News

Selling car privately on ebay?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Gran Drewismo, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I searched but I couldn't find a similar thread....if one exists please merge with that.

Who here has sold a car privately on ebay? I have an older 7-series that I'd like to sell online in the hopes of eking out a couple extra grand versus selling it to some guy locally.

Any tips or suggestions? Is ebay still an okay place to sell?

2. David_S

David_S F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    At the lower end of the market, ebay really doesn't broaden your audience too much when the potential buyer has to figure in $600 to $1200 shipping on a $2k car - unless you set a reserve price low enough to compensate for that.

Otherwise? I sold a Porsche 928 S4 years back via ebay. Listed it starting at 99 cents, with no reserve & buyer responsible for pickup. Did pretty well on that one.

I think ebay does a flat $50 listing/selling fee for cars these days, or at least that's the deal I got in my email not too terribly long ago.

I sold my other 928 (an '83 euro S) using craigslist locally & had cash in hand & car gone in about 2 days.

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for the reply, I think I might as well just go the local route.

I submitted the car last month to Bring-a-Trailer and it was rejected with no real reason given. Now I see there's a car similar to mine (year and color) but with less options, 20k more miles, has been in three-four accidents along with having a Branded Title. I've sent another inquiry about getting my car listed, but it's already been a pretty frustrating experience with them.

4. energy88

energy88 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Fredericksburg, VA & Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    I think part of the problem with BAT is they want you to set a low reserve.

There are a number of threads on here about BAT. Here is one from last fall:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-miserable-experience-with-bring-a-trailer.532006/