Predicted FF bottom for early used ones? | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Predicted FF bottom for early used ones?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by KY _Soldier, Feb 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I've got my audio guys working on retrofitting the nav to my ff

2. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    #427 [gTr], Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    It is the most elegant modern interior that I have seen in any car! The way they have incorporated the giant screen and the passenger display into the dash is brilliant.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I like a more spartan cockpit, which is why I love my previous generation 911 compared to current generation Porsches. Too many buttons & such. The Lusso interior has been upgraded very nicely. It's got more of what you'd want, without being overly cluttered...T

4. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Agreed. I kind of was planning to get an FF but now would rather skip it and get a 2-3 year old Lusso, still enjoying the manual 612... I would rather spend the money to upgrade my 09 California to a 2014 Cali 30 (with CarPlay?).

5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Certainly!...And I am one of those potential buyers. I would like to pick up one with at least 30K-40K miles or more with the hope that all the kinks would have been ironed out. Moreover, I easily logged around 12K-15K miles easily a year even though I only drive the car 5-6 times a month.

6. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    So you can pay for a brake job at 50k?

Kinks are worked out in any 3 year old car with over 10k miles.

7. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach

8. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Lots of heavy 4000+lbs cars nowadays that aren't meant for the track have CCB, ie AMG's. It's probably just the trendy "in" thing to have at this moment. On the other hand, the rotor will likely last you a lifetime if you don't track or abuse the car.

So the recommended brake job service interval is every 50K miles? Is it just a brake pads change and brake system flush?...Sure can't imagine it to be overly costly with just that. How much does it cost to pay out of pocket at a dealer? What about at an indy?

9. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin

10. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    If you require a new rotor it is not a warranty or maintenance item and they only change them in pairs and they also require new pads. I don't know what they cost today but when I raced in the Challenge we went through a couple of sets of both front and rear in a season of racing and testing. FNA sold us the parts at a discounted racer price and they still were a fortune. I wouldn't doubt you could spend big bucks. Anyone know the current cost?

11. Replevin

Replevin Karting

Oct 29, 2014
    Washington, DC
    Could someone please post any recent Mannheim or other auction prices? Thanks.

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Can you handle the truth? Do you really want to know? The bottom is $90K and that's optimistic. I know you don't want to hear that, but anybody who thinks these cars are an investment is doing serious drugs.

If you own one, enjoy it. If you don't have the money to buy one, move on.

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Dang, I hope you're right. I'd easily live with replacing ceramic brakes at that price. That's a lot of V12, AWD, Ferrari awesomeness for the price...T

14. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Yup, checked all the boxes of what I need in a car. For a cup car, I'll look to Pcar's GT3/GT4.

Wow, that's close to a 3rd of the car's msrp. They are made by Brembo and I wonder why similar Brembo CCB parts are much cheaper for other cars, ie AMG's. Obviously, it goes without saying that everything spec'ed under the Cavallino Rampante just had to be higher than most of the other makers.

It shouldn't be difficult to get an aftermarket brake company to custom fabricate steel rotors to be put on along with appropriate pads for the track days.

15. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I can't see these cars hitting 90k no way no how.. You see, when the rest of the range/market goes up, a modern fantastic car will not follow price trends of 5 years ago, 10 years ago. Look at the 991 turbo s, gt3... They are not getting anywhere near what turbos and gt3's dropped to years ago because the older cars have went up so much in value, so it kind of balances it out from what I see now and experience with past and modern cars now, IMO of course

As for the ceramic rotors I'm assuming they are around 7k a piece?
    People however have used the corvette zr1 ceramics that are apparently the same exact rotors for 1500-2000 a piece?

Any track guy/racer will tell you however there is no point in running ceramics on the track, ever. I took the ceramics off my gt2 and ran a custom steel set and 3 piece rears, I then went to slotted from drilled and they lasted even longer. As long as you have the proper cooling, fluids pads and overall setup, steel rotors can be as good or better than any ceramic rotor (except for unsprung weight/rotational mass) on my cup car I even swapped out the gt3 cup steel rotors for alternatives as they were much better, the factor pmna drilled rotors def wore a bit fast
    Porsche pccb rotors I believe also are about 6k a piece , maybe prices have come down

And I agree my preference for track weapons are Porsche

My RUF Gt2 street car I logged 50k miles on and over 20k track miles
    Engine leak down was fine, just had to rebuild shocks/diff/second gear and little refreshers

If anyone wants steel rotors recommendation Lmk. Off the top of my head Alcon, girodisc, pfc and of course brembo makes steels

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think some may be talking at 90 degree angles here.

Is the $90K the proposed total car price, or price to replace the FF brakes? I assumed the former, given the current costs of 2012 FFs, the debut of the GTC, and the historically sharp depreciation in 2+2 Ferrari prices. If the latter, yikes-a-hooty! I can get another 997.2S Porsche for that much, and I would.

Is the 50K mentioned earlier, the miles for the service interval for brake service on an FF? Or, the cost of replacing the ceramic brakes?

Thanks for insight...T

17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Thanks for the infos on steel rotors options. Indeed, steel rotors are comparable to CCB except for weight/mass.

It's me who got confused LOL. I got confused and thought the $90K being the cost to replace the brakes. That amount for the brakes would be highly unlikely. $90K for brake service on a Bugatti/LF/P1/918...maybe, but still sounds high.

18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    has anyone actually done the brakes on an FF? is the price accurate or is it urban legend?

19. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    #444 996TTurbo, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Haven't heard of anyone replacing the ceramics on an FF, or F12... On the 458 yes

On mclaren forums people have also talked about replacements, and it seems as if the ZR1 ceramic rotors were a replacement for Ferrari and McLaren for a fraction of the price

Again the prices are like 6-8k a rotor for front and I think 6k rears for oem

I dont think you get much info here because the guys really don't track their machines

The mclaren guys like porsche guys always talk about different setups for their track days, so not as common on here

A company "sicom" can resurface ceramic rotors

And Movit brake company has developed an amazing ceramic composite rotor setup for mclaren and custom for any high performance machine...

I hope we are allowed to link
    Carbon ceramic brakes discs - McLaren Life
    read about the wear/failure and options :)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/317111-%2438-000-pads-rotors.html

20. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Are the diameter comparable between ZR1 rotors and Ferrari, McLaren, etc? Does Brembo make the ceramic rotors for ZR1? I'll need to read through those two links...