Seeking 308 Owner in Michigan | FerrariChat

Seeking 308 Owner in Michigan

Discussion in '308/328' started by TheOldPilot, Oct 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheOldPilot

TheOldPilot Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Georg Schuttler
    Hello All,

With the onset of maturity, I have come to realize that I am more interested in vehicles with character, perhaps a story, and which were meant to be driven. Ever less impressed by trying to cram more gadgets into new cars, the cars of my youth have begun to be all I'm interested in.

With this, I'm heavily considering purchasing a 308. This will be my first Ferrari. Like many of you, this choice originally stems from watching Magnum PI as a young boy. Now it is from a more practical sense - a driver's car with stunning lines and style (the later-80s-90s mid-engine v8 Ferraris never caught my eye, and I think a 360 will simply be too impractical for me).

But, I have no in-person experience with them. I wanted to reach out and see if there are any owners in the Michigan area who'd be willing to spend an hour or so sharing their car with me - ownership experience, need-to-knows, and go for a ride if possible. Happy to buy breakfast, coffee, drinks, whatever.

If you'd be willing to help, please reach out. Thanks!

miketuason likes this.
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Welcome George! You came to the right place with your quest, I’m pretty certain that someone here will chime in and able to grant your request, I definitely will if you’re in my area. First, you should study the different model of 308 And read about the owners experience with the car and decide which one will scratch your itch.

3. TheOldPilot

TheOldPilot Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Georg Schuttler
    Thanks Mike! I'm already pretty set on a 1980/81 or newer GTS (i or QV, depending on year). As I mentioned, I'm looking for something to drive more than to collect, so the premium on the earlier fiberglass models wouldn't make sense. I would like the updated model with fuel injection though. After that it really just comes down to condition and vehicle/maintenance history.

4. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I am in Elgin, IL and have an 89 328 GTS that I would be happy to show you. I know it’s a little far and a little different model but the offer is open.

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    1980/81 are a good year as they are now selling for less compare to the carbs and QVs

6. TheOldPilot

TheOldPilot Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Georg Schuttler
    That is certainly a plus. I like the body-colored louvers, the lack of the additional louver across the front hood, and not a huge fan of the roof spoiler on later models either. But these are certainly just details and would never kill a deal on an otherwise great car.

7. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It sounds like you like the 80-82 cars. The main item of concern for these cars is the sodium valves. Good luck in your search. Make sure and get a PPI.

8. ModenaInv

ModenaInv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2014
    South West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Where are you in Michigan?

9. TheOldPilot

TheOldPilot Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Georg Schuttler
  10. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
  11. tables2012

tables2012 Rookie

Aug 8, 2012
    Ypsilanti, Mich
    Full Name:
    John Ottino
    I am in the a2 area if that helps. I have a 308GTB for 36 years so I have a little knowledge. E-mail me at [email protected]