RM will auction Ponder Collection in April | FerrariChat

RM will auction Ponder Collection in April

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by enriquelanda5, Feb 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enriquelanda5

enriquelanda5 Rookie

Apr 27, 2006
    On its site RM announced that it is auctioning the Ponder Collection in Texas in April.

www.rmauctions.com

They only have one picture listed at the moment, but it shows four Ferraris that should be of interest.

Does anyone know what the collection has?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I see a 330GTS, a 250TR????, and a Dino.....

I met this hot babe from Marshall once, let me ponder on that a moment...

Wasn't this guy featured in Texas Driver?....maybe not, I would have marvelled at a real TR in deep East Texas........there's a lot of money there though between paper/lumber and chicken farms........

3. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    His TR is a replica (PF Coupe 1067GT). I believe he had 0279EU as well.

T308

4. redheadedstranger

BANNED

Nov 1, 2006
    Bugattos 57 and 59 among others. I knew this was coming. Took some time to get the logisitcs in place. This will be a don't miss event for sure.

5. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    The catalogue is $80. I was told it would be put on the internet shortly before the auction..

6. 1FAFP90

1FAFP90 Karting

Dec 13, 2006
  7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "I believe he had 0279EU as well."

To my knowledge, 0279EU was stored with that collection, but did not belong to Mr. Ponder. In any event, I purchased 0279EU early last year.

8. enriquelanda5

enriquelanda5 Rookie

Apr 27, 2006
    Could there be a 166 or 225 in the collection?

From the picture on the main RM page, it appears there is an early Ferrari on the right of the red Dino.

9. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    There is a full page ad in the latest issue of Cavallino listing some of the cars to be auctioned. There are two "recreations", the TR and one other early looking Ferrari (unsure of the model, either 166 or 212).

10. 356racing

356racing Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    The catalogue from the Phoenix auction listed 4 Ferrari's in the Ponder sale:

1959 Ferrari 250 GT Pontoon Fender Testa Rossa Recreation
    1965 Ferrari Barchetta Recreation
    1967 Ferrari 330 GTS Spyder
    1974 Ferrari 246 GTS Dino

11. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I've always wondered where that red and black Bugatti 57SC has been. Is it a Ghia-Aigle body?

12. dim

dim Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    This is Type 101, not 57.
    Quote from Jacob`s Bugatti page:
    The body on chassis 101504 was built in 1953 (or 54?) for René Bollore by Spanish born coach builder Jean Antem, of Courbevoie, France.

13. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I guess Ponder got the car from Jacques Hargindeguy (sp?)...

I also think it was in Harrah's before than, in it's origional green paint...

14. enriquelanda5

enriquelanda5 Rookie

Apr 27, 2006
  15. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Hi Richard!

The black and red Bugatti you mention is not a Type 57 although based on that model!
    It is one of the six original Type 101, built postwar in the nineteen fifties and after Ettore Bugatti had passed away! This one is Chassis #101504 and the bodywork is by Dutch firm "Antem"!

16. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Sorry, I did not notice that you had already answered to Richards question, before posting my answer.....sorry!

17. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Hi, :)

First of all, there is no Type 59 in the collection, only a handful were built, and all of them have very well known owners!!!
    The Type 57SC is fitted with some weird bad looking replica bodywork, compared to the original Corsica bodywork on "Le petit Sezanne" owned by John Mozart!
    The radiator shell and stoneguard on this "Bugatti/replica" car looks fake to me too!!!!
    I am not sure, but the red GP car kind of looks like one of the replicas being built in Argentina by company "Pur sang" and same goes for the Type 52!!!!
    There is a great chance that these two cars are fakes, but as I said before I am not sure!
    It is my belief that there are quite a couple of replicas in this collection!
    I only know of the Type 101 being authentic!

18. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    R.M. might need to pull up their socks. Their link has an Alfa down as a Bugatti!

19. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Look at this :http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?CarID=r147&SaleCode=GP07# and note the clearly wrong front shock absorbers! This car should (if a genuine Type 57SC) have the very complex and expensive De Ram shock absorbers, and not these Koni type vertical ones!
    Looks odd too, the way the lower radiator shell has been cut off!
    Also the car seems to lack the original cast aluminium front crossmember which is supposed to be visible just behind the front axle!!!!
    I really wonder if this could be a Molsheim built Bugatti, but I strongly doubt it!

20. richardowen

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks for the info on the 101! I am particularly interested in this one, something about the styling and the odd proportions.

Has anyone photographed this car? I remember seeing some goregous studio shots of it.

21. richardowen

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Nice observations! I've read in one of the Bugatti Books that Mozart's was a one-of, that would imply this is a replica. Look at the interior too, those oval pieces of Ostrich don't look right. John's car has crocodile interior, was this an original feature?

22. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Yes indeed, the croc-hide in John's car was and is still the original interior!

Kind regards

Carsten

23. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
  24. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    The Ponder car is (obviously) a replica, using some reall Bugatti parts. As to the real car, is it VERY dark blue, or black? I have never seen it in person...