360 - Oil pressure warning light - normal or not? | FerrariChat

360 Oil pressure warning light - normal or not?

Discussion in '360/430' started by howard easton, Jul 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. howard easton

howard easton Rookie

Jun 25, 2016
    united kingdom
    Full Name:
    howard easton
    when I start my car after a day or two, the sequence goes:
    1/ immobiliser off
    2/ key stage 1, engine check light comes on and then goes off.
    3/ oil light comes on and then goes off. At this point the engine isnt running so this oil light has to be a circuit check only.
    4/ turn key, engine fires
    5/ oil light comes on, is on for 2 secs and then goes off as the guage begins to register pressure.
    6/ oil pressure guage shows pressure build uup to 70 psi at cold idle
    7/ engine off

If I restart the car after just 5 mins than 5/ above doesnt happen - no light. This suggests the problem , if it is a problem, is oil drain

Car is 18000 miles. Warm oil pressure at idle is 35psi and at revs is maybe 80 psi. No oil smoke or oil consumption.

Is this normal?

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

normal. no worry

3. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    18k miles......drive that thing!

4. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    yup, all good seems to me....

5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Do you have an OBD reader that can read both ECU banks? Did you check for codes? This is the best way to be sure your car is operating normally. If you ever want to know if there are any problems lurking in the engine bay, check for codes.

This should be considered a "best practice" for owning these cars. They generate codes without ever throwing a CEL. The only way to know if you have one is to check. I suggest a cheap Autel AP200 (about $75).

6. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Do not believe that a code reader would indicate an oil pressure issue if there was one.

7. howard easton

howard easton Rookie

Jun 25, 2016
    united kingdom
    Full Name:
    howard easton
    what seems to be happening is drain back of the oil supply - the light only flashes on if the car has been stood for a few hours after use. The filter has an anti drainback rubber flap so I replaced the filter in case it was faulty. No difference. Looking at the scematic of the oil system, I cant see anything else to condier other than a weak oil pump. Bit surprising given the mileage and when the hot oil pressure is around 80 psi above 2000 rpm and between 25 and 35 at idle.

The oil pressure guage mirrors the oil pressure light which suggests that the sensor for the light isnt faulty.

The concern is that I once had a classic car that suffered from this issue and eventually wore the camshaft bearings out simply because of a slow oil feed on start up.