Please Help Me Find Chassis 21277 308 GTB | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Please Help Me Find Chassis 21277 308 GTB

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Oct 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    If it was mine I would sell it to him, lets wait and see what the present owner want to do.

2. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Whether the car changes hands or not, i would love to be there when Tommy sees the car again in person. THAT would be an F-chat meet I would travel for.

3. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Maybe FChat should do Toronto instead of Las Vegas if this works put.

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #54 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
    In all actuality, tell him not to worry about that right now. Up until yesterday I had no idea if it even existed anymore. Had I discovered it in a very bad state with an indifferent owner I would be twisting his arm off to sell before it was a write off basket case car. That's what has always worried me.

Now that I have found it and see that it is in good hands and is being very well cared for I am good. All I would respectfully request is that he keep me in mind and contact me first if he ever does decide to sell. I hope he would. Until then let him restore it and enjoy it. I am happy for him.

I'll take you and him out for some big fat steaks if I can fly up and get a ride in it when it's done, though :)

(I hope he got a big kick out of all this when you spoke to him today)

5. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Forget the steaks: treat them to some crowns to chew them with :D

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Hello Dr. Cosgrove, glad to hear you were able to learn where 21277 now resides!
    CH

7. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Great thread! I can't wait to hear back from the owner. I hope things work for you, Tommy.

8. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Congrats Dr. TC. This is really gratifying to read - can't wait for the pictures of you being reunited with 21277!

I love it when a mystery is solved on FChat.

9. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Wow, I just started reading this thread, and it is amazing. The most amazing part is how quickly and relatively easily you found out the car still exists and is being fully restored to its former splendor. I can't wait for the posting of the pictures of Dr. T, Rocco and the owner, together, with the car done, and Dr. T sitting in the drivers seat, replaying that wonderful day from 30 years ago when he first sat in it.

I love this place!!!!!! Doc, hope that you do get to see 21277 in person, again! And Rocco, keep those restoration pictures coming!

10. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    Great, Great, Thread. Makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Makes the world right if even for just a little while. If it were mine, I would certainly sell it to Doc considering the history. I will be thinking and sending positive vibes. GO DOC GO!! I wish I could find my Highland Green 1969 428 Cobra Jet Mach 1 Mustang I had in High School. Cal License ZRM428. (Just sayin')

11. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    fascinating story and I send along my best wishes to all of the parties involved. Keith

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Tommy is a WONDERFUL Ferrari 308 enthusiast and it has been my pleasure to know him and drive with him and ride with him for many years.

I think I was with him when he actually got to go behind the steering wheel and DRIVE his first Ferrari himself -- and it was on a racetrack. It might not have been the point of initiation for his love of the marque, but it was one of many along the way.

:)

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Mike, on a compassion level that has few equals, actually let me drive his 308 way back in the day. It was my first drive and HE actually offered. I still have those pictures too!

So Mike C has his place in my little personal history book right next to that yellow 308 here and Dr. Yu's car in Huntsville (my first ride & Mike knows that story well)

14. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Terrific story!

15. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008
    Nice restoration pics. I see marks of rust but i think nothing serious. Amazing car btw ;-) ;-)

16. Robert Pfeffle

Jul 18, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Robert Pfeffle
    Tommy - Awesome story and great pics! What an amazing thread you initiated! Keep us updated. Hope all is well - Bob

17. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    Congratulations on thread of the month. !

Love the story its almost like a fiction novel, just need the current owner sign up to fchat and contact original poster to say he's happy to see the car go to somebody who has the passion that has been shown here.

Glad you have been able to recconect this car to you and well done to all involved. Consider it an electronic pat on the back. Well done !

18. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    Great Thread. Post those photos again here if possible...

19. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Tommy, what a fantastic story. I hope you get to see the finished car, and perhaps keep the momento of the large horse. I remember reading your old pics thread and thinking this is a seriously influential car in your life.

If I ever sell my 308QV of the last 9 years, I makes me sad to think I wouldn't be about to carry on keeping an eye on it.

Dave

20. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    What an amazing thread.

21. mulholland ferrari

Aug 9, 2004
    Sherman Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry O'Rourke
    #71 mulholland ferrari, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just read through this entire post on the yellow / black 308GTB that you have found after all these years. I too am well aware of the nostalgia & impact these cars had for many of us years ago.
    My father bought a 1977 308GTB s/n - 20631 (red/tan) in October of 1980. I remember the day he drove up in it to our home like it was yesterday. I was absolutely blown away. That car was so absolutely stunning, it just stopped me right there, just awe struck. The lines of the Berlinetta's are by far the best looking. He had been wanting to buy one for several months & finally found what he was looking for. We lived up off of Mulholland Drive in Los Angeles just east of Coldwater Canyon & that first evening I will never forget sliding down into the low bucket seat, putting on my seat belt & going for the ride of my life as he ran up through the canyon & along the Mulholland "racetrack" stretch of road from Coldwater, Eastbound to Skyline Drive & then on towards Laurel Cyn. The car handled like it was on rails & the smell of the leather & the exaust note was absolutely intoxicating. This was a month before my 16th birthday.
    Needless to say, this had an "enormous impact" on my life from that point forward. I will also never forget blasting down the 405 Freeway in it from Los Angeles into Newport Beach.
    That car not only handled well on canyon roads, it was great on the highway as well.
    He ultimately sold the car in 1984 to a friend of his in Naples, Long Beach California. Dr. Grubs was his name. He had the car until about 1988 / 89 when he traded the car in to a local Chevrolet dealership on a Corvette. From that point, this car has never again surfaced anywhere that I know of. There was a rumor that it possibly went to Japan & is still there in a collection.
    I contacted Robert Retzlaff who holds the 308GTB registry & asked him if he possibly knew of where the car was & I had him add the VIN (s/n-20631) to the registry. One day hopefully the car will surface somewhere.I would very much to find it one day.
    In 2004 I purchased my first Ferrari, a 1988 1/2 328GTB (s/n-77394). www.mulhollandferrari.com
    It has been one of the absolute best experiences of my life. I have shown the car in numerous concours events, taken her down Highway One from Monterey twice, driven through every great canyon road throughout southern California & have just enjoyed the car to no end. I absolutely love the fluid flowing lines of the 308 & 328 Berlinetta's & feel these cars are the last of an era that was so appreciated by so many of us enthusiasts & people here visiting this website.
    Its good to see you have found where this yellow GTB is after all this time. Stories like this are terrific !
    Best Regards,
    Larry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Larry, I've seen your car many times - literally from coast to coast! Forza GT! Did you purchase it from MacKellar in Leesburg, Virginia?

Sadly, I don't know the current whereabouts of your father's old car. It was last seen for sale through Edmondo Fanale of Glendale, CA, April, 1990, red/tan, 34,000 miles.

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Thanks, Larry. I love these stories. It makes us all brethren

24. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    I'll check my files for that number

25. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What an incredible story.

Small world...I fell your excitement and am happy for you Dr. T. :)