Rear glass trouble | FerrariChat

Rear glass trouble

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by preston400i, Mar 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    Ok, so I've gutted the interior and started removing glass in preparation for the roof graft on my 400i. The windshield was already gone and the quarter windows are out intact.

The rear window is what's giving me trouble. I was ready to start cutting the glue when I noticed about a 1" crack at the bottom edge that would've been covered by the chrome trim. It has since spread, unprovoked, to about 3" in length. The following questions come to mind:

Can a crack repair service fix a crack of 3" that goes to the edge of the glass?

If it cannot be repaired in situ, what is the best way to remove it without causing more damage? I would prefer not to try to cut it, or use piano wire, or anything that's going to jiggle it excessively. Is there a solvent that will dissolve the glue? What's the best course of action?

Assuming I break it beyond repair, what can I do? The rear glass is probably unobainable and obscenely expensive if it could somehow be found. Is the rear glass laminated? Could I separate the laminates and just drive around with a single pane rear window? There isn't much curve to it, so could I just glue in a piece of lexan or perspex? I know there's an antenna along the bottom, but I can probably work something else out for that. What are my options here?

Any and all advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

2. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I know that you are doing this car on a shoe string budget. so inlight of that:

If the window cracks, you can use it as a template for a lexan window. Lay down the original glass, place the sheet of plastic sheeting over the old window, apply heatgun, and Viola - a new, cheap, questionably legal rear window...

The car you are creating is somewhat of a "one off." If you are thinking of using original parts, it will likely be financially ruinous.

By the way, did you ever get the engine leaks/etc figured out??

Here is an idea, and the purists will of course shoot me:

Make it into a convertible. Strenghten the frame, weld the doors shut, leave the top off. The car is worth $7000 from your previous posts, so its not as if you are going to hurt the value. Might make a very cool car :).

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Don't know of a solvent that would work (what a mess!!!). You'll have to cut it out (start with a new blade and change them often) Work slowly and gradually you'll get most of it out. Then switch to the piano wire and take out the final bit. It's tedious and there is some risk of breakage, just take it easy.

Anyone else with a better method jump in now.

I don't know if the "crack heads" can fix it or not. You can't separate laminated glass (without a hammer).

Are you sure replacements are unavailable? Windshields get pitted and broken all the time. Rear windows usually last the life of the car. There are probably quite a few used rear windows available, not that many buyers.

PICTURES!!!!!

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    just a thought: get a very small #80 diamond drill bit and drill a hole at the progression point of the crack - if you do this correctly, it should keep the crack from spreading and you will be able to take the window out using the normal proceedure. However, if you do it wrong, the window will need replacing.

regards,

Art S.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've been looking for one for a fellow Fchatter, I haven't been able to locate a back glass anywhere.

2NA, for pictures of preston400i's car go here:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136525055&postcount=94

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I saw those photos when first posted. It's nice to see the project as it goes.

7. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    Thanks for all the advice.

I had a crack guy come and look at it and he said he can fix it no problem. So, for $89, I think the problem will be solved by this weekend. He stressed not trying to remove it until it is bonded, however. Incidentally, he says he can fix up to an 18" crack. For those of you who were resigned to replacing that expensive Ferrari glass, apparently there is an alternate fix.

bpu699: As far as I can tell, the leak thing isn't terminal. No compression loss, no mixing of fluids, just a little coolant on the floor If I leave it sitting for more than about a week in cold weather. It may run forever with no attention, and it may blow up the next time I start it - there's really no way of knowing. I'm just going to play dumb until something more serious manifests itself.

I will get some pictures of the car posted as I go. I may start a thread documenting the progress if no one objects.

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk

Rock & Roll!!!!