Question about burn rate on treadmill | FerrariChat

Question about burn rate on treadmill

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by amenasce, Sep 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I was wondering which is the most effective way to burn calories and if there is a difference between the same amount of calories burn but through different workouts or different time spent.

So i usually do cardio on the treadmill. Depending on how tired or not i will either run or walk.

If i run, it's usually at around 7mi. I ll burn around 550 cals over 35mns
    If i walk, i usually walk at around 3.5/4.0 miles but at a 15% incline. And that will also burn around 550 cals over 35 mns.

I do feel like much more tired after running BUT i do feel my belly getting thinner faster.

Does that make sense?

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you are talking about burning calories, but I think more important to burn fat. your optimum fat burn is at a little lower heart rate (about 70% of max). so if you have the time the workout will be longer and you will burn similar calories as a shorter more intense workout, but you get more fat burn. this is a reason why cycling can be such a good fat burn workout, you can maintain that lower HR for a long time. jogging is a great workout, but easy to get above the fat burn range. all in all you should have diversity within your workouts through the week. different lengths, different intensities, and mix up what you are doing to hit up more muscles. my running week includes long and slow, short intensity, medium threshold, and then just base miles.

https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/fat-burning-heart-rate#chart-by-age

3. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So ideally i should do a mix of running for 35mns twice a week and walking twice a week at 3.5/4.0 mph @ 15% but for 45/55mns?

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    figure or estimate your max HR, then a couple workouts a week maintain in that 70% range, maybe treadmill walking incline? It is hard to even hit 70% just walking, incline might get you there though. running will be good for you too for the pure fitness, which you get with the 70-90% HR. the key on jogging is be careful to work into it slowly and don't hurt yourself before your body adapts. pretty common injuries people just starting out they go too hard, too far, too soon.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    You should always mix your workouts, running, walking, biking, stairs, high intensity weights and heavier weights for optimum results. Most importantly know that you cant out work a poor diet if you want to be leaner. Dont be afraid to try different things and know your body adjusts if you do the same thing over and over again.

amenasce likes this.
  6. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes. The diet is really my weak point. I have eaten so poorly since this covid thing started.
    I absolutely need to get my diet under control.