" Recent major Service" and other lies | FerrariChat

" Recent major Service" and other lies

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by bigeasy, Mar 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    When I purchased my 84 Mondial QV Cab. the seller from Pam beach gardens FL. stated in the add that it just received a major service, which of course, included new timing belts and such. After going over the car and noticed nearly all the things the PO said he did to the car were not true, I decided to go ahead and change the timing belts and tensioner bearings just to be sure. Thanks to Bell's video and off line advice I changed out the belts and replaced the tensioner bearings with the Hill engineering bearings. The old belts were date coded form 1996 and looked that old. Kind of like the story were the sellers states the A/C only needs a "recharge", we all know where that leads, new compressor, hoses, expansion valve , drier, etc. etc.

I see way to many sellers on E-Bay stating their F-Cars have undergone a fresh major service, If they cannot provide documentation to that fact, expect they are not telling you the truth.

2. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Mark you're spot on about the documentation. It's absolutely vital. A lying seller is one issue but a snapped cam belt is something I don't want to think about. gulp!!

My quick guide to buying. "Buy" the seller first. If you can't do that. Walk.

Jeff

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #3 MvT, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    What a bummer Mark! I really do not understand what people get into in saying such a big thing is done, but infact is not. Kind of risky too. Good thing is that you took care of it!

I think you need to consider a car without those bills/papers/documentation you always need to do the whole story on service such a car requires and do not accept what the PO says. That is what I have learned over the years and also take it into account to do. This way you will never be disappointed and often get confirmation when you will start the maintenance work :) that gives a good feeling when you are right :)

...and cars are always in a worser state then POs mention (On Ebay that is) unless it is from a trusted seller. Obvious since they want to sell it :)

4. Lotusman33

Lotusman33 Rookie

Feb 13, 2016
    England
    Full Name:
    Dave Noble
    At least you had the sense to check the car over throughly even if the result was extra unexpected cost. Unfortunately there are a lot of dis-honest people out there which is not just private sellers. My car had a full comprehensive Ferrari service history and was only serviced 200 miles before the fire which destroyed it, after months of battling the insurance i had an engineer examine the car which proved the fuel line burst. Ironically the main dealer who carried out the major service billed me for a full fuel line set along with new plugs! The engineer stated there were old plugs of three different manufacturers fitted!!
    Since this incident I only carry out my own work which I always did on other cars but decided to keep up the history for my Ferrari.
    Thankfully I did get paid for the car but not its value as could not replace it, the insurance then recovered all costs from the Main Dealer which did provide me a smile! ��
    Great post and reminder for us all to check what others do to our pride and joys.

5. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Its an old story. I remember a couple of years ago someone found out the dealer, I think it was Ferrari, adjusted cam shims using the specs from the wrong engine! It did not apparently hurt anything though.

One of the nice things about being a Ferrarichat member is EVERYONE will know everything I know about my car. I don't see selling it, but eventually I will croak and perhaps the car goes up for sale. And if I ever do decide to sell it - for instance if I BREAK it badly enough, I will tell everything both good and bad things it might include.

Right now it is mostly resting up for the 1/2 mile drag race in May. Whatever the outcome I fully expect to be issued with timing slips. That will be a rare thing for very many Ferraris! Of course I have been speculating "the purple ones are faster" for quite some time based on many 60-120 runs but then again running fast in fourth gear will make anyone feel fast!

6. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    #6 bigeasy, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If nothing else, at least my car seems to provide proof that our cars can go 20 years without a belt change, I had the car up to 7K numerous times thinking I was on "new" belts. the date de-code proved otherwise. Maybe just lucky, thanks again to Bell Bloke for his great video's and responses to my questions making the change easy, A/C removal and replacement was 2/3 of the job.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. redlightrich

redlightrich Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    north New Jersey USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Looking at that picture, it appears you dropped the cradle, but did not disconnect everything, sort of working on it under the car?

Are those coolant hoses disconnect or still connected? I was curious about this as I am getting prepared to do the same job. My guess is I will service the coolant system while doing the major, so it doesn't make too much difference, but I do like to know what is possible.

Thank you and good on you for being smart enough to check. BTW, at the risk of re-starting the timing belt war, I believe that the belts are way stronger than Ferrari suggests. 3 years (especially if starting with belts that are not aged out on the shelf) is a short period of time, especially when so few miles ( and heat cycles) occur.

I guess it is like insurance. You pay based on your appetite for risk.

Rich

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Most of the service can be done on earlier Mondials with the engine in, belt service, water pump, alternator. With a 3.4 like yours that is a different story. You will need to drop the engine to do the belts or water pump.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I recently worked on a car that had a major service right before the purchase. It had something done alright, but the bare minimum with lots of corners cut. It came with cracked frame not fixed, suspension bushing pulled out of its position, oil lines leaked bad, coolant hoses not connected to the heater (and the invoice clearly included a charge for those hoses), engine mounts toasted, worn clutch, and kluber grease totally leaked out. It was so sub-par, I am not sure I trust the timing belt was even changed....

10. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    On the early Mondials (8, QV, 3.2), the engine is mounted transversely. The timing belts, accessory belts, AC/Compressor, water pump - all the good stuff - is fairly easily accessible through the passenger side wheel well. Likewise, the clutch is accessible through the driver side wheel well.

On your car, your engine is mounted longitudinally. And, from what I've read, requires you to drop the engine - a tedious but not overly complex endeavor. There's numerous threads in the 348 forum on how to do this. An added bonus for you, is that you can check the subframe for corrosion and cracks when you have it out.

I can't find it now, but there was a hilarious thread in that section, from someone whom claimed to do an engine-in service on a 348 - by cutting out part of the firewall. Needless to say, mass chaos reigned on that thread.

Congrats on your purchase. We are looking forward to seeing another lost/abused car restored!

Would you be willing to document the process in a restoration thread here on F-Chat? For me, those are some of the most interesting threads to read. Plus, I usually learn a lot from them.

Sid

P.S - I tend to agree with you on the timing belt longevity issue. 3-years is (too me) a ridiculously short period.

11. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    easy access to this part of the engine, by just removing the passenger side wheel and inner fender liner. (1984 Mondial QV cab.) all coolant lines left in check as I serviced that part of the car last year.

This is the best and most knowledgeable car Forum I have ever been a part of. I have now completed 72, yes 72 repairs, upgrades, and preventative maintenance items myself, largely due to the guidance and patience of our members.. All items have been documented, receipts in a binder, and logged into a spreadsheet, do you really want to know how much you have into a car?? scary stuff the way it all adds up over time$$$$ I guess if I were to track how much money I have saved, it would bring a smile to my face I'm sure.

12. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I think if one would were to track the labor time and add it up on the costs of parts, one could buy a new Ferrari :) IMHO most reliable and without lack of maintenance Mondials/3x8s are from the DYI folks here, with the exception of folks on this forum that bring their beauties to reputal shops.

13. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    That reminds me of the show "Wheeler Dealers" I like the series, but when they show that they made a tidy profit of $ 1,ooo,oo they never list the labor costs involved. there goes the tidy profit. I'm sure Edd spends that much on logo t-shirts and hair gel alone. Good "Nick" doesn't come cheap.

14. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I was thinking of exactly the same thing! Last episode they were repairing a BMW M3 with more costs than initially thought. Gone profit! And Ed grinding his teeth.. again ... LOL He's been working for years and years for free...

Maybe I can send him my work!

15. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    I always thought they rolled the labor cost into the "costs"...possibly not.

16. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Nope, not a penny, pound or shilling! Ed's labor is "free."

He should have his own show.
    Alden