Parts and Oil Recomdations | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Parts and Oil Recomdations

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by imcc, May 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION ON THIS OIL BRAND.. HAS ANYONE USED THIS OIL IN THERE CARS..

JOHN

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My BB512i came with synthetic blend Agip SINT 10w-50 too and I have been using full synthetic Castrol TWS 10W60 for years with no leaks or problems whatsoever...that synthetic causes leaks claim was made decades ago when Mobile1 first came out...

3. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Bumped into a site that compared Amsoil with most other major brands (but Agip, Redline, or Sweepco weren't included) in 7 different areas on...

www.oil-tech.com/motor oil-comparison.htm

4. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    OK. Enough is enough.

I'm going to flush the engine with Amsoil Engine Flush AEF. I'll then fill it with 20W50 Amsoil Synthetic Premium Protection Motor Oil ARO.

If it explodes, I'll post the pictures.

5. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Heinekin F@#% that Sh*@......Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After all of my research I am going to run Rotella 15/40 and change on regular intervals in everything except my corvair which I will finish up some Redline and then run Rotella and continue to change on regular intervals. Oil selection will make you crazy.

6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Is anyone following Ferrari's recommendations when switching brands of oil?

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Does synthetic oils fight off this problem better than mineral based?

8. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    #33 ricar116, May 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Fair question with the acid. I don't know however I would not extend service intervals because I was using a synthetic. I don't think commercial synthetics were available at the time my car was manufactured 1974. Would be curious to see what later 400I 's and 412's oil recomendation Ferrari made. My book says Shell Super Motor Oil no weights, then gives Temps and weights of Shell 100 40wt,30wt, and for really cold 10/30. The only thing I found on Shell Super Motor Oil was this ad off E-Bay. Don,t know if it is remarkable by todays standards. One thing that I can assure you is is that whom ever you talk to their product will be the best and they all have data. My advice is to select a recomended weight from a reputable motor oil company and change frequently. Oil selection will make you crazy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Ferrari recommended AGIP Sint 2000 SAE 10W40 for the 1988 Ferrari 412, which is a blended synthetic.
    Picking the best oil is impossible, but selecting a very good oil is not that difficult. Few of us are hammering down a racing circuit at 200 mph +.

Stay with a blended synthetic, the more the engine wears, the less important it will be to have a fully synthetic oil. Some garages in the homeland of SAAB and Volvo, Sweden, recommend high mileage cars to revert from fully synthetic to blended in order to minimize leakage, even for very new cars, taxi, fleet operation etc.

Pick the viscosity Ferrari proposed and most important of all,
    - warm up before revving up,
    - change filters and oil regularly, the cheapest way to keep the engine in good condition.

10. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I've often read in publications on Ferrari to change oil often, but don't change filters every time--as the filter traps particles it filters to a finer degree. Any thoughts out there on this?

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I've often read in publications on Ferrari to change oil often, but don't change filters every time--as the filter traps particles, it filters to a finer degree. Any thoughts out there on this?

12. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Gotta say that I've never heard THAT reason for not changing a filter!!!! Please cite the article and source for that comment.

Look, the filter performs best when it is new. It does not screen out more gunk as it gets clogged up.

A Ferrari engine rebuild costs $20K plus. A pair of UFIs for the 400i is $50 and 19 quarts of Mobil 1 is about $120 on sale. Maybe a lot compared to 4 quarts of Costco oil on sale for $2/quart and a $5 filter for your Toyota, but really, why would you even think of skimping on frequent oil changes every 3,000 miles, especially when that is 18 months of driving for a lot of Ferrari owners?

There is no cheaper means for ensuring the longevity of your engine than making sure that it is full of clean and fresh oil.

John

13. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    I've been using a partial synthetic in my 81 400i on recommendation of my mechanic since my last oil change, and it's been working well: Castrol Syntec 20w50.

14. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Good deal! Sounds like Castrol Syntech is a good substitute to the partial synthetic Agip 10W/50.

For the life of me, I can't locate the discussion of filter change freq.--it's going to require a total reread to find, but haven't given up!
    I've run into the 3k mi. freq. a # of times, and its been coupled w/3 mo. interval--unless you're driving 12k mi/yr, still supposed to dump it @3mo.(I admit , I didn't qualify my filter freq. in regards to this). To be more specific, it was suggested that the filter be changed every other oil change(& not for the reasons of economy---economy has no place in the exotic world).
    In Allen Bishop's 'Ferrari-Guide to Performance', he states "Never consider any printed material as infallible, this book included. Just because a book is a factory publication does not preclude error. I believe several well-entrenched misconceptions were initially rooted in factory errors! Always recheck your references, especially if a fact or figure arouses your suspicions." For that reason alone, I search out info. regarding Ferrari. I find that publ. of earlier models to the 400 very useful, laying out the foundation from which they evolved from, gaining a better understanding of their development.
    Bruce

15. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Its not uncommon to see recommendations for daily driver cars about changing the oil filter every other oil change, but I believe that is solely for reasons of economy and not because the effectiveness of the filter increases with age and use.

In general, the trend these days with oil monitoring systems is to go for longer oil change intervals. The ability to continuously monitor the performance of motor oil should help make sure that the oil is used to its maximum effective life and not changed too early, which creates an environmental and disposal problem.

Absent that capability and given the high cost of Ferrari engine rebuilds, I think that it makes sense to err on the side of changing the oil and filters too early rather than too late.

John