Powerchip for 89 Mondial t: Opinions? | FerrariChat

Powerchip for 89 Mondial t: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by buzzm2005, Dec 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I verified that I have the correct ECUs for a chip from www.powerchipgroup.com for my 89 Mondial t.

I know a fellow fchatter (jmg) has this chip and loves it, particularly for the torque improvement in the 2000-3000 rpm range, which is important for urban-centric folks like me.

My motor just had a 30K major service (at 17K miles) and is humming fine. New plugs with factory gapping.

Anyone care to opine on this chip in a 348 drivetrain? It's basically a 93-octane optimized map with some amount of timing advance.

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The idea of a chip upgrade is fine, however, keep in mind that to optimize the settings of a naturally aspirated performance engine (one that is already optimized from the factory) you need remove most all of the built-in protection that the factory settings may offer.

Just keep that in mind. Its not a huge deal breaker, but should be factored into the mod.

I have used lots of chips (mostly on forced induction cars), and I find that a 9-14 HP gain on a naturally aspirated car may not be worth the lost protection.

3. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    As I understand it, the Powerchip maps are designed around assuming you're always running 93 or higher octane fuel and therefore can advance the timing. It is assumed that the knock sensors will tell the ECU to retard timing should for some reason you must put 87 octane in the tank. I am unsure about what you mean by "removing all the built-in protection." I interpret this as something I must physically disable/remove.

And I'm actually doing it for the torque, not the HP. I completely agree that it really isn't worth it for some HP at the high end. Buyers of this chip have claimed that the power band is widened at the low end. Not much, mind you, but noticable.

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The Dimex system (new ecu's, new fuel mapping, no cats, gas flowed heads/polished valves) has a dyno test supporting 365 hp on Fchatter Kenyon's 348 http://70.85.40.84/~ferrari/discus/messages/256120/206770.html .

The 348 Competizione models were shipped from the factory with 360 hp without much more than a fuel mapping change.

Fchatter JJstecher uses the powerchips on his 348 and reports 354 hp (no cats, tubi exhaust, 95 octane fuel, K&N air filter).

Fchatter Ingenere also runs the aftermarket chips in his 348.

The CCC chip ( http://www.ccctech.co.uk/chiptuning.php?make=Ferrari ) claims 326 to 346 hp, based on your model of 348/Mondial T.

5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sorry man, your Mondial T does not have knock sensors.

Motronic is easy to understand. Read up on the Motronic 2.5 & the later 2.7 Motronic versions. Its interesting reading & helpful for when you will want to tune it or repair it in the future.

Actually, I said "most all of" that protection. Commonly chip makers will just lean out the fuel mixture to make power, then crank up the distributor advance to boot. Both will be set well past factory settings. Either of those can be serious to the engine health if applied incorrectly. I am not trying to talk you out of the mod, just letting you know some details. As noted before, nothing wrong with chip upgrades, they just have limitations, and may not be perfect for every vehicle.

Excellent. Torque wins races, HP just sells cars. Enjoy your Mondial T. Keep us in the loop with how the mods go.

6. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    My bad. You're right. I was looking at a 2.5 pinout spec. Pin 11 is the knock sensor input, but the 348/t motor doesn't provide this input.

Looks like I'm wedded to 93-94 octane. Not a problem.

7. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  8. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Powerchip wants more than just the controller part # (e.g. 0 261 200 190); they also need the serial number on the label on top of the socketed chip. After opening it and giving them the number, they told me that in fact they do not have this particular version in their database and I will have to send them the chips. Apparently they do this so that any additional programming away from their maps will not be lost, as their strategy is to first dump my chip, incorporate their maps, and burn a new chip. Seems like the safest route.

9. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Hey Buzz, I thought the chips are P&P & same for 348/T? I had them in my '90 348 but removed them when I did my 30Kmajor recently. I'll plug them back again to see the difference. I thought it had more torque in the lower rpm but I'll confirm again.

10. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    They "should be." I thought I was getting into a straightforward P&P execution but Powerchip said send the old chips so.... Better for them to be as sure as possible about it.

11. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    They want to disable your car until they sort it out, or they volunteered stock chips in advance to keep you running?

12. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I didn't get the chance to discuss that. The company takes a 2 week holiday starting last Friday so I'll pick this up with them in 2 weeks or so. The "round trip chip" scenario is commonplace for newer chips where the VIN and other info is burned into each individual chip so they're used to dealing with quick turnaround.

I hope.

13. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Buzz whats your chips number? I have my old 348 ones laying around here and will take a look and see if they match up with your chips.

I cant believe this is such a pain for ya...It shouldn't require sending in the chips as the motronic chips of the 2.7 unit are pretty damn simple.

14. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    The label applied to the chip reads: 1267356115

15. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Mine from the 1990 348 with Motronic 2.7 are 1267356410. I would believe these are from the same batch as your chips meaning that it would be swapable with with PowerChip sold me. But if they want to take the safe route thats ok. Only issue I see is that if they burn your chips with a new map you have no way of reverting to the old chips without having them reburned again.

16. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

John -

Until I saw your name associated with this PowerChip performance issue, I would have thought they were all snake-oil. But if you're saying you had noticeable (dyno'd?) performance gains, I'd love to hear more. How long have you had them in the car? Apart from sending the chips in, is the installation really plug-n-play? Do you notice throttle response differences? Where? Low end? High end?

If your hands aren't deep in that gearbox, I'm all ears...

Best,
    Daniel

17. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
  18. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Daniel - Well my gearbox has now turned into the suspension being taken apart and shipped off to DeltaVee for a race rebuild as well so needless to say I have been busy. The tranny is coming back together and just about done but I figured well the car was up and apart I might as well do the whole deal.

As far as the PowerChips go I have been a believer in different ECU mappings for a while due mainly to my experience with turbo cars and the fact that the ECU's can control waste gates, and some other nifty things there beyond A/F. In a NA car like the 348 all you can really play with is timing and A/F which is what the PowerChips do.

As far as what do I notice (well what I remember noticing since I have had them in my car for two years now I believe) is that throttle response was better in the midrange but actually appeared to suffer slightly at off idle. My A/F went up at idle to running richer than the stock ECU by about 0.5 but didn't contribute to any wash down in the piston walls so I was ok with it. The real place that I noticed the chips difference the most was on a tight track that we run here in the midwest. In back to back weekends with nothing changing on the car beyond the chips I was 1.1-1.3 seconds faster a lap and I could feel the difference coming out of a series of increasing/decreasing radius turns which were mainly part to max throttle pulling from 4500-5000RPMs to redline. Needless to say I was happy with the chips and havent thought about them much since putting them in.

Lastly my chips from them were just drop in replacements for the ones in the car which I still have sitting in my Ferrari parts storage area. I think for your car Daniel you might just be like me and be able to drop them right in.

Milage may vary but for me they have worked well on both the dyno and track.

19. Nick

Nick Formula Junior
    Sponsor Professional Ferrari Technician

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    The POWERCHIPS work very well, have sold many & EVERY ONE of my customers have been very happy. There is also a money back guarantee if not satisfied, less shipping & handling. I have yet to have one come back, I have been selling their products for over 4 years now.

20. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Any big sales price breaks in the forseeable future?

21. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Been up to my ears are work myself but I can confirm seat of the pants gains when using the Powerchip. I know I should have dyno'd before I put them in to share real numbers but I can confirm that my biggest complaint about the power in the T Cab was in the 27-3300 range. The engine always seemed to stumble a bit there...not in the bad fuel sense but just a bit of a delay to really get on cam and jump up the rev range. This is a very common range on the street so it was a real pain. (On the track...well, you just stay above it.) After the PC install, this has completely disappeared and the engine simply revs straight up to redline. My T Cab is my daily so I experience it in all types of conditions.

I did have to send the ECUs in but they were returned along with the other chips. So, painless to take out and reinstall but the ECUs were the easy part, I never actually looked into the chip swap.

I think I noticed something in the thread about 93 octane but the PC folks will map it to whatever you fill your engine with. Since I always run Shell V-Power, it was pretty easy to give them the specs and stick to it.

As for Nick, had I known he was a PC dealer I would have picked it up through him as he has always treated me and my local mechanic well in the past.

Thanks,
    JMG aka TCab

22. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Having gotten a recommendation for a nearby dyno shop (thanks Rob, Ferretti) and set up an appointment for Friday, I must now determine the correct gear in which to do the pull. According the people at the shop, it should be the gear closest to 1:1. On the 1989 Mondi t, that's 4th gear (.914), not 5th (1.161). Do I have to worry about or factor in spur and/or helical pinion gears?
    Spur gear ratio: 25 / 27
    Helical pinion ratio: 19 /20

Any advice or direction is most appreciate. Dyno graphs will of course be posted here.

BTW, I looked up the 348 gearbox info in the manuals for grins. The spur gear ratio is NOT the same as the Mondi t:
    1989 348 TS: Spur ratio: 26 / 27

And in 1994 it changed again; spur shrank (better acceleration) and 5th gear got longer (high top speed):
    1994 348 TS: Spur ratio: 25 / 29 ; 5th gear: 1.193

23. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The dyno that I used had no way of knowing what was showing up on your tach/speedometer (i.e. for a speed vs load calculation). It just reported how much force you put down on the dyno wheels.

Of course, there are lots of different types of dynos.

But if the dyno is simply measuring your force output, then you want whatever gear that will put out maximum force.

...which is not always your top gear. On the street/track, some cars are faster in 4th than in 5th, or faster in 5th than in 6th (e.g. when their top gear is really an overdrive rather than a race gear).

If your top gear is above 1:1, but reasonably close, then that's probably the gear that you want for a raw output type dyno.

In reality, your engine can hit max horsepower in 1st gear, or 2nd gear, or any gear (except an overdrive), but not all dyno's can measure engine torque times engine RPM (the correct calculation for horsepower). Some just measure raw output (which means that your final drive ratio matters, among other things).

But you don't have to overthink things. Just stand on the accelerator, run through the gears, and note which gear gives you your highest indicated speed on your speedometer. That's your max (horse) power output. Less horsepower means lower (indicated) top speed.

24. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Having committed to getting the Powerchips, I dyno'd the car and will be following up on that thread in the Tech Q/A forum. The "before" graphs are posted there. Thanks to all who offered help here.