Shifter housing | FerrariChat

Shifter housing

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by JLF, Apr 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Hey guys I was considering removing my shifter housing today because I have a nasty rattle that appears at high rpms. So I jacked car up and to my surprise the underside of the car is just one big flat metal plate with no access panels. Do you have to remove the shifter from inside the car? Was looking a a 348 thread about it but apparently they have some tunnel that you can remove to get to it.
    Am I opening a giant can of worms?

89 t coupe

Jerry

paulchua likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi JLF, you do need to remove the bolts from inside the car. I had the whole shifter replaced recently. My old shifter snapped in two you can see the bolts in that thread. You still need to take out the shift cables out though from the bottom. All in all, not hard, just a little time consuming and impossible without access to the bottom.

Let me know if you have any questions - happy to provide more info.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    btw, I bought a used shift housing for $500 (you can read about it on the other thread) - I took out my old one with the snapped shifter - but everything else on it was okay (no rattles), If you ever need spare parts or if you need a new housing, happy to sell for $200.

Cheers

4. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Ok thanks P. So I guess I have to remove the panel around the gearshift? Is that difficult?
    And you say take the shift cables out the bottom? Where? There is no way to get underneath the gear shift housing, at least on my car. Or can you disconnect them from inside?

paulchua likes this.
  5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Ok I just read through your gearshift post, that didn’t pop up in my search but I remember commenting on it.
    Thanks man

paulchua likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Jerry happy to help let me take some photos tonight.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  8. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Nah don’t worry about it I’m going to start on it tonight, I’ll figure it out. Thanks for all the info!

paulchua likes this.
  9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Hey Paul, I got it all apart. That center panel with all the switches is scary! Am I correct in assuming that I will have to unhook the shift cables towards the rear and the pull them out through the center console along with the shift housing?

paulchua likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Jerry,

Great to hear the progress! You are correct, you then unhook them from the bottom and once detached, the whole shift housing can now be lifted out from the top. There is a small screw that secures the plate between the shift cables, so that the shift cables can slide out. There is a second bolt securing the shift cables half way down the undercarriage that can also be removed to allow more flexibility for the shift cables to slide through the housing.

Here is a photo that helps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Oh and one more thing, when work inside, there is a spring loaded inside the two metal holders. Be very careful here because there is tension on the spring.

12. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Man this is not fun without a lift! I got the cables unhooked from the rear
    And I unscrewed that part number 50, a plate that the cables go through. Don’t know if I needed to do that.
    So just to clarify, do I lift up the the shifter housing and then unhook the cables from the housing? Or do I pull the cables all the way out with the housing attached?

paulchua likes this.
  13. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Ok I remember seeing that in the 348 thread. Your talking about inside the shift housing itself correct?

paulchua likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I don't remember actually, I think you unhook the cables first - but not positive.

:( When I get home, let me take a look again.

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    That's correct - inside the housing - so when you take apart the actual actuator, it's in there.

16. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I’m just worried that if I take the cables all the way out I’ll never get them back through the tunnel again.

Thanks for your help P.

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #17 paulchua, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Ah I remember now, so what I did was unhook it from the bottom, the linkage is exposed, it's hard to get to it like you said without a lift. Once it's unhooked, the housing comes right out from the top.

18. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Well I think I’m defeated. I’m so bummed. I am so close to getting it out but there is no way to slide it out or tilt it over enough to unhook the cables. The only way I see to do this is to remove the entire center console and I don’t see anywhere where that thing is even fastened down.

You can see in the pics that the bracket behind the housing and above the shift cables prevents me from pulling it up and out and I can’t slide any more foreword because of the forward console. Why didn’t they build it like the 348 where you can access it all from the bottom?

Any ideas? Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Jim, just took some photos, give me 10 min to post with annotations.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Jim, yes will need to have access to a lift or jacks to get to the bottom (be super careful of course! don't want a car squashing you!)

In the photo below you'll see the attachment points of the red shift cables to the bottom of the shifter housing. Once you unhook those from the bottom, only then can you lift the housing up from the center console. The yellow #1, #2, #3 are the bolts that attach the housing to the car. The red circles are where the cables attach from the bottom of the car.

If you don't have a lift or jack at home, do you have one of those do it yourself lift shops? I go to one whenever I need access to the bottom of the car.

(picture 2 and 3 from a 348, but give you an idea of the cable attach points)

Hope this helps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Paul, you understood that there is no panel on the bottom of the car to remove that allows access to the shifter?

Jerry

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Jerry,
    My apologies - I was looking at the 348 here:

Start at 2:20

Let me call my mechanic and find out exactly what the procedure is. I'll let you know what he says tomorrow.

Cheers

23. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Hey thanks a lot Paul!

I was going to call the local Ferrari shop here as tomorrow as well.

paulchua likes this.
  24. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    According to my guy the entire center co sole has to come out.
    Guess I’ll try and get that out tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi JLF,

My apologies on the bad info I gave you about the bottom access. I talked to my mechanic this morning and he said he was able to get it from the top as well. I don't know if the cab vs the coupe has easier access. I hope it didn't waste too much of your time.