Paint Code Red 85 QV | FerrariChat

Paint Code Red 85 QV

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Steve Fergsuon, Nov 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Fergsuon

Sep 10, 2018
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Steve Fergsuon
    Hi
    I'm almost through the resto of our QV
    Our restorer has scanned the paint but of course its faded and has had touch ups over the years so he's asked if we know the original paint code

The car is going to be fully repainted

When I search around I get different answers, is there a definitive paint code for red QV's

Thanks
    Steve

2. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    There are others on this board who can/who will provide better info but the first question is which red? Presumably you are talking of “Ferrari” red which is normally associated with Rosso Corsa, although Ferrari does have other reds (eg Rosso Monza).

Temple

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    No. But there is a clue in the title of your thread.
    You have to have a look at the label under the hood if you want a respray in the original color, to know which shade of "Rosso Corsa" you car was originally sprayed with. If the said label is missing, you have then to ask somebody with a car produced at about the same time than yours what the label says for his car.

There is no such thing as "Rosso Corsa", as there has been many different shades of Rosso Corsa used by Glasurit over the year: the color always keep the name "Rosso Corsa", but it varies...

Let's forget about the Glidden Salchi paints before 1981 (for carbed cars and the first injected 2-valves) in which range the traditional "standard Red" was "Rosso Chiaro" (meaning "light red", but nevertheless slightly darker than the succeeding "Rosso Corsa"...)

"Rosso Corsa" was introduced by Glasurit during the production of the first injected cars. It started as such ("Rosso Corsa"), then a first slight change in the color happened with its renaming as "Rosso Corsa 300", then another change as it was renamed "Rosso Corsa 300/6", then mid-1987 the shade called "Rosso Corsa 300/9" used only on the 288GTO was adopted for all the other production models; then "Rosso Corsa 300/12" appeared in mid 1991, etc...
    In a nutshell: each shade was slightly brighter and "orangier" than the one preceeding it.

Being a QV, your car could be in "Rosso Corsa 300" if it is an early production QV, or "Rosso Corsa 300/6" if it is a later production model...as the title of the thread says your car is a 1985, the answer is at 99,99% (never say never, or 100% sure with Ferrari...) "Rosso Corsa 300/6"

Rgds

moysiuan likes this.
  4. John Hasty

John Hasty Rookie

Jul 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    John H. Hasty
    My 1989 Mondial t has a Glasurit sticker under the rear trunk lid 300/9 if that helps. My problem is that I have been unable to find any supplier with that color.

Steve Fergsuon likes this.
  5. Steve Fergsuon

Sep 10, 2018
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Steve Fergsuon
    Wow, thank you for the detailed response
    Appreciated
    Steve

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    IIRC, there is a factory paint chip "hidden" in the engine bay of 308s. I believe it's somewhere on the left hand side. Not sure if it's found on Mondial's as well.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    According to the book, Original Ferrari V8 by Keith Bluemel, Ferrari used FER 300 for Rosso Corsa from 1980 to 1983. FER 300/6 was used for Rosso Corsa from 1984 to 1989.

The book also says that Glasurit was used from the 308 through the 328 and 348.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    One of a number of errors in Bluemel's book:
    1. the change between 300/6 and 300/9 occured definitively mid-1987. My April 1989 328 GTB is still in its original paint, and its 300/9. And so says the label under its engine hood.
    (That is not relevant to the original poster's question, BTW)
    2. The change between Glasurit and PPG as paint provider occured in the middle of 1998, during the 355 production: some of the 355 built in 1998 are still in Glasurit, until the existing paint stocks were exhausted...while some other cars, produced at the same time, were already in PPG.
    A very difficult period to follow...

Rgds

Wade and Rifledriver like this.
  9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I was just going to point this out. Ferrari changed to PPG in anticipation of being forced to switch to water based paints. At the time Glasurit did not have a good water based product and PPG did.

10. Steve Fergsuon

Sep 10, 2018
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Steve Fergsuon
    Great, that seems definitive
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hopefully a Mondial QV owner will chime in to provide additional confirmation.