Remember the stolen F50 from Algar? | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Remember the stolen F50 from Algar?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Agent Smith, Feb 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Remember the thief was able to wash the title in Kentucky. From earlier in this thread:

I also thought the car had found a home - surely with Symbolic's disclosures in their ad the buyer must have known what they were getting.

This latest Ebay ad... not so much. :eek:

>8^)
    ER

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oh, I remember - I've documented every detail about this car long before any of this became public. This car pains me every time it comes up.

3. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    So in your opinion was the tub damaged in the crash? And if so any indication how it was repaired?

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    There hasn't been any indication, from anyone, as to whether or not the tub was damaged. And I can't speak to the repair. I received a call from Jamie Hoxie at the Justice Department, 27 October 2009, after the car was wrecked. She called trying to determine the value. She said it had 6,000 miles, was missing the soft top, missing the hard top case, no books, curb-rashed wheels, and someone (previous owner?) tried to touch up some chipped paint. She wouldn't say anything about the tub.

When Bill Noon had it for sale, 14 June 2013, he meticulously documented its history. Here's an excerpt from his ad:
    "The FBI initially claimed that the damage was purely superficial. They maintained that the carbon fiber tub was undamaged and the car would still be fully drivable after minimal repairs to the body work. Their story and defense quickly changed after receiving guidance from justice department lawyers and the new defense claim was immunity from prosecution under the auspices that the damage occurred during official duty and as such they were not accountable. After several years of court battles, U.S. Federal Judge Avern Cohn dismissed the lawsuit, ruling that while the wreck of the F50 with an FBI agent at the wheel was "certainly unfortunate," federal law grants immunity to the government for damages to property in law enforcement custody. In order to recoup their losses, the car was serviced and partially repaired into a drivable state. With a new "theft recovered" title having been issued, the Ferrari was publicly auctioned off and purchased by a West Coast dealer who recently completed the final repairs and services that were needed. Today this F50 is being sold with all the repairs and services completed."

It pains me whenever I see it because I was contacted about it years ago; excitement got the best of me and I let the phony VIN slip through my fingers. If I just took a moment to verify the check digit, I would've known then and there that something was wrong. I literally had this car on my radar when it was still stolen but undiscovered, and a minute worth of work, that I didn't bother doing, ended up exploding into what we all now know. It caused a lot of grief for some innocent parties - grief that could've been completely avoided had I just bothered to verify the VIN's check digit.

5. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #255 Flash G, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Can someone explain the "serial numbers removed - replaced with a Kentucky plate".

How does THAT work??

7. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Surely now the original title is known this can be re-established to the car and an original spec VIN plate sourced from ferrari to put it back as was pre theft.

All this discussion of chassis damage is a red herring, a proper inspection by a serious buyer rather than internet speculators is all thats required. Such possible damage can be/ and is regularly rectified on carbon fibre structures.

Sure it should be reflected in a sale price, but given that this is taken into account I dont see how its a stain on the cars future.

8. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    According to RufMD:

The sad part of this is what happened to the F50 in FBI hands. The car was being shifted from one location to another and the roads were greasy from a light rainfall. Where the accident happened is a small industrial road but it is at a crest. I think it came over the crest a little hot and the back end got wiggly on the wet surface. He went over a curb, took out the rear wheel and suspension and planted the side of the car firmly around a tree. Unfortunately, this caused terminal damage to the tub. Its sad, because I was in discussions with Algar and the insurance company to buy it back. The terms of Algars insurance policy gave them first right of refusal to buy it back. Once the car had crashed, they sent technicians over to take a look at it...their inspection lasted 5 mins at which point they declared it a total loss.

9. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    So no matter what anyone selling the car says the tub was damaged. Rufmd has no reason to lie about it. If it wasn't damaged he would likely own the car still.

10. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Anyone have a friend at Algar? I assume their inspection of the car would have produced the most telling images for the legal claim that was initiated against the FBI.

>8^)
    ER

11. 6t7

6t7 Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    Oz
    Full Name:
    Brett
    This story is truly incredible. Each plot twist crazier than the last.
    The brazen initial theft
    Hiding something so noticeable in plain site
    Taken people at partys for drives and lending it out for a week
    Not paying for fuel - close call with cops
    The sale, then no sale and Jas' neat hustle to get his money back
    The f***tard FBI and their complete disregard of responsibility
    Now the whole mysterious level of repair and selling of the car
    I LOVE THIS STORY!!!!
    AMAZING!!!!
    I am deep in this story, ignoring everything else and only coming up for air to tell my wife the latest development in this epic tale
    She is kinda interested but keeps likening the story to 'Catch me if you can' and says Mr DeCaprio could play Tom H Baker (the thief)
    Someone in this community must have the means to get the story to someone in the screenwriters community. Make for an interesting film methinks

12. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I tell my wife all about this story too. She's so sick of hearing about it lol. This has to be the CRAZIEST story I've ever seen unfold and over so many years - starting all the way back from when it was stolen.

13. Sundrop

Sundrop Rookie

Nov 16, 2014
    My question is how is this pilot still flying with jetblue, and they have allowed it, just recently came across an article that he also got arrested for a dui and hit someone and yet he flys and is allowed, where is justice in all of this

14. nextgenairbus

nextgenairbus Rookie

Nov 19, 2014
    4-15-2014 TB is involved in a dui accident.

A few weeks ago tsa agent suspects that he is drunk and he is pulled for testing. Tests positive and is fired.

How had he managed to hide in "plane " sight?

Who knows? Was he lying on his faa medical forms? Was it as simple as a different spelling on his license? ex bill h smith or bill smith for example?

Looks like a sad ending cant understand why a $250k a year job with a 13% retirement contribution and 18 days off a month is not enough for some people.

15. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    For sale again

16. GreenLantern

GreenLantern Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2010
    CA, NV, TX
    Where? :)

17. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
  18. GreenLantern

GreenLantern Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2010
    CA, NV, TX
    Ah. Thanks!

I checked eBayMotors and found nothing. They really don't have a website listing their entire inventory, so it rotates through their eBayMotors store, unfortunately. Very annoying. :(

19. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    It's great when you google the name and "ripoff report" and other negative comments populate the psge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Very nearly left a "Drive it like you stole it" comment on IG. :D

>8^)
    ER

rmani likes this.
  21. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It would be funny to post a IG comment eith a link to the 2Chainz video "Feds Watching". :D

22. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Comment posted with a link back to this thread.

23. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    If you did, it would seem they deleted it.

24. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave

Yep, they deleted it. I saw the comment on the picture.