Simple question Sunday. When does a car become vintage ? | FerrariChat

Simple question Sunday. When does a car become vintage ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ScottS, Jul 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I’m contemplating adding an older Ferrari to remind me of my fathers prior cars. I’ve always loved for some reason the 365 GTC/4 for a number of reasons. That got me thinking.

When does a car become vintage ? If a 512 BBi? 365BB?

My gateway temptation is a 308gt4 for a compete restoration. Then when I run the numbers the restoration is not orders of magnitude less. And many of the 12 cylinder Ferraris are perhaps more well kept.

Back to the question. What do you think?

In Ferrari terms Enzo era is vintage? Early 70s ? When does it change? Ever ?

Happy Sunday.

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    According to an article I read in Sports Car Market, in the collector car world, "vintage" means pre-war, i.e. prior to WW II. Cars post-war are referred to as "classic".

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

For me it starts with the f40 which is the last Enzo saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Most states will give vintage license plates to 25+ year old cars.

mwr4440, killer58 and paulchua like this.
  5. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    #5 ScottS, Jul 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    So when does that change? Prewar, classic 50-60s muscle etc.

As I see new car prices for not LE coming up above 500k it asks the question like another thread- time to sell and get a grail car like a Daytona? Completely different purpose but Enzo era has its cache.

Usability vs timelessness trade off.

As I said to a friend at a recent C&C, some cars say you have wealth/money, and some say you have taste.

Another wrinkle

In some states the magic number for cars to reach classic designation is 25 years. Some states, though, allow cars to be classified as antique or classic in just 20 years, while others require it to be older. In Florida, for example, vehicles must be at least 30 years old to qualify for antique or historic designation.

It seems we gave a variety of nonstandard nomenclature.

6. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I don't know what you mean by "when does that change?" It doesn't change. Vintage = pre-war = up to 1945. Classic = post-war = 1945 and later. It's that simple. Don't blame me, blame the collector hobby. They're the ones who defined the terms.

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the definition of vintage changes depending on who you ask.

if you follow some of the articles in SCM, vintage now means 25 years or older.
    will it always mean that?
    maybe.

personally, i think right now, a vintage car is any car that does not need a computer to function.....which more/less matches 25 years ago....

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I chafe at the word "vintage" just on the technicality that the word really means "of a specific date". A Roma is of 2021 vintage.

As for "classic" I get bothered by that too because it just means "recognized as special." A Roma may be a classic. Time will tell.

The last one, "antique" means something. It means "old". The threshold vintage when classic cars are considered antique, is either subjective or legally defined. For me, antique cars are ones used by the prior generation. My daughter's boyfriend just bought an antique (1987) Fiero. Its much older than him.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    "Vintage" is in the dictionary as "old" or "classic" (Merriam Webster). I tend to agree that prewar cars are "vintage", because car design, use and manufacture changed to the point where the prewar stuff is practically unusable now.

"Classic" is subjective, based on our age, but it also connotes something of lasting importance or merit. A Dino 246 was the start of a significant lineage of Ferraris; A 1965 Porsche 911 is as recognized today as it was during the LBJ years. Those are easily called classic. A 1968 Mustang... definitely.

A Pontiac Fiero or Plymouth Laser is just an old car, although I remember thinking the Fiero was exciting back in 1984 -- when I was driving an X1/9 and imagining it was a 308 Quattrovalvole...

BigTex likes this.
  10. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    The idea of vintage is correct- of an era or time. In 50 years will pre-EV be ICE or vintage. What’s older than antique.

I guess in our world Enzo era, LDM era etc. post pininfarina etc.

So is it age or era that defines those terms. Seems to be both.

Classic Ferrari=?

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would say it DOES change, and for me, it's carbs......

Injection in '80-'81 kind of dampened things down until engine management caught up, leading to ross' post above..
    Just my thoughts...

Before Ferrari I ran Pontiacs, from 1967 thru 1994....that was a lot of eras!!

ScottS and jm2 like this.
  12. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    30 years.

When a car changes generations, it becomes "classic" or "vintage" or whatever designation you want. A 20 year old car is just old. But when you change generations, so that the people born when the car was made are no longer in their 20s, you're talking about something that will conjure up intense nostalgia.

Right now 80s nostalgia is waning in favor of 90s nostalgia because the 90s are now 30 years past. When I was a kid in the 80s, the 50s nostalgia was incredible. 50s cars, 50s music, it was everywhere. Guess what happened in the 90s? Suddenly 60s hippie culture was everywhere. From Nirvana to Alanis Morrissette.

ScottS likes this.
  13. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    In speaking of Ferraris I believe chrome bumpers are the line.

ScottS likes this.
  14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, and you could argue the same for pre-safety bumpers on MG, Porsche, Mercedes, etc. 1974-1975 was a big change in the U.S.

If you take the technology/feature view, I'd say the analog versus digital divide separates future classics from future recyclables. To take an example that won't step on too many toes here, a simple car like a 1989 Mercedes 560 SL is emerging as a classic, while the later SLs seem dated (and getting cheap) due to all the circa 2000 technology. There's not much in a 560 SL to become obsolete, because ... there's just not much in a 560 SL. Ditto a 930 Turbo. I think I could maintain those forever without going bankrupt or hitting the unobtainium wall.

I wrote a few years back that 328 prices would eclipse the 360, not out of '80s nostalgia (definitely affects me...) but because the 328 is low tech enough and an admired design that could be a forever car for the right owner. Slow, but simple and iconic. I see evidence this has happened.

15. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I think just liking a particular car without owning one can mean that you have taste. But I don't think that owning any car automatically means you have wealth/money, in fact many of the wealthy people I personally know drive cars that are barely road worthy.

16. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Rephrasing.

Some cars are meant as signals that one has money and or wealth and others for their selection show taste.

Also in a way loving what you have shows it’s value.

Your version works as well.

Chrome. I like that for Ferraris. Thank you.

paulchua likes this.