned of Motorex as a teenager in 1999. It's been a long wait.

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've driven a 400bhp R33 GTS-t which was nothing short of a huge laugh. Experience with several GTR's (excluding the R35) at different power levels from stock until 700 at the wheels. Absolutely amazing. Ride obviously differs between all due to different suspension...but the power even on the 700bhp example (on a 2.8) came in very nicely.

Probably because I was close to it...the r33 GTS-t was the most fun, but if I where to buy I'd have an R33 GTR. Almost bought a 600bhp one last year but due to no one here able to service it I refrained :(. Still kicking myself for it, but will do it once I'm back in civilization.

18. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    My Skyline had about 600 Hp , i never dynoed it , but thats what the previous owner stated, it was a fun car, it took a while to get used to the 4 wheel steering while drifting, if i knew i could unplug the Hica i would have for more precise control, The only bad thing about RHD cars is when making a left hand turn on a 4 lane road, for example you are stopped at a green trying to make a left turn and somebody across the intersection is doing the same you actually cannot see if someone is trying to come around them,You just cannot see being on the right side of the car, It is dangerous, so i just stopped doing it , and instead found a different route to keep me out of that predicament. its worth it .

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Does that mean you can import AND register (to actually use on the road) an R33 GTR? Small chance I'm heading stateside soon...

20. RareAir23

RareAir23 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    What is the "all-in" cost for an R32 GT-R to be imported vs. market value in the U.S.?

21. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've been told to expect $20k-30k depending on quality.

As far as market value, who knows. But, I imagine the days of the $40k and up Motorex R32s are coming to a rapid close.

22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    It's hard to tell now because just like Ferraris going for a premium when they're just released, the prices right now are a little inflated. People paying a premium now will feel sorry later.

I tried to buy a 50k km car that was very nice. It was in a Japanese sale. I valued it at $20k max and sent them $21k as my high offer. It went for way over that to someone who is going to import it and try to flip it. I don't think that much of that makes sense in the long run.

23. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Very true.

I'm also interested in what kind of demand there actually is and what pans out. There hasn't been as much chatter on forums like I expected so not sure where it will actually go. Don't know how many people are willing to spend money on a 25 year old Japanese car that they likely won't see in person until months later when it actually arrives.

24. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    IMO there is not much of a real market here for them , sure there are kids ( like me a 50 year old kid ) that would love to have a GTs or GTR but just do not have the cash,There are GTr `s here allready with the proper docs that just do not sell, alot of the Ebay adds are full of shill bidding,so there is nothing to really go by, I have a GTR in mind that i want to buy , its been for sale for years now, i might be the only one seriously thinking about buying it , Last year i offered $ 22K for it but the guy + his partner is holding out for $ 25K. Most of your Skyline interest is from younger people that can`t afford a Honda Civic, So when it comes to sell its a real pain . I watch the Skyine market pretty close.and it took me a while to sell mine .

25. Sfiga

Sfiga Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    Try Australia they are huge here with young guys and older collectors. We are very close to Japan and rhd and all skylines are legal here. I've owned an R32 Gtr myself, fantastic fun with a few mods. R32 Gtr prices are between 15k for a normal one to 35k for a collector 'Australian delivered, non import'