Remember the stolen F50 from Algar? | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Remember the stolen F50 from Algar?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Agent Smith, Feb 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    Sketchy stuff — why not just divulge everything? This car has a history that is easily researchable, especially if you are planning on spending over a million dollars. It just makes the dealership seem shady and untrustworthy.

2. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Did they lol. #Loser

3. AirCooledPorsche

Nov 29, 2012
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I am sick and tired of you guys bashing cars with harmful comments. First of all, We don't allow any negative comments on Intragram. This F50 currently has been Certified through Ferrari North America and has a Classiche Pending through an authorized Ferrari Dealership. The asking price is $1.2M not $1.7M like the last one Sold. Unless you guys are in any position to write that kind of a check, Inwoild suggest you guys ease off a bit. Calling people losers on this forum is a concern of its own and would be addressed by the moderators shortly.

4. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    What's Intragram?

5. AirCooledPorsche

Nov 29, 2012
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Just an FYI, I bought this car 10 months ago and put 500 miles with no worries and had it inspected by a Ferrari Dealer prior to purchase. Paid considerably less than a no stories one.

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

and now it's for sale again?

This is your car, your listing?

D

7. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave

I'm assuming he's the dealer listing the car now.

8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I would think with the amount of work done to get the car back in shape, plus the salvage title, you'd get a 20% discount off the retail on a no stories car.

I saw this car, at Algar, a day or two before it was stolen. It was an absolutely gorgeous example. Low miles as I recall, and it was very well maintained. It was just a great car.

I was told the folks at Algar were offered the car back after it was wrecked. They did an inspection and passed on it.

This is one of those instances where a salvage title probably is a little misleading. I doubt the damage "totaled" the car. But it was stolen and recovered, and had some pretty serious damage done to it. Once the original owner passed on taking it back, I'd guess the insurance company probably had no choice but to re-title it.

D

9. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    What harmful or negative comments? I asked if it was the car stolen from Algar and crashed by the FBI with a link to this thread. Those were questions related to events that actually happened - aka facts.

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yup. This will certainly help you sell the car. Grab a bucket of attitude and pour it on out.

You're on a forum with multiple buyers capable of ponying up this kind of money. Many who HAVE paid this or more. We have a member who paid $13MM for a car. There are others who have a half dozen cars that are as or more valuable than this one.

Why not try this?

"Hey guys, if you're interested, give us a call and we'll discuss the car. It's a beauty, and because of its interesting history, available at a significant discount over other F50's.

Yes, it is the car stolen from Algar, but it has been expertly repaired, we have all the info on that as well, and we are working to get its Ferrari Classiche Certificate."

The old adage, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar certainly applies when wooing buyers for cars worth north of $1MM.

(And yes, I know that **** attracts even more flies, but not the kind of flies you want.)

D

11. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Look, here's the thing. The car has a fascinating history. Because of the rarity that history may not harm it as badly as say a 360 or 430 in the same circumstances. Most of the comments I've seen around this car relate to questions on the quality of repair. And those are legitimate concerns that (hopefully) you could educate a prospective purchaser on.

The cars history can be used as a marketing ploy if one were clever enough. It gets people talking. Isn't that what you want when selling something, especially something as exclusive as a F50? And on a board like this, you have a concentrated pool of prospects who are passionate about Ferrari. I have to believe that addressing the rebuild concerns on a forum like this in a professional manner would only have a positive impact on your ability to sell the car and add further documentation to its already storied history.

Snarky responses like the one above and deleting questions on Instagram only add credibility to what comes up when "Top Gear Imports NJ" is run through Google.

12. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #287 bernardo66, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Moderator has addressed the issue and concluded that:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rmani likes this.
  13. autophile84

autophile84 Rookie

May 29, 2013
    #288 autophile84, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
    I hate to intervene in these petty discussions about who said what and who paid what and what is or isn't the case, but I'm going to set the record straight right now - anybody who has questions can reach out to me personally:

This F50 103494 was MY CAR which I sold to my good personal friends at Topgear imports after I bought it from Symbolic in 2013. I am THE SAME guy ******* asshat ******bag whatever the **** else I have been called who wrecked 104799 in the same year - which is a different story entirely. I am an F50 aficionado and apart from Dan Herd and Jim Spiro I have driven MORE MILES in F50s than ANYONE I KNOW talking on this forum.

103494 is A STRAIGHT NO ISSUES CAR. It was a THEFT RECOVERY car NOT reconstruction rebuildable case. I bought the car from symbolic ONLY AFTER Ferrari NA PERSONALLY vetted the car for me and agreed to submit it for classiche certification. I know these cars inside and out. 103494 is a cleaner faster straighter car than 104799 which was an ALL ORIGINAL unmolested F50 cared for by two of the best enthusiasts in our little world. Any nonsense talk about it being a ****ed up car with issues should stop right here and right now.
    Period.

Second, I would politely request that the muppets in here stop talking smack about dealers with whom they have had no personal experience - especially Topgear. If ANYONE on here has bought a car from them and had anything but a 100% top class experience I defy you to tell me - I have bought and sold millions of $ of cars through them and in a marketplace filled with hucksters and frauds and cheats I have had nothing but a great partnership with these guys.

So
    Bottom line
    Truth is in disclosure. Speculate and rumor and bull**** all you want but if you want the straight dope on this car talk to me and cut the middle school locker room crap.

Thanks.
    Always a pleasure sharing this passion with all of you.

All the best in your endeavors.
    GG

14. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    mechanically maybe, but trust me, this car has issues. I'm sure 30 years from now nobody is going to care about the history as much. But you can easily quantify the cost of those "issues" right now by the price correction versus other cars without issues.

15. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    #290 Veedub00, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    #291 Agent Smith, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
    See? That's the kind of professional response and information I was looking for lol

17. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    AirCooledPorsche and autophile84 describe the car as a very good no issues car with Ferrari Red book in the waiting. I see no reason to doubt that as none of us actually inspected this car and the quality of the repair work. I would like to wait and see if the Classique will be issued. When exactly was it submitted to Ferrari? Ferrari financial is willing to finance a salvaged titled car? All that is quite important if true and will raise the desirability and value of the car. From my previous dealings lenders will not touch a rebuilt titled car...

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Isn't it tough if not impossible to register a car with a salvage title in some states?

19. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    The Ferrari warranty certification (if that is being done) is the key. If it gets that, then it is half the battle on the quality of the repairs.

A Classiche certification does not speak to the road worthiness of the car, only its originality and unmodified state without taking it apart. For a F50 Classiche all you need to do is to take the wheels and undertray off. For example, it will tell you that the fuel bladder is a Ferrari part but not that it is past its recommended life. Anything not visible (behind body panels) is not part of the report.

20. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #295 geno berns, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
    The car can be registered with no problems once a licensed rebuilder has repaired and than passed a state inspection. The car at the end has a "rebuild" title.

21. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #296 geno berns, Feb 21, 2015
    All true the Classiche will not tell you much other than the originality of the car. There is no X-ray vision to know what the tub looks like after a collision. I would think that the shop or the owner repairing the damaged F50 had the forth sight to document what was found after the car was apart and take some pics.

22. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    #297 VIZSLA, Feb 21, 2015
    Thanks.

23. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Did you and air cooled go to the same charm school?

Your post is certainly going to go a long way towards getting the car sold here.

Don't any of you guys get it?

And no, I did not see the car after it was repaired, all I have to go by is what the previous owner, who is a long time friend of mine, told me after the car was recovered, then abused by the feds, then examined by his people.

I don't know if it was expertly repaired. I don't know if they swapped out the fuel bladder while they were repairing it, I just know he didn't want the car back when it was offered to him.

Why can't you guys approach this from an informational angle, instead of raising your hackles and attacking? Telling the good folks here that they're ignorant of the facts isn't gonna help your case.

I wish you guys all the success in the world in selling your car, but I don't see your posts as contributing to that success.

D

imahorse likes this.
  24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    This seller has the same attitude as the guy flogging the 348 with a salvage title.
    I don't get it. The car is what it is no matter how offended the sellers get.

25. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    2 posts (on the same topic) in almost three years isn't sharing much of anything. :rolleyes: