{Off Topic} Any P1's? Big Metroplex radio changes | FerrariChat

{Off Topic} Any P1's? Big Metroplex radio changes

Discussion in 'Texas' started by FarmerDave, Dec 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #1 FarmerDave, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
    Very interesting changes today in the face of Metroplex radio, if you're a passive local media geek like me:

Russ Martin is out at 105.3, and they've gone All Sports All The Time. Competing directly with the Ticket (KTCK 1310 am) which ESPN Radio (103.3) has failed pretty miserably at.

(Insert shot at the ticket for not being ASATT themselves. Aren't you witty.)

The Ticket is a ratings powerhouse in DFW radio. Russ Martin is also a big time heavy hitter, but an alleged aggravated assault incident involving a gun had put him on thin ice.

Ben and Skin recently left the "nurturing bosom of the mothership" (KTCK) to move over to 105.3. I wonder if that was the chicken or the egg? 105.3 also has rights to Texas Motor Speedway events, and also has aired the weekly motorsports show "Speed Freaks" which is NASCAR heavy, but to give credit where credit is due, I have heard lots of F1, Cart, IRL, A1GP, IROC, Baja, etc being discussed.

Anyone else even remotely interested seeing how this all plays out?

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It will fail, the Ticket been around too long & has a strong following. As for Russ, he will most likely wind up on satellite radio. His show was good for a couple laughs but could only last for so long.

3. jeffashcraft

jeffashcraft Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2006
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ashcraft
    I am a P1 (but listen to Greg Williams occasionally on ESPN), hence, I cannot imagine building a franchise around Ben & Skin.

The ticket is a radio version of the stuff that gets discussed sitting around a table with friends and having a drink..... you can just drop in and always feel at home and get caught up on the current situation.

Due to their 'entertainment news' segment, I know what is going on in pop culture at the same time that my 19 year old daughter does (and it gives us something to talk about around the dinner table) --- In fact, she didn't even know that Fat Joe had left Atlantic!

105.3 will also fail IMO

4. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Was a little suprised at Russ being canned, he was a consistent #1 ratings draw, that's no small feat in a city the size of ours. Hard to believe his scape with the law had anything to do with it, though if you listen to his show, you can probably see him being capable of his 'alleged' offenses.

5. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I tried 105.3 twice in the last 2 days, and it is pitiful.

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Fat Joe left Atlantic?

Not only did Ben and Skin leave the nurturing bosom of the mothership, but Kscott and Pete Stein also have popped up over there, anchoring shows. Tough thing, pal.