Scud Actuator Centering | FerrariChat

Scud Actuator Centering

Discussion in '360/430' started by akagan, Jul 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. akagan

akagan Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Avi Kagan
    Does anyone have the information from the WSM on centering the F1 actuator using the service tool? It appears to be different to the standard 430 actuator dimensionally, and the copy of the Scuderia WSM I have helpfully lists that section as 'In Preparation'.

Thanks for any help.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I checked my WSM .same .. hopefully someone has a "better" version

Funny how the 15 dollar CD of the 430 has the pages but the 300 version of the scuderia wsm doesn't

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

so the alignment tool is good to use., Just the data is different?

4. akagan

akagan Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Avi Kagan
    Well that’s my hope after buying the tool! The regular WSM quotes something in the ~14.85mm range for the measured thickness but I’m measuring out ~13.83mm with a couple different gauges. So I’m assuming/hoping that there is a different design/spec, but uses the same tool!

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Im giving you the data in a few hours, most 24 hours
    promise me to take pictures and put a write up on the alignment

6. akagan

akagan Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Avi Kagan
    Thanks! Much appreciated.

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

have u machined the tool's edge
    the tool unmachined is for 360 actuator only

8. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Just to be sure: there are two actuator centering operations:

1) Centering of the actuator fork within the actuator body which requires the special tool. This is only required when the actuator itself has been disassembled - it is not normally required to refit an actuator;
    2) Centering of the actuator for fitment to the gearbox. This is done by software.

9. akagan

akagan Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Avi Kagan
    Yes I’m specifically talking about centering within the actuator body. Using the Hill Engineering tool.

10. akagan

akagan Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Avi Kagan
  11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

yes. the tool is only good for 360 actuator if not machined the edge. The edge is kinda blocking its snug-ness when using on a 430 actuator. Its in the service manual as well. So you might want to machine it first. Unless the tool was machined already before shipping to u, which is not uncommon.

im still waiting for the data, its 9:29pm here so it has come tomororow my local time

12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

damn, the manual in dealer's computer doesn't have it either!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login [/QUOTE]

13. akagan

akagan Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Avi Kagan
    [/QUOTE]
    Hmm...that's not good! Thanks for taking the time to look that up though.

14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

why do u want to adjust it?

15. akagan

akagan Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Avi Kagan
    Well it's a somewhat long story, but I'll try to keep it brief.

Bought the car in September 2019. After first few longer drives I noticed that it would not go into reverse at the end of the drive. After a 5-10min cool down it would go into reverse. Later this progressed to not going into 1st or 2nd and being stuck on the side of the road multiple times. So my first step was to bleed the whole system including the actuator. This made a small difference, but did not get rid of the problem. Then I took it to the dealer and they went through the same bleeding steps and thought it was fixed after a few test drives. Drove the car home and at the first light after coming off the highway the car wouldn't go into 1st coming to a stop at the light. At that point I decided I would remove the whole system and send it to GTE to be rebuilt. Once it was rebuilt the dealer reinstalled the system and for about ~100miles I did not notice any issues. But after that the first problem to show up was that when doing a full throttle 7-8k RPM 2-3 shift it failed to go into gear and dropped into a weird state that eventually resolved itself by going into 4th or 5th after I had let off the throttle and pulled the paddles a few time. At this point I noticed the following:

1-2 Shifts: OK, no problems
    2-3 Shifts: Noticeably slow, and without a lift often failed to engage
    3-4 Shifts: OK, no problems
    4-5 Shifts: Noticeably slow, and without a lift often failed to engage
    5-6 Shifts: Ok, no problems

My first step after this was to drain the gearbox oil and check for any signs of serious gear and/or synchro failure. The oil looked ok and there was nothing more than the usual fine metal particles on the drain plug. The filter did have a good amount of RTV, probably from the actuator being removed and installed multiple times. At this point my next steps are to:

Bleed ediff - Complete
    Bleed F1 system - Complete
    Check actuator alignment(currently where I am stuck)

I didn't want to put everything together to check if the additional bleed had helped until I was able to check the alignment.

If the additional bleeding and alignment don't address the issue I have some additional theories, but need to collect some data. I plan on taking a second hand F1 harness and splicing into it to log the the position and pressure sensors directly at 1kHz to try to understand exactly what is happening. My working assumption is that EV3 and EV4 actuators are having some kind of flow rate issue as it appears to be having a hard time moving across the gate fast enough.

16. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

my recommendation is don't touch the actuator centering yet. unless somebody already messed with it in a previous life.

your symptom looks like a solenoid issue, or the actuator itself, or the TCU. in that order of probability.

I've seen the finger off a lot and still drives ok.

Is there any error code in the TCU?

17. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I second the notion that the mechanical centering should not be touched.

I'd start with a DEIS and the other procedures to set up the late model F1 like you have. There is much more to the CFC301 than just a bleed.