p1448 OBII code | FerrariChat

p1448 OBII code

Discussion in '348/355' started by Labman, Apr 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I know there have been many posts on this including by me when I first go my 355 8 mos ago but I'm having the same issue again. CEL came up. Got code P1448 from my reader. Bypasss valve was recently fixed. Took the valve out..still functioning properly. Cleared code and yesterday,after about 100 miles, it came on again. P1448. Checked the vacuum from the valve to the selanoid, no leaks. Found a split in the vacuum hose where it attaches to the selanoid nipple the first time so I thought I fixed it by cutting the split off and reattaching the hose. Very pissed off when that damn CEL came on again right before I was pulling into my garage. BTW...all my ECU's are the olive green ones so I know they are not the older style black ones. If it were a bad CAT ECU, wouldn't the CEL have come on again immediately after I cleared the code the first time? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Steve,
    we need to do a bit more diagnostics to determine your actual problem. I would suggest you swap the thermo probes and power from the center Cat ECU and right side Cat ECU. They are adjacent to each other, so a simple swap. Drive it for a few cycles and see if the problem moves, or stays. If it moves, you probably have a bad Cat ECU. If the problem stays, you need to investigate the functioning of your exhaust valve function some more.

My car had all the Cat ECUs changed to green ones a long time ago, by the previous owner. I had one fail just the same a couple years ago. The green are more reliable, but still not perfectly so.

3. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'll give this a try. What connectors do I swap...just the three pin connectors, the two pin or both? And not to sound stupid but what exactly am I doing by doing this swap?

4. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You need to swap both connectors. The ECUs are identical, so if one is bad, you will see the code change from P1448 to probably P1449.

Make sure you clean all the CAT ECU connectors as well as the solenoid connectors. I have seen multiple cases where the solenoid electrical connector was the issue.

5. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    One thing...if an ECU is bad, wouldn't the CEL come on immediately? It took about 100 miles for it to come on again. Checked my valve out and it is fine. Going to test it with a vacuum gauge next by running a line into the car with me and see if there is vacuum when the car is under load. Going to tackle this step by step to see what the heck is going on.

6. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    No. The ECU can be intermittent. It took over a month after I swapped things around to confirm the problem moved, which confirmed a bad cat ECU. I got some great help and advice from Ferrari of Seattle in diagnosing my similar issue.

Here is the full explanation: My problem was the opposite of yours, I had a intermittent "slow down" light on the right side cat, with the Motronic cutting power. Since the dash display on the 5.2 Motronic does not give an indication of which side is bad, I took it to FoS for further diagnosis. They connected it to their SD1 (I think) and it showed no issues (since it was intermittent) and would not act up for them (typical!). Mark Glenwood the service director made the suggestion that it was most likely the right side that is acting up, based on his experience. I have also learned this to be the case, because the right side cat ECU and center cat ECU are most vulnerable to the elements, due to the location, low and on the right side, tucked in under the bumper. Water gets splashed on them driving in the rain, or through puddles, and they can get splashed when washing the car. Good reason to get the Helms gold connector kit and thicker, tighter fitting connector boots. I disconnected mine and had water in the connections! New boots fixed that up. The reason is the oem boots fit loosely, and crack and split. Water runs down the cables and enters through the boots, and gets into the connectors.

Anyway, Mark suggested swapping the connections between the right and center cat ECUs and drive it that way for a while to see if the problem moves. I was having the issue of the "slow down" light almost every drive. He mentioned it might take a while to see the problem move, as the parameter sets in the Motronic are wider for the center cat ECU than the right or left side cat ECU.

So Steve, if you swap the connections, the problem could crop up quickly on the right side, and not take a month like in my instance. But....you never know. ;)

7. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ok latest update. Cleaned the contacts to the bypass valve solenoid. Hooked up a vacuum gauge to the line going to the valve. I have vacuum. It comes on at various loads and RPM's which I'm assuming is normal. So its not the valve. Not sure if I fixed the issue by cleaning the contacts to the solenoid. Have to wait and see. I'm going to tackle this one step at a time by a process of elimination. If the CEL comes on again, I will do the cat ECU swap (assuming 1448 comes up again). Thanks for the advise and I will definitely keep you guys posted.

8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #8 f355spider, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    I think you would have a much faster diagnosis using my method. It would at least give you a quicker direction of where to look. I think you already said you felt the valve was working normally, and it is pretty obvious when it is not, as you will not hear the normal "howl" at wide open throttle. ;)

9. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #9 Labman, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    OK. You convinced me. I'm going to swap the connectors and see what happens. I'm just a bit baffled about this ECU stuff. I really don't even understand what these CAT ECU's do! So far I put 85 miles on my car since I cleaned the solenoid connector to the bypass valve and verified that the valve is actually functioning. No CEL yet. My thought was that maybe it was the bypass valve all along and by me cleaning the solenoid connector (which the electrical contacts did seem a bit green) now is actually working all the time and maybe before it was only working some of the time thus throwing the 1448 code. Just my analytical mind at work. But it does seem quite simple to do the ECU connector swap. Details to follow...

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I am not an expert, but my understanding is on the left and right cats, the cat ECU monitors the temperature of the cat, and detects an overheat situation. Initially it will blink "slow down", but if it gets hot enough the light will be steady and it will shut down that bank of the engine. It may or may not set a "check engine" light fault code.

For the exhaust bypass valve, the cat ECU monitors the temperature that is on bypass, confirming proper operation of the bypass valve. If it is hot when it should be cool, it knows the valve is stuck open and will set a "check engine" light and fault code. Same if it is cold when it should be hot, then it knows the valve is stuck closed, and sets a fault code and CE light.

11. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well it's done. Now I just need it to stop raining so I can take it out for a spin to see what happens. Will doing this put my car into "limp" mode instead of just the CEL coming on again? I just don't know what to expect. Sorry for all the questions. Still kinda new at this stuff!

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It may shut down the right side bank as I described....it depends on the failure mode. It might just blink. When mine did it, it shut down the right bank, but only for a few seconds, then the light went back out, and all was fine. But it would do it again, 20 or 30 minutes later.

13. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Finally got to drive it today. Hit it hard for about 30 miles. Nothing yet. Rain again tomorrow but Sunday it's off to a car show so I'll probably clock another 50 miles or so.

14. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ok...CEL back on. 1448 and 0410 (secondary air injection). I hear my air pump working at cold start up so I know it's not that. I'm at a complete loss. What next?

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The P0410 is confusing. If you are still getting the P1448, I would suspect a bad thermo probe (since it is the only thing we did not change), which is the sending part that connects to the pipe just past the exhaust bypass valve, then has a cable/wire that runs to the Cat ECU.

The reason for the P0410 I have no idea, if the air pump is working fine.

I would return the connectors back to the proper locations. The next step is either swap thermo probes between the right side catalyst and the bypass valve (to see if the problem moves to the right side catalyst)....or just go ahead and buy a new thermo probe, and install it just past the bypass valve. It most likely is bad.

16. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #16 Labman, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Connectors returned to original locations. I'm going to order a new thermocouple and give that a shot. $195 so not too much to spend. On my driver side header the air hose going to the secondary air valve (part #165446) has an abrasion tear in it and the braiding inside the hose is partially exposed. This was found by my indie shop (Bradan) a while back. Just removed it for further inspection and what I found is a complete tear in the hose under the clamp! Now we know why there is a P0410 code! So now obviously ordering a new hose as well. Will update as soon as my Ricambi shipment gets in and I swap everything out. This is nothing short of real detective work. Thanks for the help Hugh!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Steve,

Keep up the good work!!! Much worse then it looked like from above.

18. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #18 Labman, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    CEL back on...p1448 again!!!!!!! Not the ECU, not the valve and not the thermocoupler. What do I do now? This is really frustrating me.

20. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I still think it may be related to a bad electrical connection at the solenoid. Did you clean both the connector and the receptacle well? I use a metal brush and contact cleaner. Since the solenoid is activated frequently (every time the valve opens) it builds up oxidation quite rapidly. I had to clean the connections about every 6 months until I installed Dave Helms' gold connector kit. I haven't had a problem since.

-Tom

21. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes...cleaned all my connections with electrical connector cleaner. Solenoids and both ECU's on that side. Vacuum tested the line running to the bypass valve with a gauge and there was vacuum at various RPM's and different loads (I ran a gauge to the driver seat from the engine compartment and held the gauge in my hand while driving to see that there was vacuum). Also visually inspected the valve to see that it was opening and closing...all is well. Exhaust is stock except for Tubi headers. What else could it be? Do I just keep clearing the CEL and deal with it being that I know everything is functioning properly? Is there anything else that can be throwing the code?

22. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    On mine, I could clear the codes and then watch the OBDII reader while wiggling the wires to the thermocouple ECUs and the solenoids and get the P1448 code to appear. That is how I knew it was an electrical issue. It seemed very intermittent while I was driving, but when I moved the wires with my hand the code would appear every time. After trying all the wires one at a time, I narrowed in on the solenoid wire. The contacts were green and very corroded. I finally replaced them with gold connectors to solve the problem. I have also seen the identical problem on another F355.

Gialllo uno likes this.
  23. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My solenoid connector wires also seem to be a bit green as well. I got in there with a sharp instrument and scraped them down to the bare metal as well as I could. This could be the problem. Maybe I'll do what you did and have someone look at the OBDll reader while I do some wiggling. One other thing...when I was inspecting the bypass valve itself I noticed even though it was functioning properly, it wasn't 100% closed when I looked at it. There is a small gap at the top of the flapper that faces the engine. Not big but still not closed 100%. Is this gap supposed to be there? I'm wondering if the ECU is picking up exhaust heat and thinking that the valve is stuck open. Not sure if anyone has a valve that is out of their car right now that can check this.

24. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm not sure of the answer regarding the bypass valve question. Maybe somebody else could respond to that.

25. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If you redo the connectors, you absolutely need to replace the connector boots with the ones from Dave Helms kit. The oem boots fit way too loosely, and allow water intrusion down the wire and into the connector.