RM auctions 410 Superamerica 0671 | FerrariChat

RM auctions 410 Superamerica 0671

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by bitzman, Dec 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    This tailfinned ferrari i once saw at a concours at BH car dealer, with Greg Garrison showing it. Were those tailfins on it when it was originally built or was this a retrofit custom by Ferrari? What about those polished alloy rocker panels? Were those on any other Ferrari? The stainless steel roof I have seen on '57 Caddys (broughams) but I didn't know Ferrari offered them, or was this too a retrofit. In other words, there seems to be a lot of Kustom Kar on this one but if it was all done in the original era by the authorized bodybuilders like Pininfarina and Scaglietti, I guess this is fully accepted. Or did it take a long time before the car was "accepted" and Garrison was simply more prescient?

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Why wasn't the farmer who had the stolen chassis
    in Oregon arrested for buying stolen property?
    I expect the answer will be that Garrison, wise in the way of lawyers,
    settled with the previous owner and/or the insurance company and
    made it possible to buy the chassis without the farmer being arrested. That was the real art in buying the car--followed by convincing Ferrari to help him get a new body made.

Here's the website about the car
    http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=AZ12&CarID=r155

3. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    There is more to the story. (And let it be said that I try not to disseminate info about particular cars unless I have personal knowledge, as there is too much disinformation out there.)

Stan Sokol, of the San Fernando Valley, advertised the car for sale in the L.A. Times, which was the method of choice at that time, and I went to look at it. It smoked way too much for me, or anyone, to want to buy it. Remember that in those days the cost of an engine overhaul, especially a Lampredi, was as much as the car was worth.

So after advertising it for several months without success, Stan reported the car stolen. It was years after that that we started getting rumors of the (more or less) bare chassis in Oregon.

The interesting thing which I want to bring to the table is that when I saw it the body was more or less similar to the "standard" 410SA body, except for the stainless top and rocker panels. Gary Wales has a picture or two, and I think I told this story in a letter to Cavallino some years ago, with one of Gary's photos.

Therefore, the present body is the third body on this chassis. By this post, I do not mean to denigrate the car or anyone connected with it. In fact, Greg (now in the great showroom in the sky) is to be complimented for undertaking such a monumental task so beautifully.

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    See my book "Making a Difference" for original photographs.

Marcel Massini

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Thanks for the incredibly fast answer containing unique info.
    But now I'd hafta ask

--do you think the rebody you saw was done in Italy and, if so, by Pininfarina or Scaglietti?
    If so wouldn't either party remember that?

--Is it possible it wasn't "stolen" but merely "reported stolen?" One wonders how the Oregon farmer sold it without a title? (of course in Calif. you can buy a car without a title on a bill of sale but that's void if someone comes up with a title later)

--Do you think the original body was sold for scrap metal? It's hard to believe such a unique and beautiful body would be tossed out or sold for scrap but then aluminum is worth more per pound than scrap iron or steel.

Would you agree that back in the late '60s and early '70s, Ferrari speciales such as the 330GTC with the Dino rear window and others went ignored on used car lots for a time while most people went for the stock looking car or the hot dog/boy racers (with you excepted of course because we know you owned many a race car) wanted a former racing car (preferably with the roundel still on the side left over from LeMans...) If you agree, I think Garrison was the point man on the speciales, but few followed him until decades later.

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The rebody was not done by Pininfarina or by Scaglietti. In fact, Pininfarina has nothing to do with this car at all. The rebody was done in October 1986 by Carrozzeria Sport Auto, Bachelli & Villa, in Bastiglia-Modena, Italy. See also Cavallino #107 of October 1998.

Marcel Massini

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    a few of the faithful were out there wandering in the wilderness. However 'Old Ferrari' was just that 'old' and not particularly appreciated back then. Most simply didn't notice them until values started climb. Then it was like the 'gold rush' with huge values justifying money spent on restoration and re-creation. The restoration 'talent' also got carried along on the wave of higher and higher prices with better skill and the ability to re-create almost anything for a price.
    0671 still looks 'hot'.
    CH

8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Ed probably didn't see the RM press release when he wrote the answer above so I'' reprint the relevant passage here,guessing that, when he described the more or less Tdf body that he saw the car wearing when it was for sale in Los Angeles, it was this body (as quoted in the current RM press release)

"In January 1958, s/n 0671 SA was purchased by Count Enrico R.P.A. di Portanuova, who had Carrozzeria Boano personalize the car for him by re-profiling the rear fenders, painting the fins dark red to match the body, extending the front fenders with covered headlights, changing the hood scoop, redesigning the instrument panel to place the speedometer and tachometer in front of the driver and re-boring the V-12 to a 5.1-liter displacement.

The 410 SA was sold again in 1961. It passed from Switzerland to Texas. In the 1970s it was sold to Gary Wales in California, followed by Stan Sokol. "

(from http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=AZ12&CarID=r155)

Alas I dont have the CAVALLINO issue that would make it clear with pictures but I am hoping that this is the body Ed saw because otherwise it means that there was yet another body, and the question of who did that one--it's hard to imagine it went to Italy again for bodying because there wern't that many craftsmen in America at that time who could roll aluminum that well (though there was Carrozzeria Sports Cars and also Fantuzzi).

But going back to who really owned the chassis, in America when a stolen Cobra popped up after some 19 years, the original owner , who had never settled with the insurance company, was able to claim it, so I am surprised Mr. Sokol never claimed it as his long lost car. I thought all the people who bought a stolen car after it was stolen have no rights to a car, because it is "the fruit of a stolen tree" (maybe that phrase is used in some other area of jurisprudence but I been itchin' to use it)

9. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    The Ferrari in the Lake is a story that haunt me...still missing a piece of the puzzle. So Grrison hears this car has been sighted in Grant's Pass OR and runs an ad, iand s contacted by a farmer who has the complete chassis and it is purchased. But was the car seen around town with the complete body? I don't see why the insurance company that had to pay out on the stolen car claim didn't ask for the return of the car and also ask the FBI to arrest the farmer for trafficking in stolen property...?

Did Garrison ever mention what he paid the farmer for it? And I looked at a map of Grant's Pass a(and the satellite view)nd couldn't find a lake, only the Rogue river, so maybe it was near Grant's Pass. As far as barrister Niles' comments about the body on it now not being the same styling as the car he once owned, I am inclined to believe Mr. Garrison liked to exaggerate his influence on a car, as once he told me a long story about his 412 cabriolet which he claimed was built especially to his own specs and then I found Ferrari had built it for their own tests and Garrison merely happened upon it and asked if he could buy it.