PAD INSIDE TRUNK LID PEELING OFF | FerrariChat

PAD INSIDE TRUNK LID PEELING OFF

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by billg, Jun 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Anybody know what kind of glue I should use to reattach the pad, that sort of quilted material on the undersides of the trunk lid and hood?

2. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    If yours has a foam pad like mine, I would use a simple spray-on adhesive. You can find it anywhere.

I haven't done it, but I would guess it is a job you can't screw up......

3. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    You will find you need a very strong adhesive because weight of carpet/pad and gravity work against you! It took me 4 attempts with different glues to get the boot (trunk) pad to stay up.

Keepin the Faith,

Ray.

4. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Ray, do you remember the kind of glue that finally worked? It's true, this is about the only thing on this car I can do with confidence. Thanks for the replies.

5. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    I have drawn a deep breath, bought the 3M adhesive spray, and have one more question before I uncork this stuff: do I need to remove the old adhesive residue, or can I spray over it.

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I have read you can spray over it. Then make sure you spray both surfaces to be glued (the lid and the foam) to make sure it sticks. And don't be shy with the amount you use.
    BT

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Oh yeah, and make sure it is high temp adhesive, or the engine heat might undue it while you are driving.
    BT

8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    there's also brush-on glue called "Bargies" that shoe repair shops use - will glue leather/vinyl/most anything porous to metal.

9. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Thank you both. I'll commence the job. the glue is actually barges. I looked it up on the Internet and found it on a web site run by some dude who is obsessed with glue and actually names a Glue Of The Month every month.

10. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi,

...also 3M Yellow Weatherstrip Adhesive works excellent....I have had good luck using this for the carpet pads.....

Anthony