Roma spider | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Roma spider

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Gianfranco341, Sep 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I dunno. I've seen a couple of really nice Boxster Spyders at local PCA events that look really sharp. It's not a Ferrari, but NA H6 engine, manual transmission, etc. should be a fun car...T

2. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Me and Fast Cars Ltd.! Did you see my 599?? check out 599 spyder thread if you have not..
    Fast Cars in Redondo Beach does excellent work on many vintage italian sports and classic car restorations.
    They have won many awards at Pebble Beach Concours.

I worked with them in creating my 599 spider (Project17), and its been 3years. No issues with paint or worksmanship.

I am pretty confident we can make this Roma spider.
    We can shoot for Quail Show next year to reveal.

3. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    I do like the Boxster spyder. If I was in the market for a Porsche, it would be a hard choice for me between the Boxster spyder and GT4.

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Since Ferrari hasn’t shipped unit 1 it might be a stretch to target quail!

However, in your vision is it a soft top or just a monza style top less design??

SV

5. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Oh I wonder when we will have Romas here. But then the first time we took my 599 to Quail in 2017, the guys didn't really get on the car until January...

I imagine I can fit a modification of my current 599 soft top mechanism to this one. Probably with slight redesign, especially in the front header area.
    On my 599, a Ferrari California windshield was used, which allowed us to used all the interior trims at the top of the windshield, like the vanity lights, rear view mirror, sun visor, the landing area for the soft top latch, the rubber seal around the windshield...
    All of this makes the finish quality look factory. There are no generic rubber moldings, and exposed screws and the like, which makes it look cheap.

But in this case, I imagine the Portofino interior trims might just attach and fit without modification.. Of course we would have to confirm this..

Or,, we could just do a Barchetta monza style finish, not worrying about the soft top mech.. That would make the project a lot cheaper to do..
    Like for me in So Cal, I really didn't need a soft top..

of2worlds likes this.
  6. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    I was just teasing SVCalifornia...far be it for me for to suggest a Porsche on a Ferrari forum. That said, all of these renders definitely have a Boxster vibe. The rear haunches, decklid rear spoiler, and just the general shape of the Boxster.

7. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Dont worry. These are initial visualizations. If I do the 3D modeling and refine the surfaces to look good from any angle, it's not going to look like the Boxster.:cool:

SilverLeaf likes this.
  8. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I think if you remove the rear deck spoiler all the Boxster comparisons will disappear. Pls do your next render without the rear deck spoiler :) and maybe look into the 812 GTS type diffuser instead for downforce.

Gianfranco341 likes this.
  9. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    It's a little more than the decklid spoiler...it's also the haunches over the rear wheels, the aero humps behind the seats, the roundedness around the rear bumper area, the general proportions of the front and rear in relation to the positioning of the cockpit, and the rounded front fenders above the wheel wells. There's even a tiny echo of the design in the shape of the outer rear taillights.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to equate the essence of the two cars. Just pointing out the obvious similarities in many of the design elements. The Roma Spider is certainly more stylish.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

vcappp likes this.
  10. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita

Yes I know what you mean. I don't want to copy the boxster by any means. I think its the angular cut that the Roma has below the rear lights, that go all the way across the whole rear bumper, that make the whole rear look like its angled down like the boxster. I have always liked the look of a slightly moderate spoiler on Ferraris, like the 599 GTO, 288 GTO so I like to try and incorporate them into my designs. The spoiler shape and size, usually ends up different from any sketches or rendering I think, because when you look at the real thing next to you, it feels different. Thats why they do full size clay models usually.

So I am not sure how I would treat it acutally.
    Maybe an elegant solution is to keep the active spoiler element in the original trunk lid, and reshape and modify it to work on this redesigned rear.

The look and feel that I would want to realize is more in the 3/4 front views. So maybe my renderings from the rear don't convey it properly.

11. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    I gotta tell ya, these pics are great! I don't care for the coupe' as much but as a spider, like your rendering, I would buy one.

drkita likes this.
  12. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    drkita, you did a spectacular job on the renders!

The design you came up with works so beautifully on the Spider - to be honest, I don't think I would change anything, except maybe experimenting with the size of the decklid spoiler. The similarity of some of the design elements to the Boxster Spyder doesn't matter. The whole of the Roma Spider is distinctive and stylish, and the front 3/4 view is definitely unique to Ferrari.

drkita likes this.
  13. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    vcappp, ryalex, Patricia2020 and 6 others like this.
  14. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    That looks amazing and stunning

drkita likes this.
  15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  16. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Car needs some kind of rollover protection no??

1.0 looks more practical. A little racier.

Have you sketched a barchetta??

SV

17. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I liked the 1.0 more minus the rear deck spoiler. Such a long flat rear deck look a bit weird to me.

18. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Love the 2.0 and rollover protection can easily be provided with pop up roll bars, same as Cali t, Mercedes CLK etc.

456-boy likes this.
  19. Cali T HS

Cali T HS Rookie

Sep 12, 2020
    Zurich Switzerland
    This is how open sports cars ought to look like. Where can I order it......?

20. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Wow! I want a Roma Spider! It's beautiful.

456-boy likes this.
  21. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    If a Roma spider is in offing for next year, I am cancelling my PF-M build.

Jonathan19 likes this.
  22. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Ferrari won’t say a spyder is coming but it will be announced it is just when not if.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Jonathan19 likes this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The fact that a Roma Spider will be coming, is no big secret. Several dealers and reps have confirmed this to me and others. The Porto M is just a stop gap car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

vcappp, 456-boy and Jonathan19 like this.
  24. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Unveiled this year or 2022?

25. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Apart from the design, the Portofino M is actually kinda Roma spider: Roma engine, Roma gearbox… under a Portofino body.