355 - Searching for a 355, DIY question | FerrariChat

355 Searching for a 355, DIY question

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarista98, Oct 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Hi everyone, now actively in the search for a 355 6-speed. Open to Berlinetta or GTS variants. I like working on my cars. Current project is a Porsche 964 targa and I've been tearing into it with the eventual goal of splitting the case and re-doing the G50 box myself. I know that F-cars are a different beast. I like the 355 for the styling, engine note, and availability of a manual box. How is it to service for a DIY mechanic? Easy, hard, or somewhere in-between? I'm referring to everything from an oil change to the belt service. If it's on the hard side, any recs for cars that might be better suited to a home mechanic? This will also be my first F-car so excited to be an owner and want to make the the right choice for me for my first one.

2. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    You can do anything yourself on a manual 355. Anything.

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    It’s the same as any other car, except the engine drop every 5 to 7 years. I don’t do the belts, but everything else is very much DYI.

4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Also on the F1. The computer isn’t really doing anything you can’t do manually.

5. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    As an air cooled Porsche guy as well (993), I would say that the F355 is similar. That said, I find working on the F355 very physical even with a 2 post lift. Lots of climbing around the engine bay and contorting myself to get access. General maintenance is pretty easy. Oil changes are much quicker than they are on the 993. If you can handle a 964, you can handle a F355.

6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I’ve had a 930T and hated working in the 911 engine bay. The Ferraris are much easier in my opinion.

7. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    You have to have the SD1 and the knowledge to use it (it's not plug and play) to service the F1. I wish it wasn't true, but I just went down that road. Which for me meant towing to Atlanta and back, though that's still a bit of DIY.

8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Not true. My mechanic serviced the entire F1 system without a computer during the last major. I watched.

WATSON likes this.
  9. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Well, they should advertise. I would have loved to know what I could have done. I took mine to Wade Williams and would not do it differently. A man's gotta know his limitations.

Skippr1999 and Qavion like this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Like any different model vehicle, you have to know what to look for and what you're looking at. As a former aircraft technician, when working on a particular aircraft, I knew to look behind a particular item for broken rivets. If you overlook something on a major service and it breaks, you may have to pull the engine out again. You can build up your experience on smaller services, but everyone has their limitations. I did a lot more work on my older generation Lotus (brakes, steering, etc), but I wouldn't tackle the same things on my F355 because of the additional complexity and the requirement for Ferrari SD tools on some systems.

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I guess it depends on what models you are talking about. My experience with 308 and 355 is that while not hard to work on, they are not designed with even basic servicing in mind. Everything is a giant pain in the butt. With my 07 and 14 Porsches it seems that things are pretty well thought out.

12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    It’s a bit like bleeding breaks. Same nipples, etc. The computer just cycles the pump, which turning on the ignition will also do. Like when you first get in the car and the F1 light is flashing and the pump is running to build up pressure. I’ve not done it myself, just watched it being done. I’ve also watched it being done with the computer and understand what’s being done. It a very basic hydraulic based system similar to brakes.

If you search here, it’s been discussed.

13. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Great info, thanks everyone for your replies and experience. My conclusion is that DIY maintenance on a 355 is doable with patience, time and a willingness to learn (sometimes the hard way). For those that have done the belt service and ensuing engine drop themselves, is that something to build up and learn how to do or better left to the professionals?

Qavion likes this.
  14. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.

no they're not.

sjd

J. Salmon likes this.
  15. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Most service operations on 355 can be done with a lift in a garage and without a SD1/2. Although having the correct tools will make the work easier.

You will however need SD1/2 for some operations: recalibrate shock motors, ABS, F1, etc.

16. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    It's just a car.
    Parts can get expensive...but you know that.
    Ferrparts is a great used option.
    Ricambi is your go-to guy for new.

To be clear, every 355 has the same gearbox. Manual or F1, each has the same 6 speed box.
    How the input shaft and clutch are activated is the difference.

I do all my own work and have an F1 car that did not shift when I bought it. That was 10 years and 25,000 miles ago.
    Having access to an SD computer would be ideal but not necessary.
    Any local independent shop that might be a safety net for you?

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    +1

There was a gentleman living on an island in the English Channel and a long way from a safety net. He sold his F355 after a few months.

And some ABS, suspension and HVAC problems can be diagnosed much faster with a Ferrari SD tool. You save both time and money (by not buying bits you didn't need). e.g. If you have a suspension light, you can go straight to the faulty actuator rather than pulling the car to pieces and checking them all. Sometimes you just need a local guy with an SD tool to reset an airbag light.

Anyway, the FerrariChat forum is an excellent source of information. There's always someone willing to answer your questions. Some folks recommend the forum search function, but the results often give you outdated or incorrect information. You really have to know which search words to use. Anyway, the oldtimers can usually point you in the right direction.

18. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    Guys, what do you think should be done in a car that in 2016 had a very large service at Ferrari with a motor takeoff and belts, but it was 600 kilometers ago ?

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    if it has no other problems, drive it.

20. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    Thank you for your response. There are no problems in the car. I would like to do a manifold's inspection and modify the muffler.
    So when should I do a belts inspection?
    Car has now exactly 10.600 kilometers

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    5 years is the recommended now (between belt changes).

How old are the tyres?

22. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    tyres are like new from 2012.....
    So should I do belts before next season or after?

23. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Tires from 2012 are not new, regardless of the tread wear. I never drive on performance tires older than 6 years old.

Qavion and Ferrarium like this.
  24. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    sure will change them its easiest part.

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I would change the tyres before worrying about the belts. Tyres may look good, but they have probably lost a lot of their grip at 8 years.

Lots of message threads on the forums about tires/tires + years.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/tyres-change.393898/#post-142012684

Some folks change them at 5 years. Manufacturers say 10 years absolute maximum, but that's not on a car like a Ferrari.

PhilB likes this.