Pista Spider or Speciale Aperta | FerrariChat

Pista Spider or Speciale Aperta

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by plastique999, Jul 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Torn between the two now… values are similar at this point.
    Factors in consideration:

Design
    Drivability
    Sound
    Value

First two, design and drivability, Pista would be an easy win.
    Sound, I thirst for the F1 pitch and found it in my previous Speciale with full system IPE straight piped. If the Pista were straight piped, could it sound nearly as good?
    Value, this is where it seems unpredictable. Today, both are in the $700k range. SA 1/499 should go up. Pista Spider, how many ?…. will values hold?
    Really it’s about timing as well.
    Perhaps enjoy Pista Spider now and later pick up SA for long term collectibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bundy, NewYorkLego and spyderman like this.
  2. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I'd personally go for the spec, it's basically the perfect car.

I can see these going for silly amounts of money in the future.

3. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Being the last normally aspirated V8, in the long term the value of the Speciale should fare better than the Pista.

harrisonwebb, Adamas, FFan5 and 3 others like this.
  4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Obviously this all comes down to subjective tastes and magic crystal ball predictions, at which everyone fails.
    So the question only is: what do you prefer based upon what you are seeing in the market?
    I have a feeling future values, even if differing by several hundred grand will have exactly zero impact on your own future financial health.

For me:
    Design—458SA
    Drivability—equal
    Sound—458SA
    Value—who cares?

Adamas, Andynyc and plastique999 like this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Can't go wrong either way but to me the Pista is the better total package regardless of the 458 being NA. If your concerned about long term value I believe they will do equally as well but no one here has a crystal ball. The market will always fluctuate.

9650max, Bundy, njcycleguy and 3 others like this.
  6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Great point…value should be placed lower on the priority list, as it doesn’t hold any emotive value. I guess this aspect is all about timing. Values being equal today, I may try the PS for now and if it doesn’t tug at the heart, then the SA could be a future long term keeper.

The other 3 factors are what stirs the soul.
    Interesting how you voted differently with the 458SA - you like the cleaner design? Pista more aggressive but SA smooth.
    Drivability I guess depends on if one is seeking performance vs a sense of rawness. Sound, well there are tons of threads, won’t beat a dead horse. But I’m wondering if straight piping the PS will get close to my previously straight piped Speciale.

These cars are like dating women…who said it - “I’m not a player, I just crush a lot”

Andynyc and italiafan like this.
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

When it comes to the Pista design I really have a hard time with the transition from the angular (even squared off edges) of the front “wing” part ahead of the s-duct over to the dramatic waterfall design of the front bonnet. When you stand in front of the car and look down the edges of the front section are nearly 90 degrees. I also don’t like the enormous “caked-on” look of the rear diffuser unit. From the side view at the front the pointed upper part relative to the lower spoiler looks like a bad overbite on a shark to me.

The overall design of the Speciale (SA) to me is more harmonious, more female beauty—but it is a female that has spent time in the gym with a muscular physique, not just soft and round (like Roma). The curves flow from one body section to the next, smooth transitions, like it was sculpted from air. To me, again all IMO, the Pista is “trying too hard” to be cool and relevant looking in the modern Instagram-exaggerated-age.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Highly agree with the design and sound being better with the 458 and drivability being about the same. If buying as an investment I’d buy the 458 too but the great point made above I would agree with “several hundred grand will have exactly zero impact on your own future financial health” if looking at cars in this stratosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

italiafan likes this.
  9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Vote for the 458SA, this video is such fun

pw268, Tito1969, Boots and 1 other person like this.
  10. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    This one is easy for me since I absolutely cannot tolerate the look of the Pista’s front bumper/S-duct. Front certain angles, it looks pre-crashed from the factory. A stubbed nose if you will. Obviously looks are only subjective. When it first came out, I wanted to buy one - because Ferrari! The dealer wanted to sell it to me as well. But I just couldn’t pull the trigger every time. It’s a great car otherwise! Although, even if straight piped it won’t come close to the IPE on your old Speciale.

plastique999, Tito1969 and italiafan like this.
  11. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    Spec A. Keeper for me along with acr-e. Last of an era.

JTSE30 likes this.
  12. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I think if you drive aggressively on the road, Aperta all the way. If you do track driving and/or keep the traction control on, perhaps the Pista would be better for you. The added power is undeniable.

For me, CT Off in a Speciale is the way to go. I can overdrive the rear some without fear of death. I did 300+ miles in my Speciale on the tail of the dragon today, and at no point did I find myself wishing I had the Pista's extra boatload of torque. The Speciale has plenty for spirted street driving. (Now if I was at a high horsepower track, and you were buying the brakes, I'd want a Pista. :-D )

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Design. Pista
    Drivability. Pista
    Instant gratification. 458 SA
    Rewarding effort. Pista
    Sound. Straight piped Pista
    Value. Ask the crystal ball

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Thecadster likes this.
  14. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Plastique -

Enjoy reading your posts and love looking at your white cars …. Go 458SA ;). I think your gut wants that one - long term keeper.

MDS

plastique999 likes this.
  15. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    IMO the SA will do better value wise. Last NA and known limited production.

While all the VS cars are a bit raw, each successive VS car has moved away from the sports car end of the continuum and toward the GT end. For me, the SA is the best balance of any of them, neither too raw nor too smooth.

The Pista has made more strides toward usability and comfort which is great if you want to tour with the car. IMO it has given up some of that rawness that I seek in the VS cars.

plastique999 likes this.
  16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    At these prices, neither. Wait for the pop.

Then it’s just preference. SA is wobbly as a driver. Pista doesnt sound as good, but the rest is stellar.
    If buying for appreciation, Speciale.

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Appreciate it and you are right, long term I’ll shoot for an SA
    Guess I’m trying to have a fling with the Pista Spider?… I may enjoy it ….

LARRYH likes this.
  18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Why would there be a pop? (price goes down)

the EU is making it clear all combustion engines must exit production in less than 15 years and every new Ferrari reveal forever more appears to only be hybrids and eventually EV-only

I presume all Ferraris that are not hybrid/EV are going to continue to appreciate because that's it, it's all over, that makes all Ferraris "limited production" since there are no more after the F8 exits production (and Roma/Portofino)

italiafan and Thecadster like this.
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I wouldn't count Front Engine Wet Sumps. But either way they will also be V6's/electric

20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    These cars exist to instil excitement and enhance the enjoyment of life. How many actually purchase a super car as an investment. The overwhelming majority of exotics are depreciating assets. Purchasing one that is not your driving preference due to it depreciating at a slower rate than the more exciting car that will be less valuable at the end of ownership, seems to defeat the intended purpose of purchasing an exotic. Only in the circumstance where both cars provide equal satisfaction but in different ways, would the degree of depreciation take on greater significance.

21. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I've had both... I kept the SA. Both for the long term appreciation as well as drive/sound.

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    There is a perfect Pista Spider spec in Canada. Has anyone brought a car into the U.S. from Canada?
    Difficult process?
    Effect value ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I own both, and love driving these great spiders. The Pista is more advanced, but the extra revs on the speciale is more fun than the rapid redline in the Pista. The Aperta feels more raw and less refined but very confidence inspiring. I prefer the sound of the high revving Aperta over the Pista’s turbo muffled bellowing exhaust, but the aero on the Pista is superior and I love it’s looks. It’s a really tough choice, but I think the Speciale Aperta will be more historically significant because it’s the last naturally aspirated V8 so if I was forced to keep just one of them it would be the Aperta.

24. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree with all of that re: the design- it's why I went with the F8 spider instead of Pista/PA. I usually feel like that about most track variants and 'updates'. I think the F12 looks waaaay better than the TdF, the F8 looks waaaay better than the P/PA, the original Aventador looks waaaay better than the S/SVJ, etc.* Now granted- all 3 of my Ferraris are gray and are specced sans scuderia shields, so I'm likely not the most representative barometer by which to guage what the true Tifosi like. Within the last year, a gray TdF sans shields popped up for sale. I really wanted to like the car, but just couldn't get over how 'busy' ('fussy' as Chris Harris would say) it is, and just couldn't pull the trigger.

Mike

* Dont even get me going on the new 812 variant- 'overwrought' would be charitable.

italiafan likes this.
  25. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I bought my first Ferrari from Canada many many years ago. At the time it was NAFTA and the 2.3 percent import tax was waived. A host of documents certifying that the car met EPA/Dept of Transportation precepts had to be filled out. The selling dealer can process those for you. BTW the aforementioned Pista Spider I notice is tailor made with delivery miles. A spectacular find and selling at prevailing prices less than you would find here in the US; worth a call to the dealer to determine if it is a fit and can be imported.

plastique999 likes this.