So if I wanted a Nissan Skyline R32... | FerrariChat

So if I wanted a Nissan Skyline R32...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by sherpa23, Mar 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #1 sherpa23, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    ... How would I go about doing it?

Does anyone have any knowledge about what's the best way to find and import a jdm car like that? How many are currently in the us and who takes care of them, maintenance-wise? I assume that I would get one from our more lenient neighbors above and not japan but still, i would like to know more from the jdm experts here.

If anyone can shed any light on good sources for info, whether that be people or websites, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
  3. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    #3 SamuliS, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    UK is full of JDM imports.

Pistonheads
    AutoTrader
    eBay.co.uk
    CarandClassic
    gumtree

They are grey imports and might have import year stated as model year. Cars that have spent long time and winters on UK roads are rust buckets but find well kept and/or fresh import and your good. I've imported cars from UK so if you got intrested I can help you a bit on how and where..

4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I have seen several R32s in Florida, as well as R33s & R34s. Importing a car 25 years old is pretty straight forward.

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Thanks, guys. Spencer, your post was especially helpful.

6. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I believe most people bring them in from Canada if I'm not mistaken. Now that they're 25 yo it should be fairly easy.

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Contact these guys: Harlow Jap Autos | Home

I can't help you with legalities of importing a car to the states as I know nothing about it, but HLJ are very highly regarded importers in the UK who will help you source a car of the spec you want (whether this is in the UK, Japan or anywhere else for that matter). They don't do bad cars. Every single car I've seen going through them have been very good condition. Highly regarded on gtr.co.uk forum, too. I've never heard of a bad review.

8. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    rightdrive.ca in Canada can help (no affiliation). Maintenance is a little difficult for more sophisticated parts but it is all fairly accessible. The tougher ones include control arms and some other items that are not stocked often and aftermarket doesn't exactly go out of the way to make them.

The cars are a blast to drive but RHD can be difficult in a populated area. If you are just out of town in a smaller city you should have no issues.

I can't wait to get back into one when the time is right.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Parts are very easy to get from the UK. Plenty of GTR's being broken for parts still, lots and lots of parts available at any point (get on the forums, I used to frequent GTR.co.uk a lot but skylineowners.com (or.co.uk, forgot) is quite large these days.

I've driven cars (extensively) with the wheel on the 'wrong' side or the particular country I found myself in. In Spain I had a RHD car, over here I had a LHD oversized car (and driven LHD cars of different sizes in Africa). The only issue there is is when overtaking on a windy roads and getting out of small junctions onto a main road. For the former, an easy fix is to hang back 10-20 meters or so. For the latter not so much, but never been a massive problem.

It takes a bit of getting used to but that's it really...

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Should be really easy now since the early ones are over 25 years of age. No federal EPA or DOT requirements need to be met, but your State laws may still require some changes. At least here in FL they don't care. Hell, they don't even care with all the R33s in this state as long as they paid their $50 or so annual registration.

11. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    R32 isn't legal yet, also expect to pay 17-25k for one once legal. I'm very familiar with this area. Sent you a PM of two places to contact

12. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    What's not legal about it? I've seen at least 4 Skylines in the DFW area over the years and all were fully registered and had tags.

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    There are a bunch of R33's and R34's in Florida, too. That doesn't necessarily indicate that they're truly legal or here legally. There are lots of cases where the feds track down cars that were fraudulently registered and crush them. There were many Skylines imported as shells and and parts and reassembled here then registered as kit cars. Or had VINs swapped, etc. I don't know if that would be the case with the cars you saw or the Florida but I know from my research that they're not technically legal for import until later in the year.

I already have reached out to people and I expect to have a car (fully legal) in the next year or so. Thanks for everyone's input.

14. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    ^^^^ Correct. The only truly legal R33 and R34s are the Motorex ones. Even then, those are sketchy.

Plenty of state-legal ones running around. Texas and Florida were the most common states to bring cars in and get titles. In Idaho you can pretty much title a Matchbox car. Had several friends title random JDM cars, including a couple that were brought in cut in half and then rewelded together once they arrived. Quick trip to the DMV and bam, titles and license plates.

I'm also looking for an R32 GT-R. Any info you can pass along would be much appreciated. I have been in contact with R-International tracking down a car for me. They brought in these cars:

Show Or Display: 1990 Nissan Nismo Skyline R32 GT-R - Approved

JDM Legends, while a good company, has been frustrating. They stated they wouldn't be be bringing in imports until early next year so that they would be fully clear of the 25 year limit. I think they're wrong as others have started to trickle in, but that's their business.

15. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    The regular r32 is legal to import as of now. It goes by production date not by model year.

16. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    They still need to be compliant with the emissions and safety regulations in effect at the time of their production. When the law first came into effect, 25 years before that there were no emissions regulations, so it was straightforward. Nowadays, going back 25 years takes you 1989. That still brings you up against emissions and safety regulations. They certainly did exist 25 years ago at the Federal level, and at many state levels as well.

Be careful who promises you what--half the time people know just enough to register a car in their county. You move out, you are on your own, and can get your car seized and crushed.

17. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  18. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    It's been a few years since I brought my car in but I'm pretty sure the feds don't care once it's over 25 years old.

PS here is a link, please note state regs may still apply, sorry California.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/218/~/requirements-for-importing-a-vehicle-%2F-vehicle-parts

19. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    As far as I know, the first of the R32's is not yet 25 years old, as the first models were built in the latter half of the year. Someone imported one earlier this year by purposely omitting the build month on his application, as was allowed to import it. I also believe that a Nismo edition car is eligible for Show and Display exemption, but a run-of-the-mill GTR is not. I guess what I'm saying is - just because someone pulled it off, doesn't make the car legally conforming.

20. I<3strippers

I<3strippers Karting

Apr 22, 2012
    VIR
    Glad you have found a good candidate that is federally legal. I have a few friends with ILLEGAL Supras, Miata's, 240sx's (s13, s14, s15) Aristo's, Rx-7's, ITR's and obviously, Skylines.

My one friend has owned a S15, 2 Aristo's, and one BNR R33. None have been federally legal. A huge risk in my opinion. All of the 240's and the skyline's have been registered as 240sx. All have been VIN swapped. Not only is that a federal offense, if the car is ever wrecked its true "value" is now lost.

Dont forget the KAIZO cars, they brought in a few skylines before they were shut down.

People dont understand the difference in "state legal" and federally legal, it's very frustrating. They think that because the local DMV granted them plates, its legal.

While it is "honda-tech" this is a very good thread regarding importing a grey market vehicle.

Importing a Grey Market Vehicle (the facts on what's legal and what's not) - Honda-Tech

21. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Oh yeah I forgot all about the Kaizo cars. They got in trouble pretty quick and faded fast.

22. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
  23. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    Im not sure i would want to buy someone elses 1000hp project. R32 looks better anyway.

24. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  25. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    +1 that's one fairly expensive drag car.

At least they're not trying to pass it off as a car you can register in any state.