Opinions on this Duck, Please. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Opinions on this Duck, Please.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by UroTrash, Jan 31, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #26 UroTrash, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There's your answer in a nut shell. More comfy. Easier to take care of. And a GLORIOUS sound.

My old 916 was a stout, well made, confidence inspiring machine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The service interval is still 6k and 12k but the are half the the clearances to check. Plus there are no flaking rocker problems to deal with as well.

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Jason,

Thanks for the info.

Uro - that 916 is (was?) nice! Good luck on the hunt for a 900SS

4. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Yeah, tell me about it.

I had to have 4 rockers replaced.

Who knows where all those flakes got stuck!

5. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Thanks!

6. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I got lucky and only had 1 on the 748.

I like the Monster that I have now but I don't like to just sit and stare at it like the 748.

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #32 tundraphile, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    If you invest in changing over to mbp collets you can extend valve adjustment intervals to 18k from 6k. The half-rings they have patented are probably how Ducati should have designed them in the first place. Know a few people on Ducati.ms and Speedzila that swear by them for the 2V motors.

Another company named california cycleworks which has been around for a number of years has just came out with their own timing belts for most Ducatis at substantially reduced prices compared to OEM. They use a belt suppliers (I assume Gates or Goodyear or the like) to contract manufacture the belts, just like Ducati does. I plan on getting a set for my 999 this spring, they are about half what Ducati OEM belts cost.

8. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    #33 BoxerCrazy, Feb 1, 2010
  9. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have always liked the paso. Some don't but I have always been able to project back to the period a bike was built and appreciate the styling. If I could just get my wife to lift the 1 bike rule I would get one.

I thought about the MBP collets for the 748 maybe I'll get some for the Monster. I saw the thread about the belts and I already have my next set but you can bet I'll give them a try in 2 years.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

#35 ferraripete, Feb 1, 2010
  11. mad360

mad360 Rookie

Feb 13, 2010
    berger
    Full Name:
    hanz
    for that amount of money you can buy a monster instead. you can check out craigslist for good deals.

12. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    The 900 SS-SP's had some issues with the aluminum swingarms: Cracking, and quite a few suffered that failure. I sold my 94 to a person that suffered a swingarm failure to cracking. I also had a lower triple clamp failure at the fork pinch bolts, probably from overtorquing at the factory, as it failed with less than 600 miles on the machine. Head bolts were a problem, and I changed mine on every 900 I've owned. If you go for a superlight (900SL) with the Marvic 2 piece wheels, they had problems with proper torquing of the rim to hub fasteners that resulted in failures, so make sure you check the VIN's against a list of the problem VIN's Ducati issued.

My fascination with the 900 SS models is their light weight, relative simplicity, and killer mid range torque, and they are fine looking machines; with a good set of high pipes like Termi's, a set of V2 cams and some 42mm Keihin flatslides, we are talkin very fine aural emanations that'll stand the hair up on your arms and neck and put down almost 86 RWHP around 6500 RPM. For a road bike, I really love the experience of riding one. I bought my first in 94' back when nobody seemed to ride Ducs in my part of the country. The thing sounded like a hot rod and handled well, and quickly distinguished itself as a very capable sport bike when I was on rides with other folks on other brands. And it was red, very red, and Italian, and a real attention grabber wherever you parked up, oozing 'character'. Now, ducs are everywhere. Still, the 900 is a great value for what you get......and you can find a pristine example for $3500 if you keep your eyes open.

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #41 BigTex, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
    It's not even $3K?

He refers to a Buy It Now but I don't see one in the add...

How do you ever stop for a hamburger without a kick stand?

Only 5 hours left on that one, in Austin.

The other one on eBay (white/black) is appraised at $30K???

It's in Pebble Beach, Pete can you go by and pick it up for me?
    It has a kickstand.

15. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #42 tundraphile, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-Ducati-900ss-CR-BLK-White-Mint-Only-10-Produced_W0QQitemZ180472117193QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item2a04f9f7c9
    Crack-head dreamer. $30k LOL. The bike is worth $6500. Tops. On a good day. With a sucker buyer.

He obviously has no idea what he has. The CR variation (aka "Cafe Racer", "Cost Reduction", or "Cut Rate" depending on who you ask) was not offered until 1994. In 1992 there were full fairing and half-fairing 900SS bikes, mechanically identical besides the fairing. on this particular bike the only thing special is the color, which was factory and the half-fairing is a bit more rare than the full-fairing. But it wasn't a limited-edition, just a standard model anyone could walk in with about $8500 and buy back in the day.

Ironically the black was so unpopular compared to the red that some dealers repainted the black bikes red to get them to sell when new.

Seller has comments at the end of this link. Clueless.
    http://raresportbikesforsale.com/1992-ducati-900ss-black-on-white/

16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Just sit down for a moment, it'll pass. :)

There's a reason they're called "donorcycles" in the healthcare communities. :eek: :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Interesting link......thanks!

18. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #45 yzee, Feb 27, 2010
    Small world. Read 2nd link above. I ran into this guy in 92 on a twisty back road in SE Ohio riding this. He was very new to cycles. Sorry about the pic. I'm still asleep. I also bought a Duc from Hinds. I almost bought that black one from this Doc and it wasn't going to be no $30K. I ran into him later that summer at Mid-Ohio. Is the internet making this place smaller?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Is that a Kerker on that Flying Brick? I had an 85'....

20. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Luftmiester.

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    So if I offer him $5K that would be an okay deal? +/-????

7K miles isn't too bad...

22. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I can't tell, is that 3 or 4 cylinder K bike?

23. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's a 1989 K100RS ABS Special. Came as blue and white with white wheels. Almost all other parts were black powder coated from the factory. What wasn't, I powder coated. Fork tubes, a piece here and there. Stripped as bare as I could get it. Back fender gone. I owned over 20 motorcycles. Ducs, fast Jap stuff. Something about this one makes me keep it. I'll get a better pic later.