red meat | FerrariChat

red meat

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Edward 96GTS, Apr 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    just heard that carnitine in red meat is responsible for the complications of heart dx, such as high cholesterol and plaque formation. possible cure is antibiotics to help the gut minimize carnitine uptake.
    also, a popular supplement is l-carnitine. hmmm
    discuss

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  3. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Wow, surprising that our ancestors survived their red meat feasts...

Kai

4. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Thinking that what our ancestors would consider a “red meat feast” in today’s world would be looked at eating in moderation.

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    In one sitting maybe ?

We went through this at home recently ..... We are trying to keep red meat consumption down to 2x a week, it's actually harder than one would think to keep it at that level.

6. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    Very interesting especially the gut bugs angle as that is something I have been interested in for a long time (as an aside just remember that that area is very different from one person to the next. Some people can eat things that others can't tolerate at all)

Coincidentally last week I began thinking about what sticks to arteries and how can you prevent it or reverse it, so I started reading a little and I found this story linked below. very good read and more in depth and direct in its cause and effect.

The Dietary Causes Of Heart Disease

That researcher says high levels of oxysterols in the blood cause a high level of sphingomyelin in the arterial wall that attracts the calcium going by to stick and eventually block it.

he blames trans-fats and frying food in reused oils and there are other ways of getting high levels of oxysterols - lots of articles out there.

7. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
  8. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    I just looked at it and they are basically pushing veganism. I can say for a fact, because I ran the test on myself, that going to a low protein diet (iow's low meat diet) will destroy your muscle, assuming you have some. It is an unhealthy diet imo and can not support any decent amount of musculature. Fine if you want to be a tiny SE Asian peasant.

9. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Helpful information on l-carnatine guys. Thanks. A number of years ago, the wife and I were convinced by a cardiologist that l-carnatine was a good thing. I've been taking it regularly for a long time but will now stop.

10. f-man

f-man Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 10, 2008
    canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I workout in my own gym or hotel gyms everyday. I moderately watch my diet but mostly eat what I enjoy. I like beer a little too much but not a real issue.
    I don't eat as much red meat because frankly, I dont feel good after I eat it anymore.
    I love the taste however.

11. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I probably should start a new thread, but...

Just got my lipid particle size done (NMR method). I was on statins, got myopathy, and have been off of them. The short story is that my lipid profile suggests I should already be dead. Quick research suggests low carb helps particle size (and I am already gluten free, which has decreased my carb intake somewhat). But red meat wouldn't seem to be the answer (apologies to the paleo diet finds).

The only good news is was that my HDL were really good.

12. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I eat what I want within reason, because the battle with cholesterol is never ending.
    I take statins but the side effects a crap and make me feel like I'm an 80 year old. So I eat what I want, drink loads of water and exercise two or three times a week.
    Living rural we grow our own beef, and that's hard to beat :)
    At the end of the day what will be will be.
    Oh yeh, I weigh 72 kg.s. Hardy obese!

13. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Then crank up the protein, if on the China diet. Plenty of good sources of protein other than eating a cow...

Fish, veggies, protein drinks; all are better than cow.

14. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No.

15. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    Veggies - no way, I don't think veganism is really a serious long-term healthy adherence

Protein drinks - I seriously question their benefit and now with a slightly compromised GI track (GF), it's kinda like putting canola oil in your crankcase

Fish may be viable, but I have eaten pallets worth of tuna over the years and want some variety.

As mentioned in another thread, I know an awful lot about gaining muscle naturally learned by trial and error, and when I have had great results it was done w/o any supplements, just by eating a mainstream diet with an assortment of meats, lean for the most part of cooked in a way that what went in me was extremely fat free.