Shifter knocking? | FerrariChat

Shifter knocking?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Saabguy, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Hello all,

So something that I've been meaning to ask about. If I lightly put my fingers on the shifter it feels like something is banging against it. I don't have to be moving and it doesn't seem to get better or worse. I can think of no reason for this so I seek your august advice. What is making it do that?

Thanks,
    Lester

2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    On my old GT4 I found that the exhaust header shroud was resting on the shift shaft. Probably from several things adding up, but mostly probably tired motor mounts. Hard to tell if this might be a cause based on your description. Normally they pass each other without very much clearance.

3. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    A good place for me to start. Thanks!

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I would check the motor mounts.

Thank you

5. newto308

newto308 Karting

Mar 20, 2007
    McLean, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's a tough one. I've had my transmission apart and I cant imagine anything that would "knock." I like the idea of checking the shift shaft for contact. I just looked at mine (the tunnel console is currently out) and the only thing it could be inside the car is the seat belt anchor.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Saabguy likes this.
  6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Before I replaced my motor mounts my shifter was moving around a lot, once I did the replacement of all four, the shifter did not move at all, Im not sure if this helps, but it might be wise to check them non the less.

Thank you

Saabguy likes this.
  7. Flav3xx

Flav3xx Rookie

Sep 12, 2020
    Switzerland
    My shifter seems to have a similar issue: at high rpm (>5,000), there is a sometimes a vibration (high pitch noise) between shifter and metal gate.
    I have the impression that the shift shaft is excited by something in engine compartment. Could it be the motor mounts in need of a replacement?
    Do you experience the same, or is it just when you touch the shifter that you can feel it?

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  8. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Mine is just when I touch the shifter, Looks like new engine mounts are in the near future. Thanks all!