Should I bring the 458 | FerrariChat

Should I bring the 458

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by DoubleD33, Mar 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    It is looking like I will be leaving SoCal this summer for a two year or so stent in Oahu.

I don’t want the 458 to sit While I am gone thus I am thinking about bringing it with me.

The other option I have is taking it to my parents house for the duration of my stent on the island.

Let’s keep the cost of shipping out of this conversation as that is not a deciding factor.

I currently only drive On a weekend every few months here in SoCal. I do about 1500 miles a year.

Are there cars and coffee events?

Is it fun to drive on the island or is it nerve racking to the point of scraping the front end and hitting pot holes all the time.

Does the 458 hold up well to the salt water atmosphere or is rust inevitable?

is it easy to get off pavement and find myself on a dirt or gravel road?

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I think your car will be fine here. There is a group of exotics that have early morning runs on Sundays, that you may find enjoyable. Cars and Coffee is around, but I am not sure where it is held these days. I have not attended one as it became more commercialized. Back in 2006, I started it with the BMW guys as just a get together for car guys. Over the years it grew from word of mouth and the torch was handed off to other friends.

What you will find frustrating, is our drivers are not very good, and they do not signal. If it starts raining, all bets are off as Hawaii drivers are not good in the rain. We do have a bunch of potholes because of the type of macadam we use and we have a lot of rain. You will not find yourself offroad, unless that is what you are trying to do.

Salt air is not bad. You just have to learn to take care of your car. I have a 77 930 turbo, and it lived here all these years. No rust at all. My house is a block from the beach. Are you planning to live in a condo or a house?

andyrichter and DoubleD33 like this.
  3. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    As of now we are undecided on a house or condo. I will know more in the upcoming weeks. We may end up buying a house and that is another story and decision all in its own.

4. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    Can you give some advice on rust prevention? My previous car underbody rusted in short time. I know a few ppl with ac in their garages. Do you think this is necessary?

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah, the Windward side salty wind and rain dissolves cars.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Solid State and High Sierra like this.
  6. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I don't have ac in my garage. I think it is just a matter of where you live, as Ryan said. I live in east Honolulu, and while I am just off the beach, I don't have the rain that the windward side has.

7. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    I’m on the east also, but still see friends with ac in the garage. Makes me worry since these cars are becoming forever cars with epa rules.

8. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    458 should be fine. Aluminum body. I’ve got a 360 and other than the occasional grounding issues, I don’t worry about it. Bring the car! Enjoy it! That’s why you bought it, I assume.

DoubleD33 likes this.
  9. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Bring your car. FCA Hawaii Chapter has driving events around Oahu.

DoubleD33 and Bob in Makiki like this.
  10. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    you all are brave. I'm too worried it will get vandalized if I walk away for 1 second. Crazy what all crime is going on the last few days in town.

11. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    My vote is to bring it. Plenty 458’s on island.

DoubleD33 likes this.
  12. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Dan are you an FCA member here in LA? If so you are already connected to the Hawaii Chapter.

13. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Two years! You will surely miss your car. Besides, it's not good for a car to sit for that long of a time. Research storage facilities, take it, and enjoy it! Life is short!

DoubleD33 likes this.
  14. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I am not... I need to sign up.

15. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005