Road & Track "P.S." Boxer Photo | FerrariChat

Road & Track "P.S." Boxer Photo

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by gsm348, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gsm348

gsm348 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hey Everyone,

I have been a level 10 lurker on this site for years and keep pretty quiet just enjoying the community.

There is a photo that has shown up in Road & Track a number of times over the years, I have looked high and low for a blown up print I could buy somewhere but have come up empty. The black and white photo was first published in the P.S. Section (last page - opposite inside front cover) and has a guy who appears to have spun his Boxer into a snowy ravine where the car has come to rest against a tree. Standing above the car on the side of the road looks to be the driver lighting up a cigarette with the caption saying ""Good tires," Bob mused, causually lighting up a cigarette, "but certaintly not great tires."" They republished the photo taken by Tony Robertson and it appears on page 88 of the January '07 issue that just came out.

I have looked all over the place trying to get my hands on a print of this photo. Is anyone familiar with this photo who knows where to purchase a print of it.

Thanks,

Greg

stsalam likes this.
  2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

we all know the photo...i don't know if there is a way to get a large print though. it is a cult classic among we boxer owners and each of us hopes we do not own "that" car!! lol

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I enlarged the original to 11" x 17"..........I'll see if I can find it....

It's been posted here.......anyone have it handy?

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #4 ArtS, Nov 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Robert Gross likes this.
  5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "Tony Robertson" photo credit, someone should track that down and get the scoop! LOL!

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    We'll probably find out it was one of our cars!

Pristine, low mileage, no accident history (as far as I know!)

7. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I get a laugh every time I see that pic. Made quite an impact when I first saw it as a kid in R&T, todays equivalent would be a guy having an Enzo in the ditch with the same scene.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Except the car would break in half at the engine like the other enzos we have seen wrecked :)

Robert Gross likes this.
  9. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    :) and on fire.

10. Argento

Argento Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Argentium
    I am on the case, I pretty sure the driver has been identified, I know where the picture was taken, and I'm close to the # of the car....I'll keep you informed?

Argento

11. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Did we ever find out what the s/n and what happened with this BB?

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Or a 288 GTO back then. Except he'd be lighting up a whole pack of smokes...

13. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    The 288 came out in 84 at the end of BB production they were the same price at around $85k, since the 288 was only a V8 he'd probably thrown his burning cigarette at the wrecked car and watch it explode, Enzo was still around then and as far as he was concerned real Ferraris have 12 cylinders only.

14. tonyrobertson

tonyrobertson Karting

Mar 2, 2013
    Hi
    I realize this is an old thread, but I just joined your forum to let you know I took the PS picture of the Boxer. I didn't know it was such a cult favourite among the tifosi.
    Still have the negs and contact sheets!

15. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Tony,

Welcome, glad to see you here. Any information or background on the photo would be much appreciated.

16. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

OK....this is just super cool!

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

17. tonyrobertson

tonyrobertson Karting

Mar 2, 2013
    Here's what I know.
    The photo was taken on Glenridge Ave in St Catharines, Ontario Canada.
    The owner, (the guy in the photo) was Henry Burgoyne and he'd only had it about a week.
    He bought the car from Performance Cars which at that time was on Lake St in St Catharines. At that time Henry's father was the owner of the local newspaper, the St Catharines Standard and I happened to be working for one of their other publications.
    So like a dutiful (and naive) employee, I took it to to the editor of the paper, thinking they would publish it. They didn't and about a week later returned the negs to me. At that point it was too late to submit it to another larger paper in nearby Toronto.
    So I decided to try my luck with Road & Track, and the rest is history. I had friends who worked at Performance Cars, the dealer where he bought it, and when it published in R&T a few months later, it was the biggest laugh in town. Serves them right for stiffing me originally.

samsaprunoff and f355spider like this.
  18. ferraripete

too funny shamile. it would not be a boxer thread w/o you making a funny comment :)

hope you are well buddy!

oh btw...clearly the driver is wearing "winter white" and i bet he may even have a gold chain hidden there...which would indicate he has a broken lambo in his garage as well :)

pcb

19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Tony-- welcome! Thank you for posting that story-- you certainly are responsible for a piece of Boxer history!

20. ferraripete

so great to have the rest of the story!!!!

21. ferraripete

now, if we could just figure out who owns that boxer today?

Melvok likes this.
  22. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Wow, I can't believe we found you! This is awesome! What a great great picture. I would love to buy a large print from you! Would you consider it? :)

23. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    This is amazing to me because as a few guys said, that picture was etched into my mind since I was a kid. So cool to hear from the photographer! WOW!!

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +1

This Internet thing really works.

25. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa