Predator / XoV concept | FerrariChat

Predator / XoV concept

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by BT, Mar 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #1 BT, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, this project is about three years old at this point, but my intention is to do whatever to get it done in the next 6 months. Designed and fabricated by a friend in Kentucky, the project was purchased in February 2010 and quickly put on hold to make a different prototype car...

Anyway, I am guessing this XoV is going to be more for show than go, but I am hoping to enjoy using it in the mountains occasionally.

:)
    BT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very Cool! What motor etc. When you say mountains do you mean hill climb?

3. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    Nice!

have I seen this on locostusa forum? looks like it'll great fun once complete!

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    looks like a great project
    anxious to see the finished car

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #5 BT, Mar 20, 2013
    Yeah, it was on locostusa forums when the fabricator started it. I think I am going to try and go up to KY and pick it up next week.

As far as the engine, etc...

The original plan:
    A 2008 Yamaha R1 engine / trans with a chain drive to a jackshaft then a final chain drive to the rear wheel / sprocket. The rear wheel originally purchased was a FR500 with a 315/35-17 tire (the one in the pic here is a 15" drag radial). Dual fuel tanks behind the driver's seat, and oil coolers in the side pods.

The revised plan:
    A back half of a 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 (about the same torque as the R1 but lower hp / redline). Skip the jackshaft, seperate fuel tanks, oil coolers, radiator, etc... I am going to have a maximum 205/45-17 rear tire but plan on getting a Toyo R888 or similar sticky tire for that end.

Why the change? Well, life gets in the way sometimes. I am going to register this thing in Georgia, and the original one would never get the green light. Plan 'B' allows me to register the bike and just consider this a trike conversion. The fabricator is struggling a bit and I know in all likelihood that he won't ever really have time to finish the trike as we planned either. He is a great guy, and a really talented mechanic / fabricator, but I just don't see the project getting completed any other way. I have done some sketching and I think the vehicle will look awesome when it is done (after I modify the seat area and do a little extra rear bodywork). The goal for now is to finish it and get it on the road before the next cold season.

The front end uses Mustang II spindles, Porsche 911 steering rack, Wilwood brakes / pedals, and a custom anti-sway bar setup, and inboard Yamaha R1 shocks. A sequential shifter is still part of the plan.

The fabricator objects to using a motorcycle back half because the axle bearings aren't designed for the twisting load they will see, but I am going to see how it works out.

BT

6. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    well it's coming along great there, the tire has enough side wall for deflection so you're probably safe with the axle bearings, it'll be great to see it on the open road! :)

7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 msdesignltd, Mar 21, 2013
    Upon initial inspection..I said, its just an ariel atom chopped and re welded..

But then its obvious to see, your rear is a swingarm..and vertical diagonal cross braces are purpose built....

Nice work by Fabricator..although a nod must have gone to Ariel for inspiration..or did you have it first??

Or then again, is it originally an Ariel chassis..?????

8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Nik Smart was first with the exposed frame roadster concept that went on to become the Arial Atom. I believe the design project by Nik was done in 1996. This was inspired by that style of design but is not anywhere close to the atom in any other respect. This is the third reverse trike the fabricator made, and is by far the best looking one to come from his shop in.my opinion. I am going to KY to pick the project in process up Monday. Yahoo!

BT

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    What are reverse Trikes like to drive?

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I don't really know. The mystery should be solved in about four months though hopefully. From what I have seen and read they feel just like a 4 wheel car, but when they break loose uncontrollable oversteer is the most common result. This one has a longer wheelbase so hopefully it won't have as much of an issue with that, but we will see.
    BT

11. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    this is Tiff driving the T-Rex, it's wheelbase is quite a bit shorter then yours though ...the wider the front track, the better the stability too

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOsYo9Sv43E]Fifth Gear Reviews the Campagna T Rex 1400RR - www.IanBrown.cc - YouTube[/ame]

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Yes the track on my vehicle is very wide. We have 66" hub face to hub face and with low offset wheels we are about 74" to the outside of the front tires. If I remember correctly my dads 86 TR was 77" to the outside of the rear tires. It impressed me as a very wide car.

I just got back from picking the project up. Lots of snow and wind that wasn't much fun to drive through...

BT

13. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    nice!
    I've always liked the idea, but of a 4 wheel lightweight, much closer to a bike, and leaner (with proper designed suspension for that, not car like), but the govn't loophole that allows trikes works against me for that?!

here's hoping you'll be able to get it running & out this summer!

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    How's this thing coming?