Really guilty about CT-Scan | FerrariChat

Really guilty about CT-Scan

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Testacojones, Aug 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    On monday I took my son to the ER because he had a fever and had to short and brief moments of stomach pain. My ex wife insisted on the ER since she was afraid of appendicitis since she had it when she was six years old. Well, all labs, x-rays, and ultra soound were normal and I rejected the CT-Scan they wanted to perform. Then yesterday afternoon my 6 year old came to me saying that he had a little pain again, but this time he pointed right over his appendix so I didn't hesitate and went back to the ER, but this time the doctor said a ct scan right away, but my son wasn't in real pain, he softly said he had a tiny pain on his lower right side of the abdomen. After arguing with the full staff they convinced me so I took my son to have the scan done. This wasn't a pediatric hospital, but the radiologists said that they were setting the machine lower for a kid and not the same amount of radiation as an adult. The test came back negative and no signs of anything wrong so the doctors said it should be something viral and just go home.

I haven't slept all night, I feel like I totally let my son down, I betrayed him. I have never felt so bad about anything in my life, I'm furious at myself, I cried in both fear and anger. I went to my room and punched away at my bed so he couldn't hear me. The thought of having let radiation into my innocent angel is totally repulsive, I really can't look at myself in the mirror or look at my son without feeling sorry for what I did, tears build up instantly. My fear of having done any harm that to him that could cause him a cancer is eating me up.

Anyone has had similar feelings or experienced what I going through right now? I'm scared and can't relax, I'm I blowing this out of proportion?

2. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I think he will be fine...really, it is one isolated incident and most likely will have zero impact on his health later in life. Radiation is a tricky thing, and not even nearly the death sentence a lot of people imagine. There are plenty of folks who have had exposures high enough to have resulted in radiation sickness, yet did not develop any tumors later in life. Some do, but some people develop tumors without having been exposed to much more than ordinary background radiation.

I think, more than passing gamma exposure, the introduction of radionuclides into body tissue via ingestion or respiration is far more likely to cause long term ill effects than an isolated, fairly low dose exposure. So, if I were you, I would take it easy on myself and be glad that my son is OK, even if the test did turn out to be unnecessary. I went through the same appendicitis scare as a kid.

I should add a disclaimer -- I am not a doctor, nor am I a nuclear physicist. :)

3. HighandDry

HighandDry Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Talking as a physician, you are correct that any treatment/diagnostic procedure has some risk. People may develop cancer from radiation therapy, get lung fibrosis from chemo, and die during surgery. However, a CT scan has minimal risk. Don't sweat it.

What you have to do is look at the risk/reward. The risk from one CT scan is minimal, but the complications from a perforated appendix are great.

4. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    I'm 56 years old and have had my body zapped by X-rays, CT scans, and MRI with no cancer issues. I'm sure the machines today are a lot safer then when I was a kid, and having numerous broken bones throughout my life, I got xrayed at a young age. Cancer runs in my family, and so far I'm still fine. Being an active kid will result in visits to the hospital, it did for me, and you will probably experience the same think. I'm not saying that too many would not hurt you in the long run, but think about the flip side, if something was seriously wrong with your child, and you did nothing. If an X-ray at a young age is the worse that ever happens to your child, consider yourself the luckiest man alive.

5. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Thanks guys for the support, I really needed to hear something positive. I was so nervous, but feeling better now since other folks feel the same as you. I'm not the kind to open up or talk about my private worries with anyone, but guys I only live for my two little ones. I couldn't even organize my thoughts to write what I did this morning.

He lost his appetite on Saturday night and no bowel movements since then. I wonder if a whole box of Twizzlers of a decent size (not the small one) that he ate in about ten minutes has anything to do with this. Today he ate little bits throughout the day and went to the bathroom, but only passed some gas.

6. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I am a radiologist and chairman of my department so I understand radiation physics extremely well.

While I understand your fears and apprehension about getting CT scans, I can assure you the amount of radiation a child or adult gets from a scan is far less than the radiation one gets while getting on a plane and flying across the country. If the radiation exposure from medical xrays was far greater than its benefits then everyone would end up going to surgery in each instance. After reading the posts, you made the right choice. As a father of four, I would not have hesitated to get the CT scan right off the bat since I know that most of the time the plain xrays, ultrasounds don't provide as much information as one CT scan. In my mind, I would rather have gotten the Ct scan and gotten a diagnosis then waste time.

Don't beat yourself up over this, I'm sure you will face other xrays or other types of scans in the future as kids are kids and they will have future traumas. As parents its our daily stress tests!

7. didimao0072000

didimao0072000 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    yes..

8. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    No, those who couldn't be bothered with basic math, science and logic at a certain age yet managed to become journalists, politicians, unaccountable bureaucrats and agenda driven teachers are the ones who blow this and many other issues way out of proportion.

You did the right thing by taking advantage of that incredible tech, making sure that your son wasn't dealing with a far more serious condition.

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    One CT has minimal risk, but appendicitis can kill. You did the right thing.

10. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Having watched a friend's son who had a ruptured appendix (because no one suspected appendicitis), I wouldn't hesitate to have my child scanned. Poor guy had two further surgeries for adhesions and bowel obstruction and at least one further hospitalization that didn't lead to surgery. And he had MULTIPLE xrays during those stays that could have been prevented by an initial CT scan.

11. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Thanks "pateljb" for your information. Guys, I'm feeling a lot better after reading your posts.

After reading some google web pages on ct scans I was set on extreme paranoia by those posts. It starting to sound like someone is out on a mission about ct scans like the old campaign that had marijuana as bad as your brain on a frying pan.

12. mrizkallah23

mrizkallah23 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark Rizkallah
    What a good dad keep it up man! I am sure its nothing to worry about, but good to see someone who cares that much!

13. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Thanks for your comments!

Luix

14. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I believe there was a study done that more radiation is transmitted taking 5 airline flights compared to one ct scan. I need to dig that up and post it. I wouldn't worry about the ct scan.

15. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

F-Chatter "pateljb" posted about it some posts above.

I came across a radio oncologists last week and he told me not to worry about the ct scan that son had of his abdominal area, he commented that multiple scans could be bad.

16. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    It was actually frying eggs that they were claiming represented your brain, wasn't it? I like fried eggs! :)

17. tammylynn

tammylynn Rookie

Feb 13, 2013
    I know exactly what you are saying. My son was two years old when he had 2 CT's of the abdomen, one with and one without contrast. I am in the medical field and didn't even question the radiation. The tests ended up being unnecessary. I have felt horrible for years now (my son is now 7) for not asking more about risks/radiation. I have talked to several radiologists at this point, and they all have told me the risk is very small. That has definitely helped ease my fears, although sometimes, I can't help but feel guilty.

18. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob

My wife would feel the same. I'll tell you what I would tell her. You have to make hard choices for your children. It's our job. And like any of us, you did your very best, weighed the evidence, and made the best decision you could make. The outcome was the best possible. I'm glad your son is fine.

19. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    What you did was a preventative measure and you should not feel guilty for that. Better safe than sorry. FWIW, since my bout with cancer 12 years ago, I routinely get a chest x-ray and an ultrasound every single year and I'm not the least bit concerned with over exposure... Having said that, I used to feel the same way with the way my son was medicated over and over for ear infections as a baby... You're doing your job as a parent and you seem dedicated to your boy, so don't beat yourelf up over a CT scan.

Cheers :)

20. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nutritionist wife says get him lots of antioxidants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

21. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Are CTs always used when appendicitis is suspected? Were there no physical exam signs like tender belly over rt lower area. Fever, diarrhea, etc. How dangerous is it for a kid not really sick with a vague belly ache? Just asking. Are you over reacting by going to the ER in the first place? Once you are there the docs may feel obligated to do all testing just to cover their asses.

22. lena

lena Rookie

Apr 18, 2013
    Are you really a doctor ? A ct scan means a lot more than flying across the country. It is about 2 msv for a CT scan, that represents many flights !

23. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    How would you have felt if you hadn't done the scan and he wound up with a ruptured appendix?

You did the right thing.

24. Soon...

Soon... Rookie

May 4, 2013
    I'm not a doctor but I have been involved in the field through my family. A CT scan should always be the last option, and doing a CT scan for a suspected case of appendicitis is a bit extreme.

This thread is old. To the OP, don't worry about it. Simply, reject any further CTs unless the doctor really insists, and ideally get a second opinion. Tell your kid that, when he is an adult, to reject CT scans unless absolutely neccesary. I'm telling you because I personally know about this and had a massive arguement with a doctor who wanted to do a CT scan that was totally unneeded.

Doctors like to CT scan for just about anything. Always last option, always!

25. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    About CT scans.

Last Saturday while cooking I had a sudden and terrible back pain that brought me to the floor in less than ten minutes. I was on the left side of my mid back, it went down towards the side. It got so bad fifteen minutes later that I called 911. The ambulance took 45 minutes to get me to the ER because of stop and go traffic and they wouldn't turn the lights nor siren on. Once there the Dr. said typical of a kidney stone and right away got me on morphine, (thank you Earth for the magical plant). The Doc. said lets due x-rays and a ct-scan, but right away I said that I didn't want the extra radiation. This young Dr. didn't insist and said "ok, how about an ultrasound, x-rays and urine sample?" I replied, perfect. And he replied, "good call on rejecting that CT" A second young Dr. came in much later at night and said to me, "I agree with you on rejecting a CT in this case." I was surprised by their comments, no pushy behavior. Tonight I still feel pain and my visit with an urologist will be next Thursday.

I've experienced pain in my life, but I rather combined all of those simultaneously before going through the single pain of passing a kidney stone. No words can describe it, how something smaller than a tiny sesame seed beat me down.