Probably time for the car to change hands | FerrariChat

Probably time for the car to change hands

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308 milano, Aug 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Something happened this year, can’t really put my finger on it. Perhaps me turning 60? Certainly my grueling work/travel schedule has taken a toll..Love the 308 but somehow it just kind of lost its magic this year. So many other issues when I’m home need my attention . So just wanted to give a heads up who may be looking for a Euro Quattrovalovle. Owned a few Porsche 911 air cooled before the multiple 308‘s and really think I’d rather get another to finish out my sports car ownership. Something not so temperamental from sitting that I can come home on days off, pull out of the garage and take the 12 miles into town for coffee in the morning. Something I would enjoy without the flashiness LOL would even consider a trade for a non-red 3.2 coupe.( No targa/cabriolets please) I think crowndogs thread brought to light that Ferrari ownership has probably run its course. Thanks all! :)

Crowndog and Texas Forever like this.
  2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Something happened this year, can’t really put my finger on it. Perhaps me turning 60?"

Nah, interests change. I think that's the way of things!

I was an avid photographer for many years. I was not a professional but sold a few images. Five/six years ago I lost interest; I don't do it anymore. Same with boating. Bought my first boat at age 22 - sold my last boat two years ago and haven't looked back - no interest in boating any more...been there, done that, have the T-shirt (and the sweat shirt, and the wind breaker, and the hoodie, and the rain jacket). Haven't missed it for a second! :)

OTOH, I've purchased "my last motorcycle" four times in the past 10 years, most recently a '19 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe. So I haven't lost interest in that yet. Heck, agewise I have a ways to go. Earlier this year an 80 year-old who I know rode solo from Mexico up the continental divide to Canada and back. Two years ago he rode his '73 Norton Commando from central Mexico to the east coast of Canada and back. My point is that I don't think "age" per se, is a factor. Interests change just because, well...because interests change!

So...if you have lost interest in the Ferrari I'd suggest it's simply because you've lost interest not because you are 60 years old! Admittedly, there ARE things that you aren't able to do because of age. For example, there are no 60 year old NFL players...well, at the moment. We'll have to wait and see about Tom Brady! :)

Anyway, good luck with the sale of your 308 and your progress to a new interest!

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thanks Mike. Yes, I doubt it has anything to do with turning 60. I’ve just noticed last few months that when I come home and see it in the garage instead of thinking wow! I think great, another project. Have to start it every couple weeks to make sure it’s running correctly and that entails me rolling it out of the garage jacking it up and letting it run for 20 or 30 minutes rowing through the gears. Our wonderful California neighbors decided to tear up the main road couple years ago, this after we put $10,000 into it so in order for me to Drive the car I need to trailer it down to the highway. Guess the Californians decided the roadway needed to be twice as wide in case any of us decide to buy a twin engine Cessna and land it on a gravel road. My Porsche , didn’t think twice about taking them down a subpar gravel road. Seemed much more robust and forgiving. Not trying to dis the 308 as it’s a wonderful car just seems that with my time restraints the Porsche would be much easier to live with. n Image Unavailable, Please Login

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Go test drive a new Cayman. It will turn your head around.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tomc and 308 milano like this.
  5. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    this is a subject that I also can’t get my head around wife asked me if I want a new pick up as my Chevy just rolled over 200,000 miles. Told her “ I don’t need a new pick up“ where the hell did that come from? And who says that? :)
    Some reason and 84-87 911 ticks all of the boxes for me.

ScottS likes this.
  6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I got a Cayman loaner while my Cayenne was in the shop. I put a thousand miles of back roads driving on the car in ten days. Plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

308 milano likes this.
  7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I am keeping my cars but I have found myself undoing all the **** I did to them when I was in my 20's. For example, sitting 10 feet from me to my left this moment is a box of stock springs and as close to stock non-gas shocks for my little 82 Alfa Spider. The Ward and Dean suspension was cool to me 25 years ago. Not any more.

So I get it.

mike996, 308 milano and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    BTW, thanks for the reference to the Kawa. Interesting bike.

9. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Totally understand that. Check out the 911 forums and find someone there who is looking on the other side of the fence at 308s and trade. That’s ultimately what I did. Good luck it’s truly been a great ride.
    Including the factory visit years ago. Wonder if anything interesting is going on in Germany at the Porsche factory?

308 milano likes this.
  10. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I’ve noticed that the pandemic has put things into perspective a bit. What my friends and I talk about, what I think is important and worth my time... I also find the crawling under, contortionist bending, and bleeding knuckles less appealing for some reason...

308 milano likes this.
  11. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Had an F- chat buddy email me yesterday (thank you Sam) and in a very polite way told me to think long and hard on letting the car go. Spoke with two used car dealers yesterday about 911’s they had in inventory. What I took away from the conversation is used car dealers will always be used car dealers. Today I decided after cutting the front lawns that I was going to pull the Ferrari out instead of making it always the very last priority. Connected the battery, instantly started up so I rolled it out of the garage then jacked it up and ran it for 35 minutes. Ran smooth as glass and put a very big smile on my face. It’s not going anywhere. Think I’m just beat down from continuous travel, working 102 hours every other week and quite honestly the negativity that all of us are inundated with daily. Good to be a Ferrari owner! :) Thanks all for letting me vent.

Dane, TBigs, Dinzo22 and 3 others like this.
  12. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    Awesome news!!

308 milano likes this.
  13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Kim, I’m so happy about your decision and you will not get that big smile from P car. :)

Dane and 308 milano like this.
  14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    That has got to grind a person down. We are living in a weird weird time. It will pass. Please take care of yourself.

Dane and 308 milano like this.
  15. detroiter

detroiter Karting

Apr 30, 2013
    Munich, Bayern
    Full Name:
    Carter
    Well I keep thinking about letting the 308 and the 911 go... and my motorcycle... and instead buying a Renault R4 and a VW squareback.

Well, I still have the sports cars... can’t bring myself to let them go yet. :)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

308 milano likes this.