Quacky idea | FerrariChat

Quacky idea

Discussion in 'F1' started by spirot, Jun 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I subscribe to F-1.com and see all its attempts at building up F-1's social media presence... which I think is good, but also does not attract the Stalwarts of the sport... however I do like the F-1 Archive where you can watch old races going back to the 70s. so that got me thinking/ wondering... with all the esports going on, what if F-1 were to put together a GOAT championship. This is what I'm thinking:

1. Virtual races using current cars but all former living F-1 Champions, and ex F-1 drivers who have been retired for 10 years or more.
    2. Virtual championship with current drivers using vintage F-1 cars, on vintage tracks.
    3. Championship finale, at the last race of the year between the top 6 former racers, and current racers...
    4. Show all races on TV prior to qualifying on F-1 weekends. ( hold the races the week before an actual F-1 race.

each year there is a crowning of Virtual GOAT F-1 champion. I'd like to see Stewart, race Fittipaldi, vs. Sheckter, vs. Villeneuve, vs Andretti, vs. Hill etc... perhaps the live races can be subscribed to raise money for charity.... in the host country? Ideally they could have or use the sim systems the teams use so that the times are representative of actual cars... they can base it at Biggin Hill UK F-1 base. I guess thinking it all the way out you could have the modern teams sign up "classic drivers" and they supply the sim car... with marketing etc .... who would sign up Stewart? or Prost? etc...

would this be interesting at all? to me yes, so I figured I'd ask.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Their first hurdle is their connection with Codemasters (now EA) having the exclusive license to an F1 game and insist on making it very arcade. A couple of F1 drivers that are known to simrace do not play it at all, even in the ''official'' races that F1 held last year.

Also, some drivers don't use sims at all so this puts them again at a big disadvantage.

Several F1 drivers do race in decent sims and for all to see, notably Max and Lando do a lot of iracing competitions and drive for Team Redline, where we can see their talents against the mere mortals (the guys they race against are all highly skilled that put many hours in their sims, to be put amongs the likes of Lando/Max in a ''split'' requires a very high rating level on iRacing. Fernando Alonso is also seen quite often on iracing driving anything from MX5's to LMPs.

SPEEDCORE likes this.
  3. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I was following some of the Indy guys racing NASCAR people in one of the series and although I thought it might be very entertaining in the midst of Covid non-racing, I got bored quickly. As Bas mentions, it became readily apparent there were SIM ringers that had the measure of actual pro drivers. After a few minutes my interest was heading towards a cliff.

Maybe I’m spoiled by the sight of Alesi in an actual historic. Short of that, it would be a tough sell.

SPEEDCORE and Bas like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep. Big problem with watching sim racing is you can very easily do it yourself. So long you got a half decent computer, just buy a wheel with pedals (200 USD for decent entry level), a game and erm...yeah log on and go racing. It's way more accessible than even the lowest level of car racing.

I watch a little bit (<10 minutes of highlights maybe), but I wouldn't actually tune in on proper races. The aussie supercar guys where featured properly on TV here, had a whole show around it, showed the drivers with webcams etc on them, they could talk to whoever they where racing against...whilst it was quite interesting to see their reactions and whatever, it does bore quite quickly. They, Max and Lando as well do take their sim racing very serious but even that fails to capture me like real racing does. I've seen bits of the stuff F1 ''organized'' last year and it was a ****ing joke. Drivers intentionally hitting each other and ''completing'' impossible moves by using the other as a cornering aid, and laughing about it...well it takes away from the immersion quite a lot.

SPEEDCORE and Isobel like this.
  5. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    It could work as a one time only special event. Drivers aren't going to go out of their way to do weekly racing events for charity they would want to be paid just like all the other e-sports competitors.

Most people that watch streams are happy to see Norris playing Uno as they are seeing him racing sims. It's his personally, the banter and interaction that most people like watching.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1052060318

Bas and 375+ like this.