Roma spider | FerrariChat

Roma spider

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Gianfranco341, Sep 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    Hi, I would like to know if there are any news on Roma Spider . The reason is I saw Ferrari Roma at a dealer and I’m in love with it for shape , design and superior interior design . On the other hand I just got a brand new 812SF and I’m very very happy with and I will never change it with a not so powerful engine . If a Roma spider is possible within next few years I should consider to buy it in place of my MB AMG GT Roadster

2. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I did not think they were going to make it in a spider version was my understanding. Hopefully I am wrong since I think it would look great as one.

456-boy and Gianfranco341 like this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Roma Spider? Uh, so where does that leave the Porto?

I think it is pretty safe to say that no such thing will materialize anytime soon. That is of course unless Ferrari really want to screw up things for themselves.

Buy an Aston Volante, same shape.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Agree. They don't want to duplicate Porsche IMO, in that there are 20+ variants of the 911.
    What I really wish they would do is offer the Roma with a sunroof/moonroof option.
    T

5. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I know from inside there will be a Roma spider . The reason why they made a face lifting to Portofino is because they were late with project . They have installed Roma power plant included gearbox on Portofino M and it is the first step . A review plan is to present Portofino M and SF90 spider within 2020 and Purosangue and Roma spider within 2021 . I don’t really like Aston Martin , no aerodynamic , no fun at high speed imho as I don’t really like Porsche 911 . I definitely prefer Ferrari and AMG GT . I’m in love with those . I will keep 812SF because I think it will be last not limited number coupe’ produced with NA 12 V . I will never put on his side a Roma coupe’ . I would like to have a spider . I hope it will be available within 1-2 years time

uhn2000 and Patricia2020 like this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Agree, sunroof/moonroof for Roma would be great.
    Excellent suggestion.

Marcel Massini

7. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Roma is built from the PF platform to have an alternate choice from convertible. So if you want a convertible you buy the PF. If you want a coup you buy the Roma. Highly doubt they will do Roma convertible.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Igor Ound likes this.
  8. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Hi guys. I made the 599 spider a few years back.

Anyways, I have been making some recent design renderings, and was also interested in a Roma spider, and I think I have come up with a good design proposal.

I gave it a very beautifully sculpted rear deck, integrated rear spoiler, wire mesh front grill inset with prancing horse emblem floating in front of the grill, slight accent to the side skirt. Slightly lowered.

The blue one is my recent one I made, I have been staring at it all day. I think I am in love!

Let me know if anyone is interested in making one.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

migg48, vcappp, Mickyd329 and 20 others like this.
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Beautiful @drkita!! I was just thinking of your beautiful 599 spider the other day. This is likewise very pretty...T

9nb, drkita and Patricia2020 like this.
  10. Patricia2020

Patricia2020 Rookie

May 28, 2019
    South Dakota
    Full Name:
    Pat
    I also fell in love with his 599 spider, and now this, simply Amazing.

456-boy and drkita like this.
  11. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Thanks! I want one!

12. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Thank you!
    I was thinking, what if we can cram a V12 into it, put a gated manual transmission??

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    @drkita - is your drop-top 599 manual or F1 transmission?

T

14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I think they should find an area between spider and coupe. I would do something like a all glass roof that can partially retract. This can keep the form of the coupe and have the air of a spider.

vcappp likes this.
  15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Kind of like a Porsche targa?
    T

perrinnation and crinoid like this.
  16. coolhandshin

coolhandshin Rookie

Nov 24, 2016
    My source also say there will be a Roma spider, estimated to be revealed at the end next year. He also says Portofino could be short lived and there might be no continuation of that model lineage.

I thought it was Roma for coupe and Protofino for convertible, but maybe it isn't...

Rather, a soft top for a change for Ferrari with Roma spider?!?

vcappp, drkita, perrinnation and 3 others like this.
  17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Did you make any progress on an F12 Barchetta?

Patricia2020 likes this.
  18. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    If Roma spider is coming then to my opinion it should be a true spider with soft top, or at least a retractable roof that does not give the car huge side pillars at the back of the seats (like the 812 GTS).

These pillars simply kill the lines, and the Roma is pure and smooth ; such pillars would just destroy the balanced lines.

Apart of the design, the Roma spider should have a top much different than the Portofino one. Without this difference then there will be simply no difference between the cars and their positions on the range and the market.

Victor

drkita, Patricia2020 and SAT4RE like this.
  19. Patricia2020

Patricia2020 Rookie

May 28, 2019
    South Dakota
    Full Name:
    Pat
    IMOP,
    It should look like the C7 Corvette convertible soft top, but as a hard top.

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Like this?

T

Patricia2020 likes this.
  21. Patricia2020

Patricia2020 Rookie

May 28, 2019
    South Dakota
    Full Name:
    Pat
    Yes.

drkita likes this.
  22. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    Yeah. That’s WAY more desirable than the Portofino.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9nb and drkita like this.
  23. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    That makes perfect sense.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    #24 SilverLeaf, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Incredible job on the renders, @drkita ! Any possibility of getting higher resolution versions that we can download? I'd love to have the rear quarter view as my desktop image.

Admittedly, I really don't understand Ferrari's positioning of the Portofino and Roma. The Portofino is still the company's best seller. If a Roma spider is coming out next year and that's what they're waiting on to replace the Portofino, why announce a Portofino M that won't ship before Q2 of next year? The only thing that makes sense to me is that both models will continue to live side by side until market demand dictates otherwise.

Ferrari is indicated to expect 40% of sales to come from GT cars by 2022 (up from 32% this year and 26% in Q2). Hard to think the Roma alone can get them there. It's too early to tell how much of a sales hit the Roma is going to be.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ferrari-new-car/ferrari-gives-gt-bestseller-a-makeover-with-new-portofino-m-idUSKBN26728O

Personally, as much as I find the Roma design to be striking, I prefer the Portofino M hands down.

Florida Joe and drkita like this.
  25. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Mine is a F1 transmission.