Remember the stolen F50 from Algar? | FerrariChat

Remember the stolen F50 from Algar?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Agent Smith, Feb 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20110224/AUTO01/102240478/1148/Insurer-sues-FBI-for-crashing-Ferrari

Detroit— The FBI broke a $750,000 Ferrari, but didn't buy it.

Now, they won't produce records that could shed light on the costly crash, according to a lawsuit filed today in U.S. District Court in Detroit.

Advertisement

A Michigan insurance company sued the FBI and U.S. Department of Justice today to compel production of records sought under the Freedom of Information Act.

The lawsuit stems from the May 2009 crash of a Ferrari F50 in Lexington, Ky. The exotic sports car was being driven by an FBI special agent who lost control and crashed into a tree, significantly damaging the car, according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit chronicles the mysterious case of a stolen Ferrari that later ended up in the FBI's custody.

The sports car was stolen from a Ferrari dealership in Rosemont, Penn., in September 2003. The dealer submitted a claim to Southfield-based Motors Insurance Corp., which had insured the Ferrari.

Motors Insurance paid the claim and assumed ownership of the Ferrari.

Almost five years later, in August 2008, the FBI and local law-enforcement authorities found the Ferrari in Kentucky.

The FBI stored the Ferrari during an investigation and eventual prosecution of the thief, according to the lawsuit.

Then, the FBI took it for an ill-fated spin, according to the lawsuit.

Following the crash, Motors Insurance submitted a claim to the FBI and Justice Department for $750,000.

The federal agencies rejected the claim last March, arguing the crash happened while the Ferrari was being detained by the FBI, according to the lawsuit. The insurance company tried again, but the claim was rejected a second time in September.

In October, the insurer submitted FOIA requests for documents relating to the use, custody, possession, storage or transportation of the Ferrari. Motors Insurance also asked for documents relating to the accident.

Two requests were either denied — citing federal exemptions — or went unanswered. In one response, the Justice Department produced an e-mail from Assistant U.S. Attorney J. Hamilton Thompson from May 27, 2009, the day of the crash.

The e-mail indicated Thompson took a "short ride" in the Ferrari with FBI Special Agent Frederick C. Kingston, who lost control and crashed into a curb, bushes and a small tree.

The Ferrari vehicle "fishtailed and slid sideways" within only a few seconds of leaving the warehouse where the vehicle was being stored," according to the lawsuit.

"Needless to say we need to see the suit and make a determination on how we'd respond in court," Justice Department spokesman Charles Miller said in an interview today.

Hmmmmmm. Whoops!!

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    If the car was already in FBI possession and garaged in a warehouse, why was it driven by an FBI agent? What is the point of that drive?

How can the FBI reject the claim just because the car was detained by them? So they can do whatever they want with one's property while it is in their possession?? That sounds like theft..

3. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    It was obviously an unauthorized joy ride. Perhaps not theft, just idiocracy. He was just doing what we all dream of doing (be honest) but discovered real life is very different from Gran Turismo.

4. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    How? Are you kidding, its the FBI...besides, its "secret gov't business" so if they told you, they'd have kill you :)

5. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    For once, i hope the insurance company wins. They simply stole that F50 and crashed it.

6. madmaxatl

madmaxatl Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2007
    Buckhead, Palo Alto
    Full Name:
    Don Johnson
    You mean to tell me that the incompetence that is law enforcement in the US misused resources and then lied to cover it up? Shocking.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Why is it I get the feeling this was a case of "Now its my turn"?

This was the last joy ride, not the first.

8. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I hope the agent who decided it was time to drive a ferrari. That he neither owned or was prepared to be personally financially responsible for. Ended up riding a desk somewhere in Juno Alaska for hopefully a very very long time.

9. Garymyman

Garymyman Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2008
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Gray
    He is an assistant US attorney; he can find a new job in a heart beat.

As for the damage (forgive a stupid question): Wouldn't the FBI have an umbrella policy to cover property damaged in their possession?

2nd question: Will this car be fixed? Is street value enough to justify a new carbon fiber tub?

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yep, my thoughts exactly! :D:D

11. Doctor7474

Doctor7474 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    Most govt entities are self insured, and you have to ask for permission to sue them from them.... or thats the way I understand it a lawyer could chime in.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Driver was FBI, passenger was AUSA.

Car will be in limbo until this is all settled. Once settled the market price for a rebuilt F50 and the price and availability of a tub will dictate that. Tubs are very expensive and not getting any cheaper. Plus the cars history will impact its value. I suspect it will be repaired but its going to cost a pile.

I know of 2 Federal employees that should already be looking for new jobs and the list should really include everyone stonewalling as well. It really offends me when Federal employees that hold us to such high standards act like a bunch of frat boys then lie and obfuscate when they F up.

13. Jaws

Jaws Karting

Nov 30, 2006
    New England - USA
    I can see him now, nailing it out of the lot, losing traction and getting sideways, the big lift and hello curbside.

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    So that's what happened to that car. You know, you really can't make this stuff up.

In my younger days, I worked for the IRS, and I worked a few cases with the criminal guys (lots of war stories). But talk about a gang that couldn't shoot straight. Those bozos always wondered why I wouldn't go to lunch with them or ride with them in a car. (Because they would strap on just to go to lunch, I was scared they would drop the damn thing and shoot me. Plus, they didn't give a squat when they got into a car. If a local yokel pulled them, they just flashed the badge.)

A couple of them later transferred to ATF. Waco didn't work out too well for them. Turns out bad guys don't need Quantico training to pull a trigger.

Dale

15. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    there is so much to this story... much is speculated about, some of it right, some of it wrong.

I do hope this whole situation is resolved. I have a feeling it will spend more time waiting to be repaired than it spent missing.

16. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    So where has the car been since 2003? And didn't a F-Chatter own it for awhile before he sold it back to his friend? Did they ever convict or even charge the people that stole it? This is an incredible story.

MDS

17. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    My thoughts exactly, perhaps it was unknown the car was indeed the ALGAR car at the time the Fchatter owned it. Definitely much more to come. It has taken a while to get this far as I remember this incident was a while back. Certainly a thread to watch

18. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    If those two were reassigned or relieved of duty shortly after the accident, wouldn't that basically amount to an admission of liability by the FBI?

19. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Now that the parties are discussing this openly in public court briefings, I am free to discuss the whole saga. Needless to say, this F50 was quite the ride...one that could have ended up costing some significant coin :) Luckily, once I discovered the true identity of the car with help from FNA and Ferrari SpA (thank God for engine #'s) I was able to get my purchase price back from the seller while the FBI investigated other stolen cars in his possession. In the end, he was convicted and was sentenced to jail time...the only fly in the ointment is that the FBI crashed the car while in their possession (I was in discussions with the insurance company and the original owners to buy it back).

I will chronicle the whole saga later today when I have some time...grab some popcorn and blankets !

imahorse likes this.
  20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Jas, it did look amazing on your driveway. Looking for another one?

21. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I didn't want to put your name down, but I remember you were involved with a F50 and I couldn't believe you'd sell it back. This makes more sense. Can't wait to hear "the rest of the story".

MDS

PS: Grabbing popcorn and blankets.

22. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #22 nthfinity, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
  24. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Jas this should be a great story for the group.

Seriously, that day was one of the most memorable days of my life so far. What a fun trip. Its really fortunate for the whole community to have you on here.

25. chris360hawks

chris360hawks Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris Hard
    This is going to be a sweet story!