Opinions on this Duck, Please. | FerrariChat

Opinions on this Duck, Please.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by UroTrash, Jan 31, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I'm starting to get that funny feeling again. Any opinions on this bike appreciated.

900SS in Asheville

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

#2 ferraripete, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
    900ss is a great bike. they are (with mods listed) wheelie machines and very good in the twisties. i prefer the full fairing 900ss more than the cr but would also note the cr does not come w/ fully adjustable front fork like the full fairing ss does.

that said, this bike has some good mods and the giacomotos sound fantastic and as they are low pipes...you can still have a passenger along.

very good wheels...i wonder what the width of the rear is?

while the wheels were upgraded, the brake rotors are still stock steel and not grey cast iron floaters like i would hope for but not a deal killer.

flat slides wake a 900 ss up nicely as well as sound even better.

i wonder with that mileage if a 944 big bore kit was also installed?

good chioce in dot rubber.

could be a great bike and with the exception of the price seeming a bit high, looks like a nice package. $4k is fair money if as good as it looks and sounds.

very great adult bkies and can still do all one needs to keep up at the gap!

pcb

3. ferraripete

and btw...let's call it a duke! so much cooler than a duck!! lol

4. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #4 UroTrash, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sadly the name Duke has been usurped.

I always liked the idea of "Ducks and Geese" (Ducatis and Guzzis)!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I appreciate the SP for the upgrades, but I sure like to see a little motor under the tank! :)

The price is down to $4500, at a Ducati dealer, so not a bad place to start. No mention so I'm sure the bike needs a service.

6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I understand the only real weak spot is possible irreparable fracture of the swing-arm and the forks cannot be rebuilt?

8. ferraripete

#8 ferraripete, Jan 31, 2010
    the rear swing arm can always be replaced w/ the sp part. no problems. i loved my 93 ss and would also say that black wheels are a must!

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    how much is the 20k service on a Ducati? valve adjustments, I assume, on a desmo motor?

otherwise the bike looks decent in those pics. I too like the 900SS, not quiet a sport tourer but more comfortable (and probably less likely to bite back) than a true sportbike.

have you owned one before? Will you be disappointed with its level of performance after some of the other bikes you've owned?

10. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    No. I had a 916. I'm older and less bendable. I don't need a lot of HP.

11. blackforestauto

blackforestauto Karting

Jul 6, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think it's a big plus that it's being offered by a Ducati dealer...I wouldn't expect they would retail a bike that old if they didn't feel pretty good about it. Ad mentions new chain, sprockets and tires, so (depending on what "new" means to them) it sounds like it has been serviced recently.

Seems to me the "grins per dollar" ratio would be off the charts...go for it!!

12. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    I do not like the fact there is only the upper fairing, leaving all the components exposed down below.
    The oil cooler is hanging down there like an afterthought.
    The same goes for the oil reservoirs for the front brake and the clutch: why can't they do a better job than hanging those ridiculous plastic jars with one screw on a bracket?
    For the price one pays for a Ducati they should use top of the line components, not cheap plastic stuff.

13. deanhalter

deanhalter Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2008
    Norco, CA
    Full Name:
    Dean Halter
    #13 deanhalter, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I like the look of the half fairing bikes. As for problems, they will have all been rectified by this point in build run. Early models had head bolt and frame issues at the headstock.

I also agree that the flatslide carbs are the way to go. I have ridden all kinds of "super" bikes up to a 1098R and I can tell you with this bike, you will not be bored. As for black wheels, I disagree:

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #14 Wade, Jan 31, 2010
    Whoa, that's a nice bike! I searched high and low for a black 900SS... never did find one.

15. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    #15 Axecent, Jan 31, 2010
    I have had 3 900SS-SP/SL's, seen head bolt problems, cracked swingarms, leaking oil, rectifier failures, etc. but I still love them as a visceral, simple oil and air cooled, fairly lightweight, torquey L twin with good grunt and great sound. I would choose an SP model over this as you can get them with all the same mods (except wheels) in the $2500-$3K range and they have adjustable Showa forks and a full fairing. I prefer the 42MM flatslides over the 44MM's. They just work better with the stock cams and airbox. These bikes are about midrange. The heads are so inefficient that they are done by 7500 RPM unless you want to throw money at headwork.

I saw a perfect FE go for $3000 last year with 4400 miles on it, with high carbon pipes, solo tail. Much better deal than this, IMO.

I would say to keep looking......unless those wheels seal the deal for you. I am guessing that the rear is a 5&1/2" hoop width?, BTW. This bike doesn't need a tire wider than a 180 on it.

16. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #16 UroTrash, Jan 31, 2010
    Thanks. I always find a 180 turns A LOT better than a 190.

Anyone find me a perfect 900SS for $3000, you got $500 in your pocket. PM me.

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  18. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    oops :eek:

20. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The CR isn't worth $4500, but is worth more than $3000. $3500-3800 is probably more like it. The SP offers upgrades like the aluminum swingarm and the big one is adjustable suspension.

As far as buying from a Ducati dealer, that would not be a big plus or minus in my experience. I bought both of mine from Ducati dealers and had to take the fairings off both literally the first day on each to fix issues that should have been addressed during their service before I took receipt of the bikes.

The price in today's market for an SP is close enough to the CR, buying a CR doesn't make much sense to me. I have been thinking about getting one as well, but only the SP.

Here is an example that looks pretty good, this one just sold over the weekend.
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195691

And a couple more around the country.
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/1551534677.html
    http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/1994-Ducati-Supersport-900-SP-95053872

21. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #21 UroTrash, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  22. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I would say no more than $3500 otd. I paid $5000 for a mint 96 SP 10 years ago. Great bike and tons of fun to ride. Not a mountain of HP but plenty of torque and such a sweet sound. I think keep looking unless they are willing to cut a deal.

Good luck.

23. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I think I know the answer, but curious why the 900SS over a 916/996/998 - is it purely comfort or something else?

I love the 900SS both CR and SP, but slightly less so than a 916 variant, or even the last run of 888 bikes. I don't ride much anymore since my kids were born, but if I were to acquire a toy, it would likely be one of those.

Again, just curious as you already owned a 916.

24. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #24 Ducman491, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    The 900 is a 2 valve motor and air cooled so maintenance costs are lower and it has a different power delivery than the 4 valve motor. Then it is far more comfortable than the 916 series but still more capable in the turns than most of the average Joes riding them.
    I miss my 748 for the way it looked and at the track but I miss the 900 as an all arounder.

Oh and I prefer Duc to Duke.

25. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It's been awhile since I looked at these - what is the scheduled maintenance and how does it compare to the 4-valve Superbike motors?