Replicas.... | FerrariChat

Replicas....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Farmer, Sep 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Farmer

Farmer Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Oliver Closoff
    So what is your take on replica F-cars? The highest form of flattery or just "fakes"? I have wanted a ferrari since I was a wee lad. My dream car has always been a 250 GT California Spyder. It is just a gorgeous car with every curve and line perfectly created. That being said I can appreciate and like most of the ferrari models although for me vintage just does it. I make and have enough money to buy a ferrari but never will have enough for my dream car. Life is too short so I am going to buy my first "f-car". I have 100K to spend so am looking at my options. I have finally found a company that I believe does the 250 GT SWB Cali Spyder justice, although the price tag is my budget. I would be able to place a modern engine under the bonnet, LS7 with 505 hp and 470 tq, making the car truly a fun ride and easily serviced compared to vintage car. So, has anyone else been in this position or have a strong opinion about what they would do? The only reason I ask is that while the replica would make me very happy, I would like to join in local F-car gatherings and not sure how it would be received.

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    The only replica I like is the Cobra cars. It is a common thing to see those as replicas.

For Ferraris, I'd much rather buy a lesser car that is the real thing than invest in a replica.
    For example, a 328 GTS has a removable top, is a wonderful car to own and drive, and you can buy a nice one for under $55k.

3. Farmer

Farmer Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Oliver Closoff
    328 GTS is a very nice and attractive car for a very reasonable price. However, I am 6'3" and it is not a comfortable car for me to ride in... The AC Cobra is a great car and replica but I am looking for a car that I can drive as a daily driver and without a top this is just the occasional fun car that takes up space in your garage. I am not looking for an investment car nor worried about losing value in my purchase. I plan to drive the hell out of whatever car I buy.

4. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I have seen some 250 Cali Spyder replicas that you could not tell from the real one, they looked that good....until you started the motor.

If it makes you happy go for it, I will be the first one to admit that I looked at 250 Cali Spyder kits and went to so far as to drive a few, I could have been happy with one and I know one person who is very happy with his and joins in Ferrari events, there are always some negative comments about it and always way more positive ones. In the end I decided a Ferrari is all about the motor and I could not live without the motor, so I got a car that shows the motor under glass.

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Buy a 430. You'll love it.

6. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Here's a "cali..."
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=140843475308
    Based on a 350z. To each their own, but to me these things are pretentious, like a guy who wears a cheap-ass fake Rolex, or Chinese copies of designer clothes.

7. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    I think it would be fun to build a replica but embarrassing to be seen in. I might make an exception for a Stratos replica though as most people don't have a clue what they were anyway.

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    When it comes to Ferrari's made in the last 40 years I personally think nothing makes a wannabee like a fiero kit car. Just make sure it has the gold wire rims and a sticker that says "ferrari" on everything, including the seat leather. ;)

That being said, when there are only like twenty cars of a Ferrari model EVER MADE... that usually prices a car in the millions. In this case I can understand a replica, hopefully very well done. I'd rather see a replica with a LS-1 engine let's say than a 330 engine from a donor car. That donor car should be restored for what it is... IMHO.

9. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    In my opinion, any replica that uses parts/motors from REAL Ferraris (like 250GTEs/330GTs/365GT2+2) is an absolute abomination. It's not like Ferrari made tens of thousands of these cars (in fact, usually less than 1000 of each), so it is truly a loss of Ferrari history when someone butchers a real Ferrari 2+2 to make a fake.

We have plenty of these fake/replica debates in the Vintage forum. There are now so many fakes that a separate sub-forum has been created in Vintage just to identify them and create some record of the real Ferrari that has been lost.

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    They're all repulsive fakes, just used as ego boosters trying to fool people. Some people aren't meant to own rare Ferraris, real AC Cobras, Porsche Speedsters, Shelby Mustangs, Di Vinci paintings, Michaelangelo sculptures, 10 carat diamonds, Patek watches. I can live with my financial shortcomings.

What fakes do is water down the specialness of the real thing. They are discusting and so are the people that perpetuate the fraud.

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Not well, IMO, if it has a non-F drivetrain and a fake "copy" body badged like the real thing.

On the other hand, something that looks like it could have come from one of the European design studios (but is not badged nor shaped as a direct imitation), with a well-executed F drivetrain, would be a "customer rebody" that continues a long tradition -- JMO...

12. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I do not appreciate or desire replicas of anything.

A replica of a Renoir is called a FORGERY.

Why would cars be any different?

If Enzo wanted Everyman to own a Ferrari, he would have made more of them and priced them accordingly.

13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Many of those aren't so much "replicas" as "continued production by a different company". ;)

I mean, if you put a Cobra body kit on a VW, *that's* a replica.
    But if it matches the original as much as possible, that's a clone. ;)

I hear Hawk makes Stratos clones so close they can exchange body panels with the original cars.

14. tricky360

tricky360 Rookie

Jun 20, 2010
    when it comes to ferrari then alot of people get a bit more defensive,
    like its there own brand, you either got to be anti replica full stop or not, you cant pick and choose, ferrari replicas are bad etc but a cobra replica is ok in my book etc.

you have to have the same attitude to :
    fake boobs
    glass eyes
    pacemakers
    artificial limbs
    wigs
    mock tudor houses
    bmw's with m3 badges
    the list goes on ,there all replica things

15. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    For $100K there is no reason you could not have a proper Ferrari V12 under the bonnet of a kit 250. Do you have the choice between the LWB and SWB? I do not believe in putting in the wrong engine or an engine from another manufacturer if I was trying to replicate any car especially a Ferrari.

Do your research and do not rush into anything, hell for $100K you could buy a very nice early 550 Barchetta (I think) for under $100K and imho that is what smart money would do.

Good luck.

16. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    The only replica Ferrari I have appreciated, is the 288GTO Evoluzione based on a 328 chassis.

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I dont have a specific dislike of replica Ferrari's other than the Factory can legally sue you on trademark infringment and take your $100K car away...

but, the California with 505BHP? I would not want to be behind the wheel with all that power in that chassis???

If you are going to do a replica I like the ones done on a 250 GTE chassis & engine... but they most likely are more than your budget... you could pay $700K for a GTO, which looks and performs like the original, and is in all sense a Real Ferrari, but at about $38.3 M less.

18. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Replica's only replicate a shape - Ferrari is much more than a shape... I would think it'd just be embarassing when you turned the key.

19. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    I have a buddy that has 3 replica Lamborghini Diablos and one of the coolest real Diablos around, so money is not an issue in alot of cases. The whole ego boost thing goes both ways, you could fill a stadium with the amount of posers with the real deal. My opinion is that I rather have someone build themselves a replica than trying to get the real deal by less honest means....

20. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Ditto!

21. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    #21 hotsauce, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    I think what it comes down to is some one trying to make something that looks fast or is some one trying to replicate a piece of art.

22. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    If you typically hang out with non-Ferrari types you will probably be happy with the replica. If you want to socialize with other Ferrari owners, you will be treated like crap and it will probably ruin the whole experience.

As others have said, if participation in Ferrari events and other things is important to you, you should buy a real Ferrari that fits your budget.

23. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I am not quite sure that is 100% true yet that is why I suggested using a real Ferrari V12 in a 250GT replica. Hell there are probably only a few FChat members who could actually afford a real 250GT but finding one that is f/s is probably next to impossible. I have never had an issue with a well done replica aslong as its drivetrain stays true to the original.

Ferrari replica's can be very very well done but to raise the hood of a very well done example only to spy a frickin Chevy engine, that is unacceptable in my book.

24. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    Well, perhaps I came off a little strong. There are nice people (as well as jerks) everywhere. Not all Ferrari owners have issues with replicas and many treat people respectfully regardless of what they drive, but I can promise that there will be some that will be running their mouth and putting down your car.

I have owned a replica (not of a Ferrari) in the past, so I am not one of those people that is vehemently against them. I just want to point out the reality so that if you go the replica route you are not met with disappointment.

In my case, I did not sell my replica because of this issue, but it is true that constantly having the explain what the car was one of the negative parts of an otherwise very good ownership experience.

I think the best advice is to buy a real Ferrari and see of that scratches the itch. If after a year or two you still want the rep, you can easily see the real F-car and go that route.

Good luck with whichever direction you choose.

25. RedFlyer512TR

RedFlyer512TR Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Hi, nothing beats the real thing. You could get a real '87 Testarossa that would fit great in your budget. I am 6'4", the 512 TR fits tailor made, also in your budget. Go original and don't look back. Rain or shine, it will be your Ferrari with no explanation neccessary.