Oil problem 2017 California T | FerrariChat

Oil problem 2017 California T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Jonathan Gross, May 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonathan Gross

Feb 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gross
    Car is 60-70 miles back from a full service, 2-3 weeks ago. The other day the check oil light came on. I brought it home, no oil on dipstick what so ever. I consulted the manual, checked it exactly as indicated, no oil on dipstick. I filled as indicated with 5-40 synthetic. It took three quarts to get between min and max. I took the dipstick readings exactly as described in the manual. The dealer wants the car back to check it, as the oil indicator refuses to reset. The dealer said they billed for about 10 quarts, but the manual states 13.7 capacity. They are afraid I over filled. By the way, the PSI was about 30-35 at low rpms, hasn’t changed, from before I added oil. No leaks are readily apparent. Any thoughs? I am under warranty.

Sent from my Ferrari iPhone

2. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Hi Jonathan,
    The same thing happened with my 2016 California T.
    Oil light came on and I could not find a trace of oil on the stick.

I called the dealer service manager who at first tried to tell me that was normal.
    That lasted about 45 seconds. He then said I should drive it back to them, a trip of about 12 miles.
    I said I wanted them to assume responsibility if driving it caused damage.
    He then said I should add oil and I refused.
    At that point I think he decided it most likely was a goof by them at the annual service the day before and he sent a tow truck to pick up the car. I went along and they checked it right away and also I noted they only put in 10 quarts. At that point they added the missing oil and everything was normal. They never did admit they goofed and it appeared that a newer mechanic did the oil change.

i had no further problems.

Steve

whatheheck likes this.
  3. Jonathan Gross

Feb 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gross
    My experience is that I called two other dealers and they verified that they only need ten quarts. The other problem is that the check oil indicator won’t reset. Even though the dip stick indicates correct oil level. The dealer is flat bedding the car this morning for the 90 mile ride. On the warranty dime.

4. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Checking oil on dry sump is not quick. besides a level surface you must bring to operating temp, (idle for 5 min) turn off, remove the dip stick and filler cap, then wait 5 minutes for oil to drain back, before checking the oil level on the stick.

whatheheck and tomc like this.
  5. Jonathan Gross

Feb 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gross
    Did that

6. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cali T Oil Capacity is 13ltr or 13.7 quarts, but my annual oil changes from FOA states 11 Quarts?

7. Jonathan Gross

Feb 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gross
    Not a little confusing. Sounds like the dry sump system doesn’t drain completely.

8. miamiron

miamiron Karting

Sep 3, 2016
    I know this is an old post, but wanted to share my recent experience with the check oil level warning not going out.

Had the oil changed by the dealer in Feb of 2023. The check oil level warning came on 2 weeks ago. Daily driver. Checked oil according to manual, level low, added a quart. The manual says to fill it to the MAX mark (strange, dealers say they keep it near MIN). The manual also states the check oil level warning will stay on for a prolonged period of time (and the workshop manual says the same). I didn't want to fill to MAX, just enough to turn off the light. I was told it has to be really low (well below MIN mark on dipstick) to come on. Got the level dead center between MIN and MAX. Still the warning light appeared.

With the warning staying on, I ended up checking the levels every time I finished driving the car. It was become a pain in the rear because the light just would not go out (after a week/15 starts/runs). I was starting to get concerned. I trust the dipstick before I trust the sensor. However, still drove it low RPM not to raise oil pressure to 70+...

So I did the full battery reset procedure. Following the reset and relearn process, as soon as I put the key in and turned to position II (not starting the engine) the check oil level warning appeared. I even inspected the air filters and MAF sensor, all good no traces of oil. Was going crazy.

Dealer said if there is no "oil pressure warning" light, to just drive it in. So I did. They did a reset on the check oil level warning, said they needed to add "a little bit of oil" and the sensor was outputting correct numbers. Dealer said if it comes on again, the sensor may need to be replaced. Told it's not covered under New Power Warranty. Oil pump and sump pump are, not the oil level sensor. I'm convinced the warning would never have turned off on its own.....

However, I've gotta tell you, there is no better feeling knowing you just had the issue fully inspected by a Ferrari technician, given the thumbs up, and then leaving the dealer driving it like a Ferrari wants to be driven. The stress and concern completely melted away.

Long story short, check oil level warning came on, added oil, warning never went out, had to take to dealer to reset the warning and confirm proper oil level. Cost me 250 bucks.