Smog check help | FerrariChat

Smog check help

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by fullmonty, Feb 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fullmonty

fullmonty Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2007
    LALAland
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Looking for help, am located in West Los Angeles, the shop I used to go to for service closed due to the owners unfortunate medical situation. my 97' is showing a check engine light, needs a smog check this month at a Star station, has fabspeed exhuast and Tubi. Thank you. Mel

miketuason likes this.
  2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You are screwed. You already fail if fabspeed headers. Contact Plugzit. He might have parts to swap out for smog testing and be willing to do the swap if he has time. He is pretty busy.

3. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    If the check engine light wasn't on the you'd probably get away with it. But the check engine light changes everything

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

4. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Have you used an OBD reader to see what caused the light?

5. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    have Karl at Black horse on Robertson and reset it, see if it comes back on

6. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Depending on the fault ( could be numerous things) if you can clear the light and set the monitors, aftermarket exhaust etc. shouldn't be a problem as most smog shops don't know what stock looks like.

7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Once you get the check engine light fixed, go to KCM SMOG in Carson, he does not care what exhaust system you have, nor would he know the difference, as long as your car passes the threshold, your good, my car passes no problem 89 328, Tubi exhaust. He may or may not put your car on the dyno drum, mine has to be on the drum in order to pass. Good luck,

Thank you

8. turbolou

turbolou Rookie

Jan 24, 2012
    Lake Forest California
    Full Name:
    Lou Czarnota
    What you have said here publicly could cause that smog station to lose their license & a hefty fine. Lets hope some smog Nazi doesn't read this.

9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

I did not think of that, highly unlikely, but maybe you can have the mods remove it for me, he smogs my car every 2 years, never had a problem, the cars either pass or they dont.

Thank you