Pappy Van Winkle 20yo | FerrariChat

Pappy Van Winkle 20yo

Discussion in 'Other Parts & Collectibles' started by JAM1, Nov 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #1 JAM1, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've got a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old (bottled 2013) for sale. I see these listed for $2k and selling at auction for around that. Will sell for $1,500. Located in FL. Can FedEx to you or meet for pickup. PM me to make arrangements.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    yum, yum, yum

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#3 dm_n_stuff, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. bkthomps

bkthomps Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2012
    USA
    the listed prices of these bottles and the "actually trades hands for" prices are very far apart, i'd buy the bottle from OP but only in a FTF transaction, and not for 1500

i have about 15 bottles of pappy in my collection, i buy them often, if you run out of patience waiting for someone at that price point, PM me a real price and your location in FL

5. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    At those prices, do people actually open up a bottle and drink it for special occasions?

Or, is it just a collector's commodity, to be traded as a limited-edition product? Something, that when actually "using it" devalues it...kind of like a Ferrari?

6. bkthomps

bkthomps Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2012
    USA
    most collect them, speculation on future values i suppose, i drank a bottle of my 20year last year (i paid $140 for that bottle), but i have many more on shelf

there's also a market for the empty bottles, crooked bars/restaurants will use empty bottle and refill with some weller reserve or other similar pallet whisky and sell for 50/shot or something crazy

sad but true

7. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    For what it's worth, auction records show these bottles routinely "trade hands" for $2k+/-. Here's a few recent sales:

$2,000 Bonhams : Pappy Van Winkle's 20 year old
    $1,700 Bonhams : Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve-20 year old
    $2,300 https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2915T/lots/1816
    $2,300 https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2915T/lots/1817
    $1,800 https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2904B/lots/389

I'm pretty aware of the values as I've got a rather large collection of bourbon and have collected for a number of years now. What prompted this offering was going through and picking the next ones to open I noticed I had a few 2013s and decided to sell one off. Given there are slight sell fees for auctions and what the sellers actually get from the sale I offered this here to cut out the middle man. I think the price is reasonable judging by confirmed sale prices, but would accept close offers too.

8. bkthomps

bkthomps Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2012
    USA
    ah, we're believing the "sale prices" on the auction sites to mysterious buyers in the far east

the reality is they trade hands for a few hundred over retail in most cases, if you want- price your bottle at the bottom end of the market and list it up for sale, see how long it sits

i've had a few listed like this and realize the only winner is the auction sites who get the listing fees, there aren't buyers at those price points

9. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

This year the retail prices have gone up dramatically. A bottle of 23yo that was $200 last year is $350+ at the store. Sigh.

10. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I brought my 23 year to a 4th of July party. 20 year had over dinner.

11. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Don't like it, don't buy it.

Just my 2 cents.

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Pappy 20 is delicious, I prefer mine on the rocks with diet coke. :)

13. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Blasphemy!

14. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This is now sold... thanks for the interest.

15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    You aren't kidding.

That's one sick joke or the availability of blending whisky is completely foreign.

I think I will be sick.

16. Saleenseeker

Saleenseeker Rookie

Sep 19, 2016
    I remember the when I could have bought this at 150 per bottle when I owned a liquor store about 10 years ago.... damn if I only knew that it would have been a collectors item.

17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    But of course! :) :D

18. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    FWIW, I never put stock in auction prices for anything other than one of a kind (or similar) items. If a 275 NART Spyder sells for $25million, then that sets a bar. If some lunatic gets auction fever and pays $200k for a 1983 308QV...different story.

Pick any F car and compare dealer ask prices with what Fchat readers know they actually sell for. I'd imagine it's the same thing here.