Pin 61 Y connector on fuse panel? | FerrariChat

Pin 61 Y connector on fuse panel?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Feb 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Hi all,

Installing a rebuilt GT Car Parts fuse panel today and I am looking over things before connecting.

1988 Euro car, was federalized in the 80s upon entry to the US. I have (mostly) sorted out the hack job but today is a new discovery.

This pin according to what I see goes to a single wire, a yellow with pink stripe or SG color in the manual (small gauge). Mine has two wires (poorly soldered) onto a damaged connector. I have spare connectors but the schematics do not show that there should be two wires there. The second wire is a larger gauge yellow wire. Both of these wires appear to be factory installed but I question if one is supposed to be elsewhere. I don't see on the

They relate to side lights, number plate, etc. in the circuit based on the fuse feeding that pin. Interestingly, my rear license plate light 12V power wire is just grafted to a pin back on the passenger side tail light parking light 12v. I know that isn't the way it is supposed to be but don't know where else it should be. All pins in that connector are populated and I'd skipped over that detail in the past.

I'm all ears if someone knows where these should be connected properly.

Thanks all! Trying to avoid headaches is making my head hurt!
    Cassidy

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    You've found one of the sins that Ferrari sometimes commits on their schematics. If you look at Fig 7 in the US TR 509/88 wiring diagram, you will see only a single small (0.8) SG wire connected there in the y connector. However, if you look at Fig 5 in the US TR 509/88 wiring diagram, you will see only a single normal (1.0) G wire connected in that same y connector position. Consequently, there should physically be both a 0.8 SG wire and a 1.0 G wire connected at that y connector terminal, yet no single schematic shows two wires there.

To make matters worse, I think they mangled things a little on Fig 7 where they show the SG wire going to the 62 central tunnel clock, then to the 102 Light for Tape Recorder Box, and then becomes a G wire labeled "To the 132" (which it the right rear taillight). However, Fig 5 shows the G wire from the y connector is what goes to the 132. (And this seems mucked up in both the US 509/88 and the euro 459/86.) My guess is:

The small SG wire only goes to the 62 clock and the 102 Light for Tape Recorder Box (which I think is the light in the little hinged covered box in the central tunnel between the seats).

The normal G wire goes to the 132 rear running light, 138 rear side marker light, 122 engine compartment lights (via the 117 switch), and the 133 rear number plate lights.

I believe that is correct. One of the terminals should have three G wires all swagged together (one is +12 power coming in from the y connector when the running lights are "on", one goes to the side marker light, and the third goes to the engine compartment lights and rear number plate lights).

3. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Outstanding news, thank you Steve. This seems correct, as the car fired right to life. I can't believe how strong the idle feels, no charge indicator light on and it can turn the hazards on without the radio light dimming. Love it. Best mod I have done to the car.

Now to solve the exhaust install...one pipe on the Nouvlari is slightly pigeon-toed...always something...! Thank you.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm still confused, Steve. What powers the driver's side running lights. The original diagram shows the driver's running lights connected to 102 (the Tape Recorder Box). If the big yellow wire from relay panel connector Y goes to the passenger running lights and engine compartment lights AND "the small SG wire only goes to the 62 clock and the 102 Light for Tape Recorder Box", how do the driver's side running lights get power?

Thanks for any insight.

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    On Fig 5 (509/88), the trace on the PCB that goes to the G wire in the y connector has a branch that goes off thru the c connector to the front running lights on both sides. You're right, I didn't realize that both rear lights are called 132 -- the G wire from the 102 must go off to the left rear running light (but that still seems a bit odd to me harness-layout-wise).

Qavion likes this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Odd indeed. I wonder if it's a typo. On the 512TR, the left rear lights are wired into the right rear lights via a splice near the engine lid light connection.

7. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Well now you've got me wondering what conditions have to be met for the engine lid light to come on? Mine hasn't ever worked, I suspected the bulbs but they are fine. I am guessing the switch is my next order of business.

I've had a number of systems off the car whilst de-federalizing my poor gal. The third brake light was a grafted-on Corvette part and looked horrid. That is sorted now, but I was in there dealing with rewelding the engine cover bracket.

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Are you saying that, with the running lights (or headlights) "on" and the rear bonnet raised, your engine compartment lights do not come "on"?

9. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Correct, but now I know the lights have to be on. That was the missing piece for me. I will diagnose it from there. I'll look for resistance in the switch on the rear lid. Thanks!

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    For info... The switch is actually spliced into the wiring for the tail lights, side marker lights and number plate lights.

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell