Road trip planning | FerrariChat

Road trip planning

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Manish C, Jul 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Manish C

Manish C Rookie

Jun 24, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Manish Chopra
    Hi everyone,
    Planning a ~ 1000 mile trip up from NYC to Maine and back circuitously in my ‘15 FF. Haven’t done one before. Wondering 1/ if I may get some suggestions on how best to prepare the car for an issue free journey. Car recently serviced in May and has had a error free history for the most part. And 2/ where to get it fitted for a good radar detector and thoughts on traps etc. Thanks a bunch. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    For route planning I use a discontinued mapping software that interfaces with Google maps called t.y.r.e. It allows you to set waypoints (as many as you want) to force the route onto interesting roads and then daisy chains them as subsequent destinations. You program the route on the laptop or desktop computer and then transfer the route to a Garmin or Tomtom GPS that has route planning as a feature. Then you just pick the route and follow the prompts. If you choose to do this I recommend zomming way in on each waypoint so that you are sure it is on the road you want (and on the correct side if the road is divided) so the GPS doesnt keep telling you to make a u turn to essentially 'pick up the flag' before proceeding to the next waypoint that was programmed.

As far as a radar detector, I found better success without them. Drive reasonably on the 4 lane roads (within 10 mph or so of the limit, or go with the flow of traffic), and have fun on the smaller backroads. You can also use Waze to be advised of some speed traps, or get a python detector that may be more effective in giving you advanced warning of police that may be using laser.
    https://www.pythondetectors.com/how-it-works

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Ur FF will be fine, if battery is old it’s about the only thing I would worry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manish C likes this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you just had it serviced you are good to go, if you want to be extra prepared bring along a halotron extinguisher and an extra flat fix,

Follow BT's advice on question 2,

Enjoy the trip!

Manish C likes this.
  5. Manish C

Manish C Rookie

Jun 24, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Manish Chopra
    Thank you!

6. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I have planned many road trips using www.motorcycleroads.com
    I look for the same kind of roads on the bike and the car.