Powerchip...does it work or a waste of money? | FerrariChat

Powerchip...does it work or a waste of money?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Fiorano1, Dec 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fiorano1

Fiorano1 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    Coral Springs, FL
    Full Name:
    Haywood Jabloemi
    I have been checking out the Powerchip and was wondering if any of you have either purchased and installed one in your car, or know of someone who has and what kind of results were realized.

I noticed that one of the site sponsor/advertiser's (Forza Ferrari) has them advertised on thier website and claim an add of around 20 hp and an increase in torque of 13 lb.-ft. The Powerchip website is charging $3980 for a F360 chip plus additional charges for shipping, handling, and installation.

Feedback on the above would be great.

2. bentasm1

bentasm1 Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    20hp for $4000?

Screw that! Another $200 per horse, assuming their numbers are even accurate.

-Ben

3. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Tom - Can't comment on using one on a FCar because I would think the system is optimized right out of the box.

However, I did buy one about 2 months ago for my Explorer with a 5.0 Mustang motor.

I was going to be towing a trailer through the hills and wanted a little more punch. I'm a firm believer in SuperChip now.

Basically, it's not a chip - but re-maps your current computer. Just plug it in and you can select 3 settings (low med hi). Takes less than 5 minutes. On mine, I opted to increase torque. It also allows you to change shift points, rev limiter, shift pressure and compensate of you alter tire size.

You can go back and change settings or go back to stock as often as you like. Also, you can use it on any other car to read code errors and reset check engine light. But you can only "program" the orignal vehicle because it records the VIN on the first use. After first use it can clear and read any other cars you have.

I would guesstimate about 20-30 hp increase...but more importantly much more torque and pulled my trailer without a hick up. Very Satisfied.

4. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    ps - The powerchip is Way too much money for the HP gain IMHO

5. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    If you want a performance increase buy yourself BREMBO brakes on the front and you will do a lot better on lap times on the track. Otherwise I don''t see where you need the extra horses on the road. It is basically a 13HP ego boost. The $4000 would be better spend in a driving school or as I said in brake upgrade.

6. Fiorano1

Fiorano1 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    Coral Springs, FL
    Full Name:
    Haywood Jabloemi
    Martin,

Thanks for the suggestion on the brakes but what I am looking for is a mod or upgrade to increase overall horsepower and preformance. Based on my research, there aren't many options if any available to get this puppy much over the 400hp mark.

Any suggestions?

7. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Tom:

again I can not see why you think that you need more HP! If you want to make the car faster put bigger brakes on. If you sleep better knowing you have 13 more HP than the other guy in his 360 then by all means shell over $ 4000.
    The HP on the car are more than sufficient.

Here is one sure improvement:

Send the engine to Michelotto in Italy and get it back with 500HP at a cost of $ 65,000 That is $ 650/HP. Actually thinking about it you get a new engine from them at $ 65,000, so you have a spare engine for which I have a buyer at $10,000, so it is only $ 55,000.

Also:

Koenig in Germany probably have a Turbo kit for the car. They manage to bastardize every Ferrari!

8. Fiorano1

Fiorano1 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    Coral Springs, FL
    Full Name:
    Haywood Jabloemi
    Martin,

Rather then spending that kind of money for a new engine, I may as well grease someone $50K to get a new F430 Spyder that has close to the same horsepower.

I was unaware that there was even a turbo kit available as I have checked some of the usual suspect companies and have found nothing. I will take a look at Keonig.

9. Fiorano1

Fiorano1 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    Coral Springs, FL
    Full Name:
    Haywood Jabloemi
    I just checked the Keonig website and they are quoting what appears to be 42,000 Euros for the conversion kit. Hell......that's even more expensive than the first alternative of getting a new engine from Michelotto in Italy.....

10. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    I'm not sure where that company came up with the $4k figure? That's outrageous!

I was doing the performance chips for a while(can still do one for you), and I assure you the cost is way less than half of $4k(more like $1600 or so depending on the car). The horsepower increase is accurate, however, what makes them neat is that you increase not just peak horsepower, but low and mid range, giving you more area under the dyno curve. I'm not sure of actual track times, but it seems that if you are driving the car to its limit now, that you could increase your times a smidge. Martin is right though, larger brakes are also great for bettering track times. The Ferrari's are pretty much "high-strung" out of the box which makes finding upgrades for the cars more expensive. Although, not many people I know can drive a 360 on the edge of its performance and crave more.

HTH.

[email protected]

-DC

11. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.

Ain't that the tooth!

The friggn 360Challenge scares me outright! It can snap on you in a heartbeat!
    Here is actually what I would recommend:

1. put a wing on the car
    2. some more downforce with improved underbody tray.
    3. front GT spoiler for front downforce
    4. bigger brakes at least in the front.

after all that, then you look for more umpf!

12. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    oh I forgot and better suspension. Challenge shocks and springs. Maybe a sway bar.

13. Nick

Nick Formula Junior
    Sponsor Professional Ferrari Technician

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    Hi, I am a authorized POWERCHIP development partner & re seller & what I can tell you with POWERCHIP is that you do have a a 14 day grace period, if for some reason you are not satisfied with the product you can return it for a full refund less shipping, handling & installation charges. The performance figures on my site are directly from POWERCHIP.
    http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/forzaferrariwebsite1_017.htm

Regards,Nick Scianna
    www.nicksforzaferrari.com
    Ferrari Chat's first & oldest running sponsor.

14. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I had no idea NIck you did power chips.

Now Tom if you consider buying ANY power chip then I can highly recommend that you deal with Nick! I mean at that moment I would not look any other place but Nick!

Nick knows his stuff and does it for a passion.

15. Nick

Nick Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    Hi Martin, thanks for the complement & a happy New Year to you & the rest of the Florida region. The Florida market has been very good for me & it is one of my biggest repeat business markets .

Any time us Ferrari owners are looking for performance its always a compromise, how much money for how much power. The newer Ferrari’s are really tweaked! I am sure that chip companies can make more power but at what long-term cost. I know with the POWERCHIP group that there is still a safety barrier for the engine, which to me is important. I can get ECU’S out of Europe that push the shift point for the 360 up to 9250 RPM! And will give you some 40 + HP. My question is how is the cars engine management system going to work under normal driving conditions? The POWERCHIP is designed for the street, if you read the specs on my website you can see its about part throttle driving etc. The specs on my site were just sent to me last month & are the most current avail at this time. Yes $4,000 IS BIG BUCKS FOR 20 hp. Please keep in mind that I have many customers that will spend $4,000 on a set of heads & maybe get 20 HP at the rear wheels on a 308 (Keep in mind all the labor for re assembly of the engine, gasket set etc.) The nice thing about the POWERCHIP is the extra torque is added in the driving range, which is where the client is looking for that little extra. There is no perfect solution for more power, but at least I can give the client an option for a few more ponies without butchering up the car. What I like about the POWERCHIP upgrade is that you have 14 days to make sure if you like it & you can still return it without loosing all of your investment. That to me is a sign of POWERCHIP’S commitment to pleasing the customer and that has always been my policy to give the client the best performance & safety for the money. I also do agree with Martin with respect to the brakes & suspension.
    Regards. Nick Scianna
    Ferrari Chat’s oldest running sponsor.

16. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    #16 Forza1, Jan 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Nick, What's the scoop with the dyno graphs on your powerchip .pdf files? Your horsepower and torque DON'T cross at 5252rpm. Care to explain?

-DC
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That's one screwy torque curve. I agree with Martin here, go for better brakes first. Carbon fiber sport seats will also shed a lot of weight, probably a good 60lbs or more.

18. Nick

Nick Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    You are correct they do not cross, they are not dyno jet sheets; they are comparisons between the HP figure curve or torque figure curve independently of each other. The graph is a comparison as if you were looking at the difference between OEM to POWERCHIP. I hope that makes sense. Those PDF files were made by the POWERCHIP group. Regards, Nick Scianna.