Second most reliable car line is..... | FerrariChat

Second most reliable car line is.....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by UroTrash, Jun 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    According to today's WSJ, a new JD Powers study shows Lexus to be the most reliable car line (no surprise) followed by..........BUICK!

Where'd that come from!?!

Maybe my old Auntie was right after all.

Top ranked:

Lexus
    Buick
    Infiniti
    Lincoln
    Cadillac
    Honda
    Acura
    Toyota
    Murcury
    Porsche

Other points of interest:

Toyota is #8!?!

Lincoln and Cadillac beat Honda!?!

Porsche is in the top 10.

Where's Mercedes and BMW?

2. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Lexus... reliable!!!
    That reverse engineered plastic junk is reliable?! This must be some kind of twisted joke.

3. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Don't forget: the JD Powers survey of "reliability" includes complaints of such niggling details as rattling glove boxes, broken cup holders, poor FM reception, or any other BS problem that has nothing to do with whether the car starts, runs as needed, then stops.

Remember the florida owner of a purple Lambo Diablo a few years back who made the news declaring his car a lemon after having such problems as stuck windows. What a putz!

4. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I take it you are a big Lexus fan.

5. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Thats funny, I have never heard anything bad about lexus before.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This JD Power stuff is total bs. I recently took my Porsche in to the dealership due to the infamous check engine light. Every thing went fine, but then I made the mistake of filling out the stupid survey card. My next mistake was to give the dealership all "9s." I have had five calls since then asking why I didn't give them a "10." I just got the last one about 15 minutes ago. Here's what I told the young lady:

"Okay, I give up. This is the fifth time that someone has called about that survey. Can you just give them all 10s and leave me alone?"

"I'm sorry sir, but I have to read all the questions to you."

"Well, then read them to yourself and give them 10s."

"Thank you for your time"

7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Porsche's doing better then? :)

8. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Here's another one, today also, this in Investor's Business Daily:

JD Powers survey of 48,000 3-year old vehicle

Toyota
    Honda
    Porsche
    GM
    BMW
    Nissan
    Ford
    Subaru
    DaimlerChrysler
    Mitsubishi

9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Honestly I am not suprised at all. I've driven thousands of buicks- I cant remember a single rattle! The only time ive seen them into service was for an oil change.
    Built like tanks I say, and behave like one too.
    Not that good looking but really comfortable. Easy on my back!

All they have to do is revamp the style. That will be comming soon...

10. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow, Porsche ranked in the top 10 is very surprising to me, Im not saying I think they are unrealiable, but they are sports cars and they are beating companies like VW and BMW and Mercedes Benz which mainly make family sedans

11. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Lexus is no surprise. Their motors are bulletproof. Porsche's with their problems ranked top 10? Lol surprises me. Lincoln and Caddy before honda? Lol that one is hard to believe.

I think the 3 year old survey is more indicative, and accurate.

Mercedez is not up there. Have you seen the problems with the S class?

As far as Bmw, well ever heard of their M3 motors blowing up?

12. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Lexus.. again.. whew. :D

13. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Intersting viewpoint. I've found them to be the most reliable thing I could own. Nothing else even comes close.

While I don't care for the cars, I have to agree with you that they appear to hold up well.

Doesn't shock me at all. I've had no problems with my Porsche. I've drive them hard and often and I've yet to be stranded in one.

Mercedes absence doesn't surprise me as the newer ones have been problemtatic. Same with BMW. Every BMW I've ever owned has had more than it's fair share of problems(precisely why there isn't one in the garage now).

I agree with LAfun2 that the three year survey is more accurate. Not much out there can touch Toyota for reliablity.

14. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yeah - but it was for 3 months back in 2001. Hasn't happened since. Plus they extended the warranty for 2 additional years as a result.

15. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    REASON FOR BUICK TO BE #2

1 their quality is improving...who knew?

2 average age of purchaser. Owners (age 75 and up) are more likely to die before they get the survey....

3 ____________________ (Create Your Own)

*** Lexus/Toyota make some of the best cars in the world just some of them lack a little SOUL. The Soul of many cars comes from the imperfections and over indulgences the extremes bring in.
    The reason they lack Soul is because they lack imperfections and are middle of the road. BUT they do it VERY WELL.

16. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    according to the consummer reports repair index, which is better indication of true reliabality over time for ecah fof the cars systems, thebmw 3 and 5 series are very highly rated...much more so than mb and porsche, both which have had numberous problems and recalls...i have 3 friends with bmws with over 200k miles with no problems and just as tight as the day they were new...my brothers 01 911 had numberous jproblems and some annoying rattles

17. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    YEA BUICK. I love my 95 Roadmaster, she is a beast.

18. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    Lexus is impressive, but I have to say that they don't have a single car that even remotely appeals to me. I'd rather have problems in a Benz than have trouble free driving in a Lexus. There's just absolutely nothing that distinguishes their designs, in my mind, from the regular Toyotas. And the convertible... egads that thing is horrible... As long as Europeans focus on having some sort of interesting appearance (even Bangle's latest abysmal designs are at least interesting when compared to the utterly featureless Lexus designs), then there will be people willing to overlook their quirks. A car is at least a partially emotional purchase for many, after all.

19. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I agree the Toyotas are bulletproof. However, personally I prefer Hondas. Reason being, if you compare the accord with the camry or the civic with the corolla, the honda has a touch bit more sportiness. Not much, but a bit more, and to me thus I prefer the Hondas. Nonetheless, you can't go wrong with either car. :)

My Cooper is the first European car I ever owned. THough I haven't had any problems with mine, there have been many people who have had problems. Similarly with the M3 (which is on of my favorite cars of all time), my point is the problems shouldn't happen. I never heard of NSX motors or S2K motors blowing up. When I drop 55-60K on a car, I want it to start everyday, and not give me problems. Maybe thats just me. I would take an M3 over an S2k or other cars anyday, but I expect them to be bulletproof and not have nagging problems every day of the week. :)

Matt you are absolutely correct, all Lexus cars look the same and like toyotas but the Benzes and other European cars are all distinct. ;) Ever notice the similarity between the C class and the S class? ;) :eek:

And you are right the LS430, the IS300, and the SC430 all look the same ;)

I do agree that the sc is ugly, and I personally would not buy it. I would take an E55amg over all these cars, however I don't think Lexus lacks design characters.

20. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Believe it. Atleast for the Caddy. My dads new SRX has been flawless. However coustomer service is somthing else. My dad made a comment about how he thought he heard the big ass sunroof squeaking from the body shifting, and Caddy actually had an engineer from GM call my dad and explain to him that it wasnt.
    Oh and it turns out the engineer was right afterall.
    Caddy takes care of you. I am impressed. Lookout eurocars.

21. TcpSec

TcpSec Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2004
    LA, USA
    Full Name:
    Zeno S Paradox
    This is an amazing statement! Kinda sums up the kind of country we are becoming. Image is everything, right!?

The main problem that I have with your statement is its message that quality and value are not that important. To me they, are and when I am driving on the lonely Hwy 168 (where phones don't work and you won't see a soul for 150 miles) to Mammoth , Lexus will be my first and "only" choice.

Check out the upcoming S series and tell me with a straight face that they have not tweaked the headlights and grill to look like those from LS. Apparently mercedes thinks more of Lexus than you do.

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/41404.jpg

22. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Second that!

I'll take build quality and reliabilty in a daily driver over "feel" anyday. I used to be an S-class addict but when they quit producing the W140 I felt they took a HUGE step backward in quality and substance. The newer S-classes just don't do it for me. I know I'm not alone as I know lots of long time S-class people who have made the switch to the LS430. There is no doubt that Mercedes knows it's losing customers to Lexus and I'm hoping they can turn the S-class around at some point. Any question that Mercedes doesn't feel their current S is up to par can be answered by the fact that when designing the Maybach they went back to the W140 for inspiration.

23. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Maybe the editor is a fan of Tiger Woods?