p1448 OBII code | Page 2 | FerrariChat

p1448 OBII code

Discussion in '348/355' started by Labman, Apr 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree. My boots on the two connectors going to the two solenoids are torn and the wires are exposed. I siliconed them for now but they definitely will be a problem going forward. Is there a link to these specific Dave Helms connectors? And can they be done by a do-it-yourself-er?

I think I found my issue with the p1448. I removed the bypass valve for further inspection and found that the flapper inside will not close all the way. About a half inch gap. So it seems to the ECU that the valve is stuck in the open position and throwing the p1448 code. Swapped out the valve for another that closes all the way. This should be the end of my CEL for now...I hope!

2. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    Did the new bypass resolve your issue with the p1448 code?

3. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes!!! Thanks. So far 350 miles and no CEL. Replaced the by-pass valve thermoprobe for nothing. Oh well. Now I have a spare.

4. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The valve is adjustable so I hope the working valve was free.

5. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My original valve was broken. It was spot welded but accidentally in a slightly open position. Never noticed it was like that until I took it out for inspection. And yes...the replacement valve was free!

6. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Glad to hear.

7. puddas

puddas Rookie

Jan 31, 2011
    Labman, have you had any further issues with the CEL codes. I’m getting both 1448 and 0410 on my car. The car is idling at 700 on start up which strange. Gonna try the fuse amp first

8. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sorry. Sold my 355 back in 2013. Best to remove the valve and do an inspection to see if it is failing ie. getting stuck.

9. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    generally you can hear if the valve is opening/closing Bc the engine pitch will be noticeably different. Should be an indicator if you have an issue with the valve and control mechanism (vacuum/relay/etc) or the temp probe actually detecting the exhaust coming by.

10. puddas

puddas Rookie

Jan 31, 2011
    Thanks bcar1. It sounds like it’s working just wondering whether I’m not getting full open and closure when it’s doing so. I’ll investigate further

11. PhilF355spider

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Phil Wolejko
    Hi Everybody, I have been fixing up my 1996 F355 Spider Motronic 5.2 with almost 20k miles on the clock. Just signed up as I've been going through a "search and see if it solves the problem" operation for about 3 months… I've seen so many similar problems on forums to my SDL light, then CEL, however, along with the similar thermoprobe error discussed here, mine showing temp too low from the right and center ones, and immediately at start up. I have the additional problem of thin white smoke at cold start, then THICK white smoke 3-5 minutes after start. The engine starts running rough, the first bank was flooded with fuel after these first problems, oil as well. Now changed ECUs thinking they were bad, after that, checked if the Motronic itself was healthy - all circuits good… I prefer not to take it out for a hard drive to see what happens as this may damage something really at the cause of the problem. Head gasket is not leaking coolant. The engine burned a liter of oil during a 30 minute drive. The car is USA market originally, have it in Europe now - I even thought the fuel octane was too high, drained it, and put in 95...still the same. Electric problem? Mechanical? I appreciate your comments. I have come to this forum as my mechanic and I are stumped… btw, it is not at a Ferrari Service, but also thinking, maybe it's time to transport it there, as maybe they have a secret switch that we don't know about?? Please help :)

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    "The engine burned a liter of oil during a 30 minute drive. " - that is way excessive I would do a leakdown pronto see if you have a ring or valve issue, that oil is going somewhere and in 30 minutes you will be dangerously low on oil.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

PhilF355spider likes this.
  13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Compression test,
    Leak down test,
    Coolant pressure test

Post your results.

PhilF355spider and f355spider like this.
  14. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Is the oil overfilled?

PhilF355spider and Qavion like this.
  15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    +1

Who changed the oil? Did they follow the correct procedure for a dry sump car?

16. PhilF355spider

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Phil Wolejko
    Will see if I can do this now - may be quite difficult with the engine already back in...

17. PhilF355spider

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Phil Wolejko
    I'll definitely do a compression test and coolant pressure test. Let you know

18. PhilF355spider

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Phil Wolejko
    Nope

19. PhilF355spider

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Phil Wolejko
    My mechanic changed the oil. He is experienced with dry sumps. All correct procedures followed according to the workshop manual anyway… The oil level was perfect.

20. PhilF355spider

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Phil Wolejko
    Additionally what we'll try to do now, just after receiving the Motronic 5.2 unit back in perfect condition, is bypass the thermoprobes and ECU Modules by loading around 2V direct into the Motronic. If this kills the SDL, then maybe there is a light in the tunnel… Will update

21. PhilF355spider

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Phil Wolejko
    Compression test done. Looks healthy: Results between 11.8 and 13 bar

22. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Phil -

I had the same p1448 issue back in March/April. Loading ~2v into the Motronic 5.2 will only tell you that at least 1 of 6 potential components is bad, i.e. 1 of 3 thermocouples or 3 catalytic control units. I wound up bench testing all components to isolate the culprit(s). I bought a generic K-type 5mm thermocouple for a few $ off of Amazon to act as my baseline. I then bench tested the new thermocouple with each of my CCUs and found that 1 was functioning properly (left bank), 1 was giving sporadic readings (right bank) and the 3rd CCU wasn't functioning at all (bypass). Fwiw, the non-functioning CCU had the black potting compound.

If you heat the thermocouple to the point where it just starts to glow (I used a rather unscientific propane torch), output from the CCU will be in the 2.0v-2.25v range (which is the same 2v that you're loading into the Motronic) - at least in my testing. Once I found a properly functioning CCU, I was then able to bench test all of my thermocouples, which were all functioning fine even after repeated testing for consistency.

At the end, I changed out two of my CCUs with replacements from Technistrada in New Zealand. Problem solved as I haven't had a p1448 since. Ymmv.

Gialllo uno and PhilF355spider like this.
  23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Are your oil and coolant colours/textures ok?

Just wondering what would happen if oil/coolant heat exchanger was internally damaged. If coolant gets into the oil, can it find its way into the cylinders and create white smoke?

PhilF355spider and Ferrarium like this.
  24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Right generally white smoke coolant, blue oil. Not sure how coolant gets into cylinders but perhaps oil gets into coolant and then overflows out of expansion tank? That's a good working theory right there. Any strong odor in the engine compartment when engine gets hot?

25. PhilF355spider

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Phil Wolejko
    Thanks for your reply, actually I just realized that i wrote that I exchanged the ECUs, but meant to write CCUs. I purchased 2 original CCUs and 1 thermoprobe (the wire to the thermoprobe was damaged/stripped and it was throwing variable amperage). After assumption of basically eliminating the bad thermoprobe and CCU problem (which basically turned out not to be the problem, the Motronic 5.2 ECU unit was sent for a check and turns out healthy. So, yes, maybe you can have a point because maybe the computer is still rejecting 2 unchanged probes and 1 CCU.

Here’s something new: new oil in, whole exhaust disconnected, turned on the engine for a cold start. No smoke at all!!! But it still flashes a SDL! Why?