News

Oil problem 2017 California T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Jonathan Gross, May 4, 2021.

1. Jonathan Gross

Feb 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gross
    Car is 60-70 miles back from a full service, 2-3 weeks ago. The other day the check oil light came on. I brought it home, no oil on dipstick what so ever. I consulted the manual, checked it exactly as indicated, no oil on dipstick. I filled as indicated with 5-40 synthetic. It took three quarts to get between min and max. I took the dipstick readings exactly as described in the manual. The dealer wants the car back to check it, as the oil indicator refuses to reset. The dealer said they billed for about 10 quarts, but the manual states 13.7 capacity. They are afraid I over filled. By the way, the PSI was about 30-35 at low rpms, hasn’t changed, from before I added oil. No leaks are readily apparent. Any thoughs? I am under warranty.

Sent from my Ferrari iPhone

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Hi Jonathan,
    The same thing happened with my 2016 California T.
    Oil light came on and I could not find a trace of oil on the stick.

I called the dealer service manager who at first tried to tell me that was normal.
    That lasted about 45 seconds. He then said I should drive it back to them, a trip of about 12 miles.
    I said I wanted them to assume responsibility if driving it caused damage.
    He then said I should add oil and I refused.
    At that point I think he decided it most likely was a goof by them at the annual service the day before and he sent a tow truck to pick up the car. I went along and they checked it right away and also I noted they only put in 10 quarts. At that point they added the missing oil and everything was normal. They never did admit they goofed and it appeared that a newer mechanic did the oil change.

i had no further problems.

Steve

whatheheck likes this.
  4. Jonathan Gross

Feb 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gross
    My experience is that I called two other dealers and they verified that they only need ten quarts. The other problem is that the check oil indicator won’t reset. Even though the dip stick indicates correct oil level. The dealer is flat bedding the car this morning for the 90 mile ride. On the warranty dime.

5. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Checking oil on dry sump is not quick. besides a level surface you must bring to operating temp, (idle for 5 min) turn off, remove the dip stick and filler cap, then wait 5 minutes for oil to drain back, before checking the oil level on the stick.

whatheheck and tomc like this.
  6. Jonathan Gross

Feb 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gross
    Did that

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cali T Oil Capacity is 13ltr or 13.7 quarts, but my annual oil changes from FOA states 11 Quarts?

9. Jonathan Gross

Feb 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gross
    Not a little confusing. Sounds like the dry sump system doesn’t drain completely.